cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Oculus Rift S......opinions on going back to CV1

JoeyC132
Protege
So I sold my CV1 with the arrival of the S and dragged my feet for a few months before finally buying the S last week. The family really missed all of our VR games and was so excited to back into it. Unfortunately I have been unable to get past the setup because of the usb 3.0 asmedia issue. I have contacted Oculus and tried all of the recommended steps in hopes of getting this to work. I am at a point where returning the S and finding a used CV1 appears to be my option considering it worked great on this same computer. I loved the CV1 and only sold it because I was seduced by the improved visuals and lack of sensor bars on the S. So my question is this:

Is the S that big of a leap in visuals and tech to justify continuing the fight to get this to work on my computer? 

Thanks!!
26 REPLIES 26

Techy111
MVP
MVP
It's like marmite mate you either love it or hate it. Some swear by the old CV1 and sensor set up but others swear by the improvement that is the S. I'd say as you now have the S to keep tinkering away and when you get it working then decide.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Did you buy a USB 3.0 card? What is the usb 3.0 asmedia issue? 

I would really try to get it working because the visuals are much better with the Rift-S imo.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

ShocksVR
Superstar
If you can't get the S to work, you also have Quest + Link as an option.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable
You may want to post more details on what all you have tried and what it is exactly doing.
I have run my Rift S through both Intel and AsMedia ports without any problem.

JoeyC132
Protege
First off I have to admit that I haven't spent enough time understanding the VR options. I just want to play some awesome games:) This was the first time I heard about the quest link and my interest has peaked. If its capable of nearly matching the S quality and titles then it would seem like a no duh when deciding between quest and rift. 

My problem is because of my usb 3.0 ports are not allowing the rift to complete the setup. The display port lights up green but the usb is red and the setup is unable to continue. The messages I have received tells me that the usb drive is unable to power the device or that the usb 3.0 is not compatible. This could be because of the age of my motherboard, which is an asus P8Z68-V PRO. My processor is an i7 3770k and video card is an msi gtx1060 gaming x 6gb. My system is older but I didn't think the S would have an issue considering the cv1 worked flawlessly.  

I was planning on buying a new usb pci card to see if this fixes the issue. I am however a bit torn after hearing about the quest link:) 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

First off I have to admit that I haven't spent enough time understanding the VR options. I just want to play some awesome games:) This was the first time I heard about the quest link and my interest has peaked. If its capable of nearly matching the S quality and titles then it would seem like a no duh when deciding between quest and rift. 

My problem is because of my usb 3.0 ports are not allowing the rift to complete the setup. The display port lights up green but the usb is red and the setup is unable to continue. The messages I have received tells me that the usb drive is unable to power the device or that the usb 3.0 is not compatible. This could be because of the age of my motherboard, which is an asus P8Z68-V PRO. My processor is an i7 3770k and video card is an msi gtx1060 gaming x 6gb. My system is older but I didn't think the S would have an issue considering the cv1 worked flawlessly.  

I was planning on buying a new usb pci card to see if this fixes the issue. I am however a bit torn after hearing about the quest link:) 

Don't be silly, just get a proper usb 3.0 card like the startech 4 port pcie usb 3.0 card.  I have this card and it works great.

https://www.startech.com/au/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/PCI-Express-USB-3-Card-4-Dedicated-Channels...

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

sford52
Heroic Explorer
Would you be able to use something like the (powered) Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual LED Power Switches? I use it, as does @RuneSR2 (https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/710746#Comment_710746). It's only $8 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O)

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Not if he does not have a decent/comatible usb port to plug these into imho.  Nor do these provide additional usb bandwidth.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP

This could be because of the age of my motherboard, which is an asus P8Z68-V PRO. My processor is an i7 3770k and video card is an msi gtx1060 gaming x 6gb. My system is older but I didn't think the S would have an issue considering the cv1 worked flawlessly.   

I used to have an Asus P9X79 with i7 3930k for my CV1. None of the onboard usb 3 ports worked with the CV1, I had to use an addon card. I bought a pair of Vantec PC370a cards, each gave me 2 usb ports using Asmedia 1142 controllers. Perfect for the CV1, everything worked great.

Eventually I upgraded to an Asrock Taichi x399 with threadripper cpu. The CV1 worked perfectly on all ports, no addons needed.

Then I got the Rift-S. None of the Taichi's ports liked the Rift-S consistently. The old addon cards (even with their extra power connections) didn't work with the Rift-S at all. The only way to get it working even slightly was through a powered hub plugged into just one specific usb port on the motherboard. But even that was very unreliable, sometimes it took more than a day to get the headset to start with full tracking.

However since the 1.42 runtime, my Rift-S is fully stable, not a single connection issue (although I haven't tried it without the hub).

Ok, long story short: CV1 and Rift-S have different USB requirements (CV1 had bandwidth and compatibility issues, Rift-S has power issues), if a system supports one of them, it may fail with the other.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2