cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Buggy Rift S fixed by powered pcie usb 3.1 gen2

KessUsagi
Honored Guest
Honestly I have been so disappointed with my rift s that I have thought about calling it a loss but there have been some good days and some bad days.Well most bad days. I have gotten the snow/static, controller lock up, static flashes and even the black screen. After the most recent update I got drunk goggle vision...it was weird. At the start of this decent into madness my computer passed the oculus compatibility check tool with recommended settings so I thought I would be all good.... Well it seems like they need to change the compatibility check tool because all my 3.1 usb ports pass the check tool but failed in practice.

My computer has a usb 3.0 VR read port on the mother board (but I have checked all the usb ports and they all acted the same) but that didn't help at all so I got tired of tinkering with it today and went to the local tech store to buy a powered usb 3.1 gen2 pcie card. Has a dedicated power line from the psu and uses a pcie x4 for data.

This is the part that I got.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59648

After 8 hours of VR games (beat saber/account+/moss/face your fears). No more glitch fest for the rift s.....I hope it stays that way and if it changed I will delete or update this page.
14 REPLIES 14

chris_hansen
Explorer
So I went and bought this exact card today, updated all drivers etc and plugged everything in hoping for the best. Literally within the first minute I had a white flash and got really annoyed. However, I continued to play for a good hour or so and never had another flash - whereas before I would get then every 10 mins or so. If they just happen at startup I can live with that till firmware fixes it. Also I did notice with this card that (I think maybe placebo effect?) that my head and hand tracking seems slightly better. I think that the main issue is the rift s uses so much usb bandwidth that it struggles to keep up with only 1 port. At least my theory. Good luck to anyone that chooses to go this route!

ZeroThg
Honored Guest
@chris_hansen can you please check what your PCI express speed is? GPU z is a good tool to check this.

Dego_Locc
Explorer
90% of my problems went away when I reseated the wire going into my headset, My first unit had a stuck pixel, and also was not seated correctly from factory.

chris_hansen
Explorer
I cannot because I returned the piece of shit today when I started getting the hand glitch issue. Good luck to everyone and their new rift, you are all beta testers.

ZeroThg
Honored Guest
I have the Hand glitch issue only with my via USB ports