cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jagged

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello I just got a rift s a few days ago and have been trying to fix the jagged edges and blurry gameplay since I got it can anyone help thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Ok, well blurry images are usually cause by 3 things
1) Headset not fitted correctly.
2) IPD not set correctly.
3) Dirty lenses.
 Jaggies are settings in the game, most games automatically set the quality dependent on your computer specs.  If you want more help, you will need to post a list of whats in your PC. 
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

bitzie
Expert Protege
Welcome to the current state of VR. It does not and cannot look like screenshots and videos. Yes, it's disappointing at first, but once you get into a really good game it doesn't matter if it's a bit blurry and jagged.

falken76
Expert Consultant
You have to lower your expectations if you were expecting anything near 4k quality on a monitor.  Once you got it set right it's not really blurry and super sampling is like an anti aliasing option that will smooth out the jaggies.  Supersampling seems to be overkill adding a ton of workload onto the gpu so you get that "I think I see a difference" feeling.  I never use it.  This is on a CV1, Rift S has to be be an improvement visually.

Ray_Sover
Expert Protege
Agreed with all of the above.

The apparent pixel size is going to seem rather large as the resolution is only 1280 by 1440 per eye to fill a ~115° field of view. Sit close enough to any 1080p or even 1440p monitor to achieve the same field of view and the individual pixels are going to be clearly visible.

Jaggies are caused by a lack of resolution combined with a lack of antialiasing. Antialiasing will always lead to some degree of blurring. Using the Oculus software's "Quality" setting (as opposed to "Performance") combined with 4xMSAA in games where available provides a good compromise.

The obvious answer would be to increase the physical resolution of the displays, but then the horsepower required to drive the headset would be too great for a typical PC gaming graphics card to stand any chance of maintaining a good enough frame rate to achieve immersion.

It's all compromises and always will be, but I'm happy with the current trade-offs as it opens up the world of PC VR to more of those on mid-tier gaming hardware rather than restricting it to top-tier gamers. It's also a sensible business model as it keeps the hardware more affordable.

Take it or leave it, but I'm happy to take it.
Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S