cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix "Graphic Jitter" ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been having this problem for a few months now. Makes it hard to view anything in VR. Cannot view Home Screen, watch movies, or play games. I have uninstalled multiple times, updated drivers, and checked USB cables. Others have this same issue. They were told it would be fixed with the next update. I am now running OAV 1.32.0.729131, and still am having the same issue. What will totally fix my issue. Keep in mind i am a novice.

Windows 10, 64 bit 
MB: Asus Rog Zenith Extreme
CPU:AMD Ryzen 1900X
Mem:DDR4  49152 MBytes
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070
EKWB water cooled CPU, GPU 
42 REPLIES 42

YoLolo69
Trustee
You specifications seems good, so you should describe more precisely what you call "Graphic Jitter".

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I agree with YoLolo69.

Does the problem occur if you  launch an app or game directly from the desktop (using you good old 2D monitor) - so you don't put on the HMD until the app has started and you thereby avoid starting Oculus Home? 

If that doesn't help, try Forceware 391.35 (it's an older driver, but it should work perfectly). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2. Without sounding ungrateful for the assist. By asking (using you good old 2D monitor). Do u think i am referring to using a monitor only and not the Rift ?
If that were the case, I would not be here trying to ask for assistance.

Apologies. First time posting. As soon as i launch Oculus all is okay for the first 2 minutes. Then everything starts to jitter when and if I move my head.  By jitter, I mean everything has a ghosted effect as if out of sink, or the movie effect of tripping on shrooms. Only when using the Rift (using you good old 2D monitor) . The effect is in home, apps,  viewing movies in VR, using VR desktop, even in games.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2. Without sounding ungrateful for the assist. By asking (using you good old 2D monitor). Do u think i am referring to using a monitor only and not the Rift ?

No, I think you refer to using the Rift. And I think I know exactly what the "jitter is" - I might have tried it too, but it happens extremely rarely on my rig. 

My suggestions are:

1. Power up you PC.
2. Start the Oculus App on your PC (using the desktop in Windows 10). 
3. Start the app or game you want to try. 
4. After the game/app has started, now you put on the Rift HMD - and the Touch controllers.
5. Does it remove or reduce the jitter?

I have a theory that sometimes Home 2.0 is taking too long to close and release its resources which may or may not interfere with some games or apps. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

As soon as i launch Oculus all is okay for the first 2 minutes. Then everything starts to jitter when and if I move my head.  By jitter, I mean everything has a ghosted effect as if out of sink, or the movie effect of tripping on shrooms. Only when using the Rift (using you good old 2D monitor) . The effect is in home, apps,  viewing movies in VR, using VR desktop, even in games.

At first when you mentioned 'jitter' when moving your head, it sounds like tracking. But by 'ghosted effect' like 'tripping on shrooms', that sounds like things warping as you move your head side to side. I get that in the Home screen, where the edges of the wall/planter/pillar/picture on wall seem to bend if I don't have the headset positioned correctly. The screen with the cross usually clears that up.

YoLolo69
Trustee
When something like this happen after a short while, like your 2 minutes, it's usually :
1 - A virus/Malware doing something as it think you do nothing as you don't use your mouse or keyboard for a while. Check your Task Manager sorted by processor time without touching anything and see what happen after the around 2 minutes. A know malware is called mint.exe and mine bitcoins during spare times, but it could be another thing, another virus/malware, or even an anti-virus/anti-malware program doing is usual job.
2- An overheating issue, like your CPU or GPU heating for reason X (like problem with fan, dust, etc.) and "throttling", meaning it went on safe mode and reduce consumption to save your hardware.
3 - A memory leak from one of your running process/program eating memory of your PC or hard disk time. Again, check your task manager sorted by memory use or disk use.
4- I'm out of idea right now, probably other cases exist.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Had Malware. You were correct. Fixed that issue. Still have problem.
2. No overheating. EKWB liquid cooled.
3.No leaks.
Have read that other Rift users have and still are having this problem, with no real true cure in sight. Thinking i should have gone with the HTC Vive instead maybe. Price be damned. Thanks for the suggestions.

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
You may have installed some of the Asus software that came with your motherboard such as AI Suite III that has caused problems for many people. Try uninstalling any Asus software that you don't need.

MSI Afterburner used to cause jitter problems for me that were all solved by uninstalling it.

Also make sure your USB power management settings are set correctly. Go to Device manager and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right click each item, click Properties, and if there is a Power Management tab click on it and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not selected (you want the power to stay on always).
Also in device manager, expand Oculus VR Devices and do the same thing for each of your Oculus sensors.

YoLolo69
Trustee

1. Had Malware. You were correct. Fixed that issue. Still have problem.
2. No overheating. EKWB liquid cooled.
3.No leaks.
Have read that other Rift users have and still are having this problem, with no real true cure in sight. Thinking i should have gone with the HTC Vive instead maybe. Price be damned. Thanks for the suggestions.

The malware explain the 2 minutes gap before all turn bad. So do you still have the exact same symptom after 2 minutes like exactly before, or stutter happen now immediatly?. Oh by the way, saying you're going to Vive is not helpful unless you want to continue and end your thread talking only to yourself 😉