cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSFS2020 Flashes Again

ghs22
Protege
As of the latest Rift S update, I am now getting flashes/spikes both visual and audio at the rate of one per three seconds continuously in all aircraft, day and night. The day before, I would get a flash about once per 5 minutes. The sim has become unusable until Oculus addresses this issue.
70 REPLIES 70

Atreaus
Honored Guest
Rift S with the same issue here - unplayable.

A mate with the Quest 2 is experiencing the same.

I tried to opt out of the PTC and it rolled back to V25 however when I booted into MSFS it said I required Open XR - any advice from others on how to resolve would be appreciated.

Oculus - can you at least offer a reply to all of the messages on this?!

Greyman
Superstar
i had that "openxr" message, but when i reloaded MSFS it fixed the issue.

Simon853
Honored Guest
Happening to me also (on Quest 2).  However, this was not occurring early today after I'd updated the Oculus App.  It's only started doing it this evening when I'm using artificial lighting.  So could be related to the tracking sampling frequency colliding with (imperceptible) strobing of the mains powered room lights.  I've tried selecting all Auto/50/60Hz tracking sampling rates (my power is 50Hz) to no avail.  I'll try it again tomorrow in natural light.

What appears to be happening is that the viewpoint is shifting by several feet for a single frame, which causes the screen to appear to flash and the audio to cut out as I'm outside the aircraft for a split second, during which time the sim hasn't caught up and switched to external sounds yet.  Then I'm back inside before it does.  It also resets the mouse cursor position when inside the cockpit making it useless to select switches.  Glad I'm not the only one!

mark_vanstrien_
Honored Guest

The solution what I did was go to your Oculus install directory, select OculusSetup.exe, run it. Than select option Repair. Once started it runs fine again in MSFS2020

Atreaus
Honored Guest

Simon853 said:

Happening to me also (on Quest 2).  However, this was not occurring early today after I'd updated the Oculus App.  It's only started doing it this evening when I'm using artificial lighting.  So could be related to the tracking sampling frequency colliding with (imperceptible) strobing of the mains powered room lights.  I've tried selecting all Auto/50/60Hz tracking sampling rates (my power is 50Hz) to no avail.  I'll try it again tomorrow in natural light.

What appears to be happening is that the viewpoint is shifting by several feet for a single frame, which causes the screen to appear to flash and the audio to cut out as I'm outside the aircraft for a split second, during which time the sim hasn't caught up and switched to external sounds yet.  Then I'm back inside before it does.  It also resets the mouse cursor position when inside the cockpit making it useless to select switches.  Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm not sure this is likely to be the cause, as it works without issue on all other VR games I have played today. Just MSFS having the issues.

BjornTM
Honored Guest
Same issue here. Disabling beta channel seems to remove the flickering, but my oculus tray tool then doesn't seem to work anymore.

BjornTM
Honored Guest

BjornTM said:

Same issue here. Disabling beta channel seems to remove the flickering, but my oculus tray tool then doesn't seem to work anymore.

Did some reboots, rebooted the oculus goggle and now OTT to work again, so I can confirm that disabling the beta channel (which gives you software 26.something) fixes the flashing.

mbarrenag
Honored Guest
Same problem here with RiftS. I think it's a problem related with the number of fps you get in msfs. In my case it doesn't happen with another simulators like Xplane. By lowering the number of fps inside the nvidia driver the problem mitigates a lot. In my case, restricting to 40 fps the flashes only occurs a few times during a flight, but I think it should be researched and fixed by Oculus.

DickDastardly
Protege
Just to clarify, it's definitely the player's head position which is abruptly (and briefly) jumping several meters outside the aircraft, rather than the aircraft itself moving relative to the player and world. It's less obvious which of the two is happening when in the air, but can be clearly seen in recordings capturing the issue when the aircraft is on the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNvK1qV7k2U

https://youtu.be/MpJODRk3HSc?list=LL&t=66

jwiese604
Honored Guest
same issue here