cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Rift CV1 Owners: Will you plan to purchase the Rift-S ??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The news is out, the new face of Rift is now the Rift-S:

Some new info came in that sheds more light on Rift-S:
a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus' messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own the other.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-oculus-its-no-longer-a-burden-to-get-into-virtual-...

Here's the best YouTube video on the topic, with a great interview with Nate Mitchell from Oculus:

The Rift-S seems to be a refresh of the Rift product-line, and its primary target audience seems more aligned with "new PCVR users," as opposed to alluring existing Rift CV1 owners to partake in a long awaited upgrade. So my question is... how many of you Rift CV1 owners are planning on purchasing the Rift-S based on the information we have now??

278 REPLIES 278

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

KenSniper said:

It's a tough choice for me, I definitely will not be getting a Quest because I only intend to get SteamVR games. So for me the Pros are
  • Passthrough
  • Higher Res
  • Inside Out tracking
  • Easy to adjust 
According to some who has tested it, you still get full range of movement even from behind and is it apparently quite comfortable.

Te only cons for me is that I already own a fully decked out rift with 3 sensors, extension cables etc, which i feel is a big reason why many others and myself are so reserved about getting a Rift S, because we have spent a lot on the accessories and equipment. But as of now I am pretty well inclined to getting it, I just hope it is released soon so more users can get their hands on it to review.

You missed out upgraded lenses mate, but yeah good list. Btw, I don't really understand what passthrough means? Can someone explain that to me? I read a lot of people mention passthrough and how it's great but I don't really get what passthrough does?

Also I'm in the same boat as you mate, but I'll wait for them to confirm if they will let us use your existing sensors with Rift S, I think they will because apparently the hardware supports it but they need to update the software so hopefully they will.

Either way, eventually I intend to give my Rift CV1 to one of my cousins/friends who can't afford VR but wants to get into it, that way we increase the player base for multiplayer games 1 gamer at a time! 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Lujho
Expert Protege

You missed out upgraded lenses mate, but yeah good list. Btw, I don't really understand what passthrough means? Can someone explain that to me? I read a lot of people mention passthrough and how it's great but I don't really get what passthrough does?

Passthrough is a stereo video feed of the real world that you can switch to on the dashboard whenever you want to see things but not not take of your headset. 

I hope you can have the choice to have passthrough activate just whenever you hit the Oculus button to access the dash - that would be super handy.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Lujho said:

Passthrough is a stereo video feed of the real world that you can switch to on the dashboard whenever you want to see things but not not take of your headset. 

I hope you can have the choice to have passthrough activate just whenever you hit the Oculus button to access the dash - that would be super handy.

Oh that sounds cool, suppose it makes it handy when your looking for the beer on your desk or some chocolate.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Lujho
Expert Protege

Oh that sounds cool, suppose it makes it handy when your looking for the beer on your desk or some chocolate.

Yes, especially since the Rift S seems to have a design that blocks out more light around the nose area so you can't just look down to see.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Lujho said:

Yes, especially since the Rift S seems to have a design that blocks out more light around the nose area so you can't just look down to see.

If I write any software for the Rift-S, I'll add in an optional virtual nose gap, so it does a little passthrough to simulate a CV1. I find the nose gap damn handy. (If the gap gets annoying, I just turn the lights off, something the Rift-S can't handle)

Actually I've just thought of an awesome use for the Rift-S. Something that a certain segment of the VR community would love, that can't be done with Windows MR or Rift. But I don't want to say anything yet until I see if the SDK can handle it (whenever they release an SDK with Rift-S support) and I can make a demo. Damn it, guess I need to buy one. 😞
(Oh well, I've already got 6 VR headsets (7 when Quest comes out), might as well get an 8th one too)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Neawoulf
Protege

We've already gone over all this in the other thread though, visually what you see does apparently look better to those that have tried Rift S for 1 hour at the GDC conference. How can you say viewing through new upgraded GO lenses would not look better? and then apply SS to 1.5 or more and your good to go?

It's like people are purposely forgetting the positives.

Also don't forget, realistically it's a refresh not an upgrade. And for new users joining Oculus they will have an amazing experience trying VR for the first time using Touch controllers. They will have a clearer image then we had when we first used our Rift CV1, they will have better optics and 99% reduced god rays.

So try stay positive and try stay patient for Rift CV2 that will come out next year.

EDIT: I was pretty depressed after the conference because of lack of headphones...but then I got over it and looked at the positives as all we can do is move forward. Think about what games your most excited about, when Stormland comes out with Rift S and your playing Stormland with Touch controllers 2.0, do you really think whilst your playing your going to say "oh this is terrible"....I highly doubt it....I believe the words you will say is, "wow, this is amazing, VR is amazing".

I know the lenses are better, the tracking works great, the screen resolution is a bit higher and there's less screen door effect visible. It's all a bit better, but there's no feature that really convinces me to pay 400 EUR again.

One very important factor for me is the field of view. I'm using my Rift CV1 primarily for simracing and i want to see other cars and my mirrors without constantly turning my head. The Rifts fov is just enough and i don't want to buy another headset that's just as enough as the previous one.

The Rift S is certainly not a bad headset and it's a great headset for those who enter VR for the first time. But for me as someone who had the DK1, DK2 and the CV1 since it was released a few years ago the Rift S is simply not upgrade enough to replace my CV1 because it's missing features (like a larger field of view) to really feel an improvement.

*edit* Can't change my decision here, but now i'm fighting again ... Rift S or HP Reverb? They both have the strong points and weaknesses. A Rift with the display (and fov) of the HP Reverb and i'd buy that thing instantly.

CrashFu
Consultant
Gamers spend years crying about the resolution needing to be higher, so Oculus gives us an additional 200x240 per eye...  and people act like it's a big deal that they couldn't squeeze in another 120x160 to match the Vive Pro?

This resolution upgrade is more than halfway between the Rift and Vive Pro, a significant increase; and yet the Rift-S is only going to cost $400 compared to $1300 for the Vive Pro.  THAT'S. A BIG. DEAL.

For people to see that and decide to just whine about the literally imperceptible drop in max framerate or still not having FoV that extends into your peripheral vision  (which would require too many tradeoffs, especially in terms of cost, for virtually no practical benefit)  that's just being pretentious for the sake of it.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Aekero
Heroic Explorer
I changed my mind...just sold my Rift, honestly I've said it before but it's smart for them to build up a user base rather than cater to the hardcore. I'm upgrading because

1. I do think it'll actually be an upgrade, between increased res and reduced mura I think it's going to look great... not as great as some of the crazy displays out there right now, but a lot of what I've read has said it's pretty hard to sustain decent frames on anything that is super high res. Performance > everything else.

2. It's only going to end up costing me $150 to upgrade....that's not bad at all. Someone had posted a "what do you want from the next rift" topic earlier, and really I only said three things: better res, check, higher fov, nope, affordable, check.

3. This is annoying because it's rewarding something I'm against, but I'm buying into the infrastructure and exclusivity. I hate the idea of buying a vive or wmr or pimax and having to rely on somewhat hack-y methods to run Oculus software. Not only that but technically at any point Oculus could say "nope" and try to block other hmds again, just not worth the risk. 

Digikid1
Consultant

Richooal said:

Lolloso said:

It is a side step? Maybe; but you can always sell your rift to someone else; isn't what we are doing with phones every single year? 🙂

You might think you "need" a new phone every single year, but I have more important things to waste my money on. I keep mine for 3 years minimum, as long as they are working.
I don't subscribe to this throw away mentality that some people have.

That’s a rare thing called COMMON SENSE.  You and I appear to be one of the few that still believe in it. 😄

rgrlee
Protege
I will buy it just for the bump in resolution and the inside out tracking.  I hate those stupid base stations on the current rift.  I only play DCS and racing sims on it, so I don't care about the rest of it.