cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go Vs Rift

gokouzwar
Honored Guest
I have a lower end gaming laptop and I could use the Big Screen app along with a Oculus Go to play some of my existing games, but I really don't want to spend $199 -$249 on a Go, I'd rather purchase the Rift but I know my laptop can't handle FULL VR games right now. Can I use the Rift to do things the Go can do?

Eventually I will upgrade to a system that will be compatible for full VR games, but in the meantime, is there any way I can run the Rift as if it was a Go on my Laptop? Will it do the Big Screen App like the Go can do or will I just get a crappy experience all together until I upgrade? My laptop is an HP omen with Nvidia GTX 960M, 16GB ram with i7-6700HQ. The only thing my laptop is lacking on is the video card aspect, but I'm not looking to play full VR games on the Rift until I can upgrade the computer in the future but I want to be able to play my games in 3D at the least until I can take the plunge on a full system upgrade. (Possibly in a year to 6 months).
3 REPLIES 3

Richooal
Consultant
You've got a couple of options if you're in no hurry.
The Quest is not far from release. It should give you better performance than the Go without needing a new PC.
Don't buy a Rift for your existing laptop until you've searched these forums to make sure it will work. Laptops have other problems besides meeting specs, and yours is under spec anyway.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I think your best bet would be to just wait for that upgraded PC then grab a Rift because 6 to 12 months is nothing and it may pay dividends in the long run on how much and what VR is doing this year, Rift might be cheaper by the time you upgrade your PC, Rift 2 might be announced, new Vr might appear.....who knows. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

gokouzwar said:

I have a lower end gaming laptop and I could use the Big Screen app along with a Oculus Go to play some of my existing games, but I really don't want to spend $199 -$249 on a Go, I'd rather purchase the Rift but I know my laptop can't handle FULL VR games right now. Can I use the Rift to do things the Go can do?

Eventually I will upgrade to a system that will be compatible for full VR games, but in the meantime, is there any way I can run the Rift as if it was a Go on my Laptop? Will it do the Big Screen App like the Go can do or will I just get a crappy experience all together until I upgrade? My laptop is an HP omen with Nvidia GTX 960M, 16GB ram with i7-6700HQ. The only thing my laptop is lacking on is the video card aspect, but I'm not looking to play full VR games on the Rift until I can upgrade the computer in the future but I want to be able to play my games in 3D at the least until I can take the plunge on a full system upgrade. (Possibly in a year to 6 months).

Don't try run Rift on a laptop mate, that hardly ever works, it's a big no no.

I'd recommend either upgrading to a decent PC and then getting Rift or waiting and getting Quest. 

EDIT: And to answer your question, the Rift can do everything the GO can do, but the GO can't do everything the Rift can do! The only thing GO has that is better then the Rift is the lenses. That's why I use my GO mainly just for media such as Netflix, YouTube and NextVR. I class the GO as a media center. Where as Rift is a gaming platform. And yes Rift can use Bigscreen and other apps too. Google Earth VR is amazing on the Rift too.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!