cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left Touch Controller "Stuck In Space"

Bradastan
Honored Guest
I just received my Oculus Rift, and the only problem I have is that after going through the setup (setting up the guardian and play area), my left touch controller isn't moving my virtual hand.  My Left virtual hand is stuck in space and can "rotate" but cannot change it's location in space.  If I wave my hand around, all that virtual hand will do is rotate in one location.  

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?  My Video Drives and Oculus Software (library) are up to date.  

Thanks for any help.  
10 REPLIES 10

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
All i can suggest it taking the battery out and putting it back in again (or trying a new one).

Bradastan
Honored Guest
Thanks, I contacted Oculus support.  They aren't sure the cause after I tried their troubleshooting steps to no avail.  They asked for my Oculus log files.  I suspect a faulty controller is not sending correct data to the sensors.  I'll post back when I get a resolution.  

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Bradastan said:

Thanks, I contacted Oculus support.  They aren't sure the cause after I tried their troubleshooting steps to no avail.  They asked for my Oculus log files.  I suspect a faulty controller is not sending correct data to the sensors.  I'll post back when I get a resolution.  

Could also be a sensor problem (maybe the left one in your case?).  Try connecting them to diff usb ports, or maybe just switch them with each other's usb port and see if this makes any diff.  Also, there is a free Sensor App in the Oculus store that may help diagnose your sensors placements.  This may be worth trying.  It certainly helped finetune my 2x sensor placement and improved my tracking as well.

Before I optimised my 2x sensor placement my left controller would also kinda hang 1-2 ft. in front of my left hand, esp. if it had been stored well outside either sensor's coverage.  I found I could often just move that controller down to my left hip, hit it's x-button, and it would snap back in place.  This was with 1.32 btw and since better sensor placement and the 1.33 update I have not had this problem.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Bradastan
Honored Guest
Thanks for the tip, I downloaded and tried the Sensor Bounds app after trying swapping the sensor locations and doing the full Oculus setup from scratch a third time.  My sensors seemed good and their location and orientation appeared correct.  The left controller continued to behave the same. 

So while using the Sensor Bounds app, I noticed that ONLY my RIGHT controller showed up, and I think that is because the LEFT controller existed outside the visible space within the virtual environment.  Pressing buttons on the LEFT controller did toggle sensors so that behavior is consistent with what I have experienced so far.    

Does anyone know if you can do the Initial Oculus Setup using the LEFT TOUCH CONTROLLER?  Or does it only with with the RIGHT TOUCH CONTROLLER?  I have only been able to use the RIGHT CONTROLLER during setup and since mine is malfunctioning, I don't know if it is even a possibility to use the LEFT controller during the setup. 

Thanks again for any tips or tricks.  Also, nothing back yet from Oculus with regard to my log files.   

Bradastan
Honored Guest
Just adding a little more information here.  Oculus support asked me to do a "repair" installation.  I did so and it did not change anything.  I did make note though that during the initial setup, although the LEFT controller would pair correctly, it was not seen by the sensors later in the setup. Only the RIGHT controller would be seen.  

Oculus as told me that you should be able to use both the RIGHT and LEFT controllers during the setup process with the sensors.  I attached more logs as they requested and hope they figure this out soon.  I'm sure this is a very cool toy when it is working.  

kojack
MVP
MVP
It can test all of the inputs from a Touch controller and show sensor bounds.

When a touch controller can't be seen by any sensor, it switches to just inertial tracking (using the accelerometer/gyroscope). This lets it rotate, but not move.

If it's rotating but not moving, then communication between the controller and the headset is working, but either no sensor can see it (unlikely if right controller is working fine) or maybe something isn't working with the IR tracking lights.

Try looking at the rift and touch controllers with a mobile phone camera while they are all running. Often the camera can see the IR lights as pink-ish blobs under the plastic.
6seon5mak4n5.jpg
The touch controllers should look like that too. If the left touch isn't lit up like that, that's the problem.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I guess at the end of the day it either works or it doesn’t, lol!

I’d just continue to work with Oculus suppprt if I were you.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bradastan said:Does anyone know if you can do the Initial Oculus Setup using the LEFT TOUCH CONTROLLER?  Or does it only with with the RIGHT TOUCH CONTROLLER?  I have only been able to use the RIGHT CONTROLLER during setup and since mine is malfunctioning, I don't know if it is even a possibility to use the LEFT controller during the setup.  

When you did the initial setup, did you pair both controllers? I've experienced it only prompting for one controller at times, and not both. Though it's usually the left one first, then just not prompting for the right.

Bradastan
Honored Guest
All Oculus devices show as connected and green in the Oculus app device settings.  After providing log files and reproducing on a second computer, they are processing an RMA for me, although they tell me they have some supply chain issues right now that is slowing things down.  

Thanks for everyone's feedback and willingness to help.  I hope to be able to really experience the rift soon.