cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Buggy Rift S fixed by powered pcie usb 3.1 gen2

KessUsagi
Level 2
Honestly I have been so disappointed with my rift s that I have thought about calling it a loss but there have been some good days and some bad days.Well most bad days. I have gotten the snow/static, controller lock up, static flashes and even the black screen. After the most recent update I got drunk goggle vision...it was weird. At the start of this decent into madness my computer passed the oculus compatibility check tool with recommended settings so I thought I would be all good.... Well it seems like they need to change the compatibility check tool because all my 3.1 usb ports pass the check tool but failed in practice.

My computer has a usb 3.0 VR read port on the mother board (but I have checked all the usb ports and they all acted the same) but that didn't help at all so I got tired of tinkering with it today and went to the local tech store to buy a powered usb 3.1 gen2 pcie card. Has a dedicated power line from the psu and uses a pcie x4 for data.

This is the part that I got.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59648

After 8 hours of VR games (beat saber/account+/moss/face your fears). No more glitch fest for the rift s.....I hope it stays that way and if it changed I will delete or update this page.
14 REPLIES 14

Mnemonic
Level 4
No static flashes anymore?

donnyjoe
Level 4
I fixed this by using a USB port on my monitor, believe it or not :lol: 

KessUsagi
Level 2
The static flashes didn't completely go away but instead of seeing it once ever 5-10 minutes I only ended up seeing it once every two or three hours.

KessUsagi
Level 2

donnyjoe said:

I fixed this by using a USB port on my monitor, believe it or not :lol: 



This rift s is a buggy beast.....maybe it fixed your problems due to it being a powered usb port on the monitor.

donnyjoe
Level 4

KessUsagi said:


donnyjoe said:

I fixed this by using a USB port on my monitor, believe it or not :lol: 



This rift s is a buggy beast.....maybe it fixed your problems due to it being a powered usb port on the monitor.

Yeah, pretty sure it's due to the monitor having its own power supply and fortunately powering the USB hub with it. It's a Dell 144Hz gaming monitor so it's also probably not as cheapo as my lower-end ASUS motherboard. I don't think it's really the Rift's fault in this case; it just can't seem to tolerate a shaky power supply with a high res display and 5 cameras constantly running.

KessUsagi
Level 2

donnyjoe said:


KessUsagi said:


donnyjoe said:

I fixed this by using a USB port on my monitor, believe it or not :lol: 



This rift s is a buggy beast.....maybe it fixed your problems due to it being a powered usb port on the monitor.

Yeah, pretty sure it's due to the monitor having its own power supply and fortunately powering the USB hub with it. It's a Dell 144Hz gaming monitor so it's also probably not as cheapo as my lower-end ASUS motherboard. I don't think it's really the Rift's fault in this case; it just can't seem to tolerate a shaky power supply with a high res display and 5 cameras constantly running.


Yeah but I feel like if they didn't communicate this quark at all. It is either they didn't know because they didn't have a good sample size for real world computers or they thought they could patch it out after release. At the very least they could have added a usb warning on the test software. 

KessUsagi
Level 2
Awesome, day 3 with no lock ups or glitchy business.

ZeroThg
Level 2
@KessUsagi please can You check with GPU Z what PCI express speed your graphics card run?

chris_hansen
Level 3
Hey just curious as I may go get one tomorrow in Calgary - are you using the port itself or a usb-c to usb adapter for the other one? Not sure if it matters. Thanks!