cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time VR with Rift S (what a deception)

comatrix
Protege
Hi all,
I finally tried for the first time ever, the VR concept, and with the Rift S, there are positive and negative points, but overall it is a deception, not for the Oculus itself, but about what companies and reviewers claim to be the VR today..., I expected REALLY better than this, A LOT better.
Positive points:
- They do what they claim, I mean the VR concept, it is really addictive, it real feels to be there
- I had no negative points about controller flickering, even if it was not easy to understand at the beginning, how to run games in VR (for example in Assetto Corsa you need to select Rift Rendering, otherwise it will not work even if you start the games from the Oculus itself)
- The wearing of the Rift S is pretty good, even if when it is hot like today, the lenses mist up; it is pretty light to me and the adjustment assets are ok
- Luckily I have an IPD of 65, so it is ok to me
- very nice the pass through implementation, really really good, congratulations developers

Negative points
- First of all the most annoying even irritating point: every time I close a game (app), if you try to start another one it always says that it is not suggested to run multiple apps together for the PC resources, this stay ALL the time, even if you wait 2 hours (some people told me that this depends of SteamVR), you need to close manually every single VR process from the task manager
- Second the graphics aren't great at all, BUT AT ALL, you can see CLEARLY the screen door effect, it is like if you are sleeping under a mosquito met all the time, unless you are on dark areas, there the door effect is less visible but for obvious reasons, after I compared the game graphics on the screen and the same game on the Oculus and OMG, even the HD 1280*720 display is better, but A LOT Better, it seems to play on an OLD 4:3 TV on the Oculus
- The textures aren't displayed in a correct manner, if you approach the object near the Oculus, than the screen door effect almost disappear and you can appreciate REALLY the good work of the developers, but all the rest OMG, on Alyx, which is renowned to be one of the best VR games with best graphics, the cables were flickering on first area, you can see clearly the pixels if you watch far away buildings, even the ALYX text on first screen had some blu/orange halo, depending on how do you move the head and so on (on first thoughts I was thinking it was me not configuring correctly the Rift S, I read a lot on the net and no, the setting were even pushed on high, like 1.5 supersampling for example, 2k resolution and so on (I tried even 4k with same results), it was a REALLY bad experience I'm sorry, to me it's a NO on this aspect
- it is beautiful talking about a real 3D immersive world (and this is the positive point as described before), but you can clearly see that you are inside a cartoon like world, don't get me wrong, I don't mean like a cartoon, I mean you can clearly see that it is not real, not even approach the feeling about it
- I have no idea why, but today I had to do again and again the safe area (like 6/7 times), why it does forget continually the safe area?
- I have a powerful PC, not the top of the top but a high one (CPU AMD 3700x, Asus Strix 2080 Super 3 fans, 32GB of RAM 3.600 CL 19, the maximum on the third generation AMD processor can support on infinity fabric, higher is almost useless, 1.000w PSU, 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 and 2TB SSD 3.0, x570 E Gaming motherboard, 10 Fans Airflow from 240mm to 70mm), that said my GPU reached almost 88 degrees Celsius all the time (190° Fahrenheit), even if I put the graphics on 800x600 and disabling the supersampling (0), is it me or what? If it is, can someone explain me how to low that before I can cook the eggs on my GPU? Thanks a lot
- the dashboard inside the Rift S view is often misplaced, totally on the left or on the right and you can't move it
- often the controller (hands ingame) are misplaced, I mean they are under some objects, walls or under the floor and so on, and you can't restore them if not closing the Oculus software and restart it

OK stop talking because there are other negative aspect to say, but I think you get the message, I mean the idea.
To my humble opinion, the VR concept is really good one, but the development is not even a beta, I feel like it is on a  PRE RELEASE APLHA TEST, not even a complete alpha, but I bought it because I'm an enthusiast, but it is correct to say the truth about it
  • VR Headset Oculus Rift S
  • CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD
  • Cooler Dark Rock Pro 4 - PSU Corsair HX 1.000i Platinum Modular
  • Fans Hub DeepCool FH-10 - Case Cooler Master H500P Mesh Option
  • Airflow 2x240mm in, 4x120mm out, 2x135mm CPU, 3x85mm GPU, 2x35mm MB
73 REPLIES 73

falken76
Expert Consultant

comatrix said:

In my case it is not a PEBCAK, I proved with real fact what I encountered :
- Immersion = this is absolutely WOW
- wearing the VR = pretty good (there is still something to think think about how to avoid tarnishing your lenses from sweat and heat and fill the cover with sweat)
- software = so so (my live images attached before with bugs)
- graphic flickering present everywhere (Minecraft image attached before)
- general graphics so so (Minecraft image attached before showing the difference)
- controllers flickering (see other discussions in this section)
- Games Catalogue (Rift S has limited games compared to the Quest on Oculus Store, but if you go to Steam, there are HUNDREDS of games available for the Rift S, first how that could be possible, second people tends to tell that SteamVR is not totally compatible with Oculus, so we should stay with those few games for the Rift S?)
I hope now, people present in this thread, finish to say that it is my opinion, because it is not, I described EXACTLY what I read, watched and after what I encountered when I wore for the first time the Rift S, to tell ALL the truth, I was convincing that it was my Rift S were bad (and still could be), but after reading all those post in this thread, I'm convinced that the Rift S is what it is and NOT what reviewers and companies described it, no more no less.
Peace and Love ^_^

Minecrafts graphics suck on all versions, that's a terrible game to test for graphic ability, try something decent, I rarely experience any flickering, but I don't play games like Minecraft that are designed by their very nature to look like giant 8 bit blocky characters like you'd find on the labels of the earliest of NES cartridges.

Why does steam have more VR games?  Because the reality is VR is accessible by most any HMD as long as it's 6d0f.  Oculus Store is an eccosystem to sell the software.  Steam is a juggernaught in this realm because they've been the provider of online games since they blew up with success from the release of their first Half Life game waaaaaaaayyyyyy back in 1998, it is THE game store online, that's precisely why it has more content.  How much research did you do?

You did a lot of research, you set your expectations so high, you ignore words in reviews like "Practically" when referencing the removal of the screen door effect and you apparently don't seem to understand that you came into this game a little late for an "enthusiast" as you call youself, these reviews are comparing to previous releases of the early hardware.  In comparison to the CV1, the Rift S SDE appears to be practically gone.  That's a comparison to what at the time was the norm.  As Zenbane has suggested, I too believe you set your expectations too high and now you have the buyers remorse.  I don't see anything deceptive and like I said I've demoed my own set many times and that resulted in more sales for Oculus, My brother and I still play games together 4 years later.  In fact even a few of the titles that we bought we have been playing for those 4 years in its entirety.  Not one single person I've ever demoed this to has had the reaction you seem to have, they've all been in awe.

falken76
Expert Consultant

comatrix said:

It is very VERY simple:
- if they describe WOW, most of the implementations must be WOW, but effectively not everything is WOW, even the contrary: most of them are less as described (only the immersive point is WOW here, for example: do you really think that the graphics are WOW in VR headset? Really? Answer honestly)

Well.... VR is a medium, a new medium but it's a medium.  That medium is dependant upon the authors that participate and create the content for that medium.  How could anyone expect something to provide a constant wow factor with so many players involved from varying backgrounds and diversities?  Do you expect Television to provide a wow factor 100% of the time?  How about reading the newspaper or books?  It's dependent on the author, writer, content producer etc.  Absolutely nothing is always WOW.  Instead you'll have to pick and choose from the incredible content that is available to you, so far you seem to have focused on a non VR native racing game that gets 40 fps in HMD but 400 on monitor.  I guess you didn't do enough research, or you'd know your HMD is locked like vsync to a particular refresh rate.  The other game you use to complain about is another non native VR game that's world is set in a huge blocky 8 bit world.

My WOW I can't even play in pancake again since I tried this in VR is DCS World.  The monitor is much more crisp, but no way is it worth the loss of immersion and the absolute insane situational awareness you get with 1:1 head movement in a flight sim. 

Broaden the software and games you are willing to try, maybe you'll notice that you are deceiving yourself.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
This trend is running in circles. 

I will say Coma that useing minecraft as an example is a bad choice.
It has shit graphics that do not lend well to zooming in.

Noone here is going to say that the resolution between a monitor and a hmd lense to be the same.
But the quality of the Rift S is very nice.
WAAAGH!

Yes, the thread isn't going anywhere, I mentioned a while back that I would give the OP the last word then close, as it was getting a little hostile and nothing new being posted, the OP hasn't responded.

I'll close it now but if you want to add a last comment @comatrix message me and I'll open it for you, thanks.