cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I download the oculus app the Mac OS?

Troutster5
Honored Guest
On the settup page there seems to be only a windows download. Am I missing something or is it just not supported?
17 REPLIES 17

nalex66
MVP
MVP
No, MacOS is not supported. You would have to install Windows 10, but before diving into that, I would check whether your Mac meets the minimum hardware requirements

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Lewryu
Protege
It’s not supported on Mac OS. Only on Windows 10. And, don’t bother.

Unless...

There are ways to install a Windows 10 onto Macs, BUT your basically having to add another OS into your Mac, installing drivers, and then install Oculus app (which is 23GB), suggests to give 80GB for all of this and for updates later on. Also, buying adapters, maybe? (Quest or Rift S).

https://youtu.be/EWsrWLM2IRk

I suggest you watch this video to better understand the circumstance your putting your Mac in. Also, read the description.
Oculus Rift S
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, GIGABYTE 1660 Super, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, MSI B450m Mortar, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2, Windows 10 Pro v1903

Pixelatedplayer
Honored Guest
Will the app EVER come to macOS Big Sur or future updates?

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oculus dropped macos support 6 years ago, and hasn't mentioned restoring it. Valve dropped macos support from SteamVR last year.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
I would really look into the specs of your Mac vs the requirements for PCVR, before you consider using boot camp and putting windows on your mac. It’s pretty unlikely that the graphics card is up to the task of VR, as VR is far harder on your computer than none (even high res) VR gaming. Unfortunately, macs aren’t generally great for gaming. 

Also, if you aren’t trying to PC game and you just need the app for setting up the headset, you can do that on any smart phone. 

se7entythree
Honored Guest
1zxagqcm3x9p.pngf6nxb3fldp3h.pngI'm considering attempting this via bootcamp. Will my MacBook Pro be able to handle it? My desktop PC is a total POS and can literally barely run MS office programs, so this is my only potential option here.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
the mobile amd raedon pro 5500 is a bit sketchy.  Also i am not sure how bootcamp will handle windows drivers.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

1zxagqcm3x9p.pngf6nxb3fldp3h.pngI'm considering attempting this via bootcamp. Will my MacBook Pro be able to handle it? My desktop PC is a total POS and can literally barely run MS office programs, so this is my only potential option here.

I hate to be a promoter for a company, but I can play on my 2014 Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM.

How do I do it? I am using Shadow PC (shadow.tech). If you have internet of 15Mbps down, 5Mbps up, less that 30ms ping and less than 2ms jitter, you can run it on hardware that can't come close to actually running it.

It is a physical Windows machine that you manage and it streams your games to you. I use my Quest 2 with virtual desktop to play PCVR on it and it works as well as my back-up pc with a GTX 1660TI in it.

The bad news is that depending where you are it can take three weeks to four months to get it activated. 

But even if you get it to run on a Mac (I have done it with a recent iMac and Boot Camp) nothing that Apple makes today would run well.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

I'm glad I bought Shadow PC. I am now waiting on it to become activated in my region. Thanks for sharing.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?