cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Luckey is fixing Rifts Earphone issues....for FREE.

Digikid1
Consultant
43 REPLIES 43

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Palmer "I need attention" Luckey strikes again!

regardless of his motivations its still very good for people with out of warranty rifts who will get a free fix.

would be better if oculus were doing it however.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:
Palmer is all about publicity stunts. He's just a bored rich kid.

I wish I was a bored rich kid.
WAAAGH!

Is he after attention? yes probably.
Does he see this as an opportunity for reclaiming a little of the moral ground lost during his sacking and the reasons there-of? Maybe.
Does he still see the Rift as his baby? and Oculus as his company? Yes, probably.

Is this a good fix, regardless of any of the above? I think so.

LZoltowski
Champion
I have to agree, although he may be a questionable individual and whatever reason he is doing this for, the consumer wins in this instance. Everyone benefits.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah have to give him the nod on this one, nice of him to do this.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I understand what folks are saying, but I respectfully disagree. Enabling Palmer's behavior is not a benefit any more than enabling someone's drug or gambling habit is a benefit. I mean... imagine if an addict lived with you and you gave them extra money, where the reasoning was, "Well I have extra funds and it gets them out of the house which is a win-win for everyone."
😘

Palmer is stuck at that moment in time where he was the Oculus figure head. He even dismantled Oculus GO as soon as it was released (and posted pictures online).

But that aside, I'm actually surprised at the number of people who think that this is truly 100% free. Every Kit that Palmer ships has to go somewhere. And you can bet that he's keeping track of when and where these things are going. That's data he's collecting. And data collection is what has made Social Media organizations so wealthy.

Nothing in life is free.

Anonymous
Not applicable
But that aside, I'm actually surprised at the number of people who think that this is truly 100% free.
Everybody knows that, buddy. But the service itself is free, when it could have been charged instead.

Just because you don't like him, you can't give him props for being useful to the community. Come on, you're smarter than that ^^'.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

But that aside, I'm actually surprised at the number of people who think that this is truly 100% free.
Everybody knows that, buddy. But the service itself is free, when it could have been charged instead.

I wouldn't assume everyone knows it's not free if people are saying it is free. The service itself is not free, something is being exchanged for that service. So... seems like you didn't really know it isn't free!

Also, NO, he could not have charged instead. Ever since his departure from Facebook-Oculus, it has been observed that Palmer operates under some very strict contract law. Part of him staying quiet for so long was clearly just one of many results. Palmer undoubtedly signed a "non-compete" clause with Facebook (and do not say that everyone knows this after you just said that he could have charged for the service); and if Palmer either talks about anything Facebook-Oculus related or starts a business where he is in direct competition... then he will end up a poor bored ex-rich kid mighty fast.

LuluViBritannia said:

Just because you don't like him, you can't give him props for being useful to the community. Come on, you're smarter than that ^^'.

If you want to bring up "smarts" then we can have that conversation. In all sincerity, I feel that the community should be smarter than to believe that Palmer is just trying to do a nice thing for free. Even in your reply you begin by saying that everyone knows it is not free, and then in the same breath you say that the service itself is free lol.

It's not free. Palmer is getting something for it. People have made the same arguments against Facebook (which is just as free a service as Palmer is providing) when they objected to its acquisition of Oculus.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned this stipulation in Palmer's endearing service offering:
please forward your ticket and a mailing address to
RiftRepairOne@gmail.com, and I will send you an RR1 repair kit free of
charge

Sorry folks, I don't mean to derail the topic. But the data collection here just seems painstakingly obvious to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morgrum said:

Zenbane said:
Palmer is all about publicity stunts. He's just a bored rich kid.

I wish I was a bored rich kid.

I'm gonna be a bored rich kid old git soon, the Euromillions jackpot is now £154m. 😮 😄