cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI adapter for Rift S

paiapaia
Honored Guest
I have bought RIFT S but I didn't know it works with only DISPLAYPORT. I have HDMI port on my PC. I have bought an adapter HDMI male - DP female but it doesn't work. I have connected even with an adapter USB C male - DP female, but nothing happens. Is there anybody had the same trouble? Help me

Oculus support says:

Connections not supported

Mini DisplayPort connection with third party adapter: at the moment, the only certified mDP → DP compatible adapter is the one supplied with your Rift S. If you use other adapters, we cannot guarantee the expected functionality or performance.

HDMI connection with third party adapter: at the moment, there are no adapters capable of operating in HDMI → DP mode. In case of news, we will update the article and include any supported adapters. Until then, we do not recommend using Rift S with PCs or laptops that do not have DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort ports.

USB Type-C connection with third-party adapter: at the moment, we cannot give you advice on USB-C → DP adapters. In case of news, we will update the article and include any supported adapters.

22 REPLIES 22

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Rift S requires a Display Port.  You need a new GPU card.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I find that very funny. We are in 2020 and you are sending us to DP??? I had a Rift 4 years ago and the connector was an HDMI connector. Most laptops have no DP connector.

Is there no option for this? I can't use your product with my latest top of the line $5k laptop with an RTX 2080 in it?

I might be missing something. Please let us know if there is another alternative, but nowadays, HDMI and USBc are the norm for graphics connections...

Thank you

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
No they are not, I have a computer from 2017 and it has DP.  In fact most graphics cards you can buy have DP.  The specs for the rift s clearly state USB3 and DP are required.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

ClassicGOD
Protege

nickfonta said:

Hi,

I find that very funny. We are in 2020 and you are sending us to DP??? I had a Rift 4 years ago and the connector was an HDMI connector. Most laptops have no DP connector.

Is there no option for this? I can't use your product with my latest top of the line $5k laptop with an RTX 2080 in it?

I might be missing something. Please let us know if there is another alternative, but nowadays, HDMI and USBc are the norm for graphics connections...

Thank you

This forum is full of people that complain but never provide any information. You didn't specify what laptop you are using so I checked top 10 list of laptops with RTX2080 gpu and all of them had DisplayPort output. Most modern laptops have DP output.

DisplayPort is most modern and flexible display interface out there so I don't understand why you seem to think that HDMI is more modern. But seeing that you don't know that USB-C display output on a laptop is a DisplayPort output as USB-C connector is part of DP standard since 2014 I expect you didn't even check the manual to verify which of USB-C ports on your laptop is capable of display output. 
Also Thunderbolt output in form of USB-C has Display Port capability. 

Many laptop makers unfortunately go the easy route of routing the DP output in USB-C ports to the CPU on board graphics making them incompatible with VR bur it's not Oculus fault that laptop manufacturers are lazy.
The advent of computers and the subsequent accumulation of incalculable data has given rise to a new system of memory and thought, parallel to your own. Humanity has underestimated the consequences of computerization.

pboyer
Honored Guest
The very well regarded ASUS ROG G14 does not have a DP.  Maybe it's Oculus that missed an opportunity to make the client experience a better one.  Will be returning the VR.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Pretty sure its Asus being lazy and not up to the times.
Also Asus has not been worth the money for quite awhile now.
Same for Alienware and every other brand that has gone from quality products to mass production.
WAAAGH!

ravenstar68
Explorer
I just wanted to share my own experience of this.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15imh05
Graphics card  nVidia GTX 1650 (4GB DDR6)
Ports:
1xHDMI 2.0
2 USB 3.2
1 USB C 3.2 Thunderbolt connected to Intel Onboard graphics card  😮

Needless to say the Thunderbolt to DisplayPort did not work but before I read that "there was no known HDMI to DisplayPort adapter that works with the Rift-S." I did purchase one from Amazon.  A Benfei HDMI - DisplayPort adapter.  I'm really glad I did

So far I've been enjoying
Elite Dangerous
European Truck Simulator 2
No Man's Sky
Colin Macrae Rally (1 and 2)
X-Rebirth VR edition
Skyrim VR edition

The latter two are taking some getting used to.  So while I know people mean well by saying it won't work if you only have a HDMI port - but provided you have HDMI 2.0 (I can't vouch for lower HDMI specifications and I'd guess anything below HDMI 2.0 won't work).

Put it this way - so glad I don't have to take the Rift-S back.

Tim

rasmus_kat
Honored Guest
Do you have a link to the adapter? I would like to buy on for my Oculus. I Have a acer stationary computer. It only has usb and HDMI .
regards
Birgitte

ravenstar68
Explorer
I'm not currently able to post links as I'm a new user however if you search this on Amazon

HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter, BENFEI HDMI Input to DisplayPort Output Adapter Compatible with Laptop, XBox 360 One, PS4 PS3 and more

The bad news is that it's currently out of stock.