cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I connect my Rift to my one HDMI port laptop?

tedBundygaming
Honored Guest

I recently purchased a Rift, but when I went to connect it I realized I only had one HDMI port, which for some reason doesn't work.

I can't find any adapters for my specific laptop because I'm not very tech savvy and don't understand anything.

Could anyone give me a specific adapter to purchase? (Preferably on Amazon)

Laptop: ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop FX505DY

Stuff below is probably irrelevant but it might help.

Device name LAPTOP-8551F6UQ
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)

Thank you guys in advance, kinda blew a lot of money on this thing and I will quite literally combust if I can't use it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tedBundygaming
Honored Guest

UPDATE!!!

All I had to do is update some driver things that I don’t understand, I’m just a dumb **bleep**.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped though!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You should prepare yourself for combustion because I really don't think your Vega mobile graphics card is going to provide satisfactory performance, if it works at all. Any GPU integrated into the processor is seriously compromised for gaming and PCVR is pretty intensive. The Rift is lower resolution than the Rift S so a bit less demanding but I still think your laptop simply isn't going to be powerful enough. Sorry

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

You need a dedicated gpu for VR, and don't go for less than a GTX 1060 for the Rift:

https://support.oculus.com/articles/getting-started/getting-started-with-rift/rift-s-minimum-require...

I think the ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop FX505DY normally comes with a discrete 560X gpu, but the 560X may be too slow. 

If you're using the extremely slow Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (integrated on the cpu), try to disable it in the bios to make sure you're using the 560X. 

The 560X will be extremely slow for VR, even if you can get it to work. VR is extremely demanding - for the Rift I would not use anything slower than GTX 1060 6GB, and for a laptop better go for a RTX 2060 or similar - as the minimum.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Ya, even a 1060 mobile is twice as powerful as a 560x;

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-Mobile-vs-AMD-RX-560/m164336vs3926

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

PITTCANNA
Visionary

@tedBundygaming wrote:

I recently purchased a Rift, but when I went to connect it I realized I only had one HDMI port, which for some reason doesn't work.

I can't find any adapters for my specific laptop because I'm not very tech savvy and don't understand anything.

Could anyone give me a specific adapter to purchase? (Preferably on Amazon)

Laptop: ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop FX505DY

Stuff below is probably irrelevant but it might help.

Device name LAPTOP-8551F6UQ
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)

Thank you guys in advance, kinda blew a lot of money on this thing and I will quite literally combust if I can't use it.

So the rift s only functions over display port.  That said standard hdmi that your laptop doesn't have the bandwidth to carry the dp resolution required for vr.

this is your best bet assuming the oculus app can be installed on your computer.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-CableCreation-Display-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B085HF9GSR/ref=sr_1_1_ssp...

Note, the comment above only applies if you have the Rift S headset and not the Rift, as specified. The Rift S requires a Displayport connection while the Rift needs HDMI. Your laptop is still going to be the deciding factor though.

tedBundygaming
Honored Guest

UPDATE!!!

All I had to do is update some driver things that I don’t understand, I’m just a dumb **bleep**.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped though!!

what driver did you update??? im having the same problem and i have the same laptop