cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fallout 4 VR - recommended settings in November 2018, and SteamVR SS on Rift

MarsKat
Explorer
Hi, there's a lot of contradictory information on FO4 VR settings, and a lot of it seems to assume Vive usage or a certain version...
1) What's the current best recommend Rift settings (for a Gtx 1080) as of now (late November 2018)? (I realise that there's some subjectivity to this... )
2) Any proven .ini files/settings would be appreciated.  :). (yes, I've trawled Reddit, but looking specifically for something current, and Rift)
3) Any proven mod list, if you went that way (more interested in performance enhancement & bug fixes & essential UI conveniences, rather than changes to the vanilla game experience)
4) Is there a simple setting to show FPS in the HMD?
5) Is there a simple setting to show if re-projection (or its variants) is happening/their rate in the HMD?

More generally, but in the context of FO4 VR if you know it:
5) Can anybody clearly explain the relationship between performance settings in SteamVR and their effect on the Rift, and Oculus's equivilant settings? ie Super Sampling, re-projection (and its variants) etc. and similarly...
6) How do Oculus Tray Tool settings relate to SteamVR's ... over-ride, augment, irrelevant etc.? Is OTT the tool still the best tool available?

Thanks, been out of the community and trying to catch up on the current state of things  :# 
Oculus Rift CV1 
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon | i5 7600K @ 3.8GHz | 16Gb GTX | Gtx 1080 8Gb

4 REPLIES 4

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) doesn't work for super sampling (ss) in SteamVR, you need to use the SteamVR app, like:

Thanks to fuzzy logic 100 % = OTT ss 1.4 and 200% = 2.0 (120% = 1.55). I'd recommend just using 100 % on a GTX 1080 (200% is way too much, I think I read that even 2080 Ti choked on 200 % = ss 2.0). You'll need to activate some antialiasing or the jaggies will be horribly distracting - I think there was some TAA working best, but I haven't been playing the game for months. Texture quality is quite bad, you can mod the game with nicer textures, but it may lower performance - so I didn't install any high-res texture packs.

You can use OTT HUDs to show fps or pixel density though - OTT works dynamically, you can change HUD and it'll be immediately effective (no need to restart OTT or the game/app).

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RattyUK
Trustee
Everything @RuneSR2  said is valid, about the only thing he missed is to change the settings on SteamVR tab 'Video' to be set at 100% and use the Application tab to set SS for each game otherwise they interact and you end up with a stuttering mess!  (3 guesses how I found out 🙂 )
Apparently the original game's DLC can now be incorporated into the VR version thanks to some amazing work by the modding community, I've yet to try this though.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

MarsKat
Explorer
Thanks for your replies!

In SteamVR, when setting SS under Applications > Application Resolution Adjustment, and Video > Manual Override, SteamVR has a numerical value "the current setting renders each eye at" ie 1344 x 1600.
a) Should Rift users be aiming for values which are neat multiples of the Rift's native resolution? (is non-uniform SteamVR SS and OTT SS % scaling a result of different hardware resolutions?)

How do SteamVR's Async Re-projection, Re-projection, and Oculus ASW relate/interact?
b) What would you recommend for them in FO4VR?
Oculus Rift CV1 
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon | i5 7600K @ 3.8GHz | 16Gb GTX | Gtx 1080 8Gb

RattyUK
Trustee
I think @RuneSR2  would be better able to answer the technical questions...
I have set base video at 100% (1344*1600) and currently have FO4VR set to 120% - but I don't really notice if the game isn't silky smooth unless it is particularly bad.  I suggest you start at 110% and work your way up until performance noticably drops, then back it off until you're happy with the result 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3