cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time VR with Rift S (what a deception)

comatrix
Protege
Hi all,
I finally tried for the first time ever, the VR concept, and with the Rift S, there are positive and negative points, but overall it is a deception, not for the Oculus itself, but about what companies and reviewers claim to be the VR today..., I expected REALLY better than this, A LOT better.
Positive points:
- They do what they claim, I mean the VR concept, it is really addictive, it real feels to be there
- I had no negative points about controller flickering, even if it was not easy to understand at the beginning, how to run games in VR (for example in Assetto Corsa you need to select Rift Rendering, otherwise it will not work even if you start the games from the Oculus itself)
- The wearing of the Rift S is pretty good, even if when it is hot like today, the lenses mist up; it is pretty light to me and the adjustment assets are ok
- Luckily I have an IPD of 65, so it is ok to me
- very nice the pass through implementation, really really good, congratulations developers

Negative points
- First of all the most annoying even irritating point: every time I close a game (app), if you try to start another one it always says that it is not suggested to run multiple apps together for the PC resources, this stay ALL the time, even if you wait 2 hours (some people told me that this depends of SteamVR), you need to close manually every single VR process from the task manager
- Second the graphics aren't great at all, BUT AT ALL, you can see CLEARLY the screen door effect, it is like if you are sleeping under a mosquito met all the time, unless you are on dark areas, there the door effect is less visible but for obvious reasons, after I compared the game graphics on the screen and the same game on the Oculus and OMG, even the HD 1280*720 display is better, but A LOT Better, it seems to play on an OLD 4:3 TV on the Oculus
- The textures aren't displayed in a correct manner, if you approach the object near the Oculus, than the screen door effect almost disappear and you can appreciate REALLY the good work of the developers, but all the rest OMG, on Alyx, which is renowned to be one of the best VR games with best graphics, the cables were flickering on first area, you can see clearly the pixels if you watch far away buildings, even the ALYX text on first screen had some blu/orange halo, depending on how do you move the head and so on (on first thoughts I was thinking it was me not configuring correctly the Rift S, I read a lot on the net and no, the setting were even pushed on high, like 1.5 supersampling for example, 2k resolution and so on (I tried even 4k with same results), it was a REALLY bad experience I'm sorry, to me it's a NO on this aspect
- it is beautiful talking about a real 3D immersive world (and this is the positive point as described before), but you can clearly see that you are inside a cartoon like world, don't get me wrong, I don't mean like a cartoon, I mean you can clearly see that it is not real, not even approach the feeling about it
- I have no idea why, but today I had to do again and again the safe area (like 6/7 times), why it does forget continually the safe area?
- I have a powerful PC, not the top of the top but a high one (CPU AMD 3700x, Asus Strix 2080 Super 3 fans, 32GB of RAM 3.600 CL 19, the maximum on the third generation AMD processor can support on infinity fabric, higher is almost useless, 1.000w PSU, 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 and 2TB SSD 3.0, x570 E Gaming motherboard, 10 Fans Airflow from 240mm to 70mm), that said my GPU reached almost 88 degrees Celsius all the time (190° Fahrenheit), even if I put the graphics on 800x600 and disabling the supersampling (0), is it me or what? If it is, can someone explain me how to low that before I can cook the eggs on my GPU? Thanks a lot
- the dashboard inside the Rift S view is often misplaced, totally on the left or on the right and you can't move it
- often the controller (hands ingame) are misplaced, I mean they are under some objects, walls or under the floor and so on, and you can't restore them if not closing the Oculus software and restart it

OK stop talking because there are other negative aspect to say, but I think you get the message, I mean the idea.
To my humble opinion, the VR concept is really good one, but the development is not even a beta, I feel like it is on a  PRE RELEASE APLHA TEST, not even a complete alpha, but I bought it because I'm an enthusiast, but it is correct to say the truth about it
  • VR Headset Oculus Rift S
  • CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD
  • Cooler Dark Rock Pro 4 - PSU Corsair HX 1.000i Platinum Modular
  • Fans Hub DeepCool FH-10 - Case Cooler Master H500P Mesh Option
  • Airflow 2x240mm in, 4x120mm out, 2x135mm CPU, 3x85mm GPU, 2x35mm MB
73 REPLIES 73

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Rune actually I really like AC in VR.  You are right though that its interface is not VR friendly and you need external controllers.  Like a lot of sims you’re better to initially set it up in 2D prior to running it in VR imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

comatrix
Protege
I copy paste what I wrote on the other discussion.
Sure, I am one, I love games, I'm an enthusiast, what I don't understand
is why not telling the reality as it is, that's all. We ALL KNOW that
this is a new support, why not tell to people:
- VR is on an embryonic phase, if you wish to join you are most than welcome, but be aware of what do you expect
It
is so hard to say that? Because it is exactly what it is, but according
to reviewers and companies it is is just WOW and it is not except for
the feeling (and only the feeling itself is not enough, let's say the
things how they are), I'm sorry.
I'll keep it my Rift S
because I'm pretty sure this new sector has ample room for improvements,
but I repeat today it is what it is, no more no less...

• CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Hands down some of my most wow moments have been in elite dangerous.
i havent tried no mans sky yet between work, my reading backlog, and my addiction to plastic crack made by games workshop I have very llittle video game time.
WAAAGH!

comatrix
Protege

Zenbane said:
  • I managed to have some extra money (luckily)
Based on everything you bought (new HMD, new Steering Column, new Hotas, New Mouse, new Controller, new Keypad), it sounds like perhaps you over-spent. I have made the mistake of over-spending plenty of times in my life, and I always end up regretting my purchases.

Not at all, I literally LOVE my mouse, my wheel and stand, my one hand keyboard, the HOTAS and so on, nothing at all regret on those because it is what reviewers and companies say generally, but it is not what i meet about VR on what companies and reviewers said, that's the difference here (and i didn't buy everything in one block, but in years, I just show how much is my enthusiasm is on games, same as on VR)

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Dunno man my first experience was robo recall on a cv1 and I was hooked!

You keep saying embrionic stage.
Like this??

qmqag7arriz0.jpeg
WAAAGH!

aostvapp
Honored Guest

As a Rift CV1 owner and fan, I'm finding the Rift S to be too little of an improvement to upgrade to it.
- The audio is worse.
- The headband is worse (I also have the Lenovo WMR HMD and greatly prefer the Rift headstrap)
- The resolution is better BUT is the lowest PC HMD resolution of any headset released since 2016 😞
- The only upside is the inside out tracking which eliminated all the external cameras.

Oculus would have done so much better if they based the Rift S on the Quest:
- Average 2019 resolution of 1440x1600 per eye
- Comfortable Headstrap
- Four Camera Inside out tracking (same as Cosmos, only other inside-out competitor)
- The audio would still have been a downgrade but they could offer an optional headphones.

But I think the best deal would be to offer a Quest that also works with PC. Even if it was $600 it would be well worth it to have both devices in one.

@cometrix I've merged your two threads as they've pretty much become the same, so I don't think there's much point in everyone having two discussions that are identical.

dhrto
Expert Protege
I think this is clearly an issue of expectations. Set them (too) high and you will be disappointed, set them low (enough) and you will be (very) happy. @comatrix Personally I think your expectations were just (too) high, whereas the majority that reacted to you seem to have a lower expectation thus finding the Rift (S) fine. There's nothing wrong with having a very high expectation, but that means VR might not be for you just yet in its current state. However that doesn't mean that it's not ready for everybody else, cause expectations are very personal.

Just to add from my perspective: I think for its price point, it's not bad at all. Although I would have preferred Oculus kept developing a higher grade HMD ($1000+) just so people can have a choice.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

comatrix said:

Sure, I am one, I love games, I'm an enthusiast, what I don't understand
is why not telling the reality as it is, that's all. We ALL KNOW that
this is a new support, why not tell to people:
- VR is on an embryonic phase, if you wish to join you are most than welcome, but be aware of what do you expect
It
is so hard to say that? Because it is exactly what it is, but according
to reviewers and companies it is is just WOW and it is not except for
the feeling (and only the feeling itself is not enough, let's say the
things how they are), I'm sorry.
I'll keep it my Rift S
because I'm pretty sure this new sector has ample room for improvements,
but I repeat today it is what it is, no more no less...

It seems to me that it's your skill level in VR that is in the Embryonic Phase.  Nothing wrong with that, we all started off as VR newbies.  Good results with PCVR does still requires a positive, enthusiastic mindset, plus time to learn.  I'm sure you will grow with it and ultimately enjoy its many benefits.   
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

aostvapp said:

As a Rift CV1 owner and fan, I'm finding the Rift S to be too little of an improvement to upgrade to it.
- The audio is worse.
- The headband is worse (I also have the Lenovo WMR HMD and greatly prefer the Rift headstrap)
- The resolution is better BUT is the lowest PC HMD resolution of any headset released since 2016 😞
- The only upside is the inside out tracking which eliminated all the external cameras.

Oculus would have done so much better if they based the Rift S on the Quest:
- Average 2019 resolution of 1440x1600 per eye
- Comfortable Headstrap
- Four Camera Inside out tracking (same as Cosmos, only other inside-out competitor)
- The audio would still have been a downgrade but they could offer an optional headphones.

But I think the best deal would be to offer a Quest that also works with PC. Even if it was $600 it would be well worth it to have both devices in one.

For me personally I find the Rift S to be very comfortable more so than CV1. I wish my Quest had the same head mounting. Obviously this can be a very subjective thing.
I have a feeling your last statement there may be well where Oculus is heading.