cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet equals no game play?

Eldraad
Protege
Do to high winds, a nearby fire and Demons, my internet has been and will likely be on/off for the next few days.  I have only now discovered that when I run my Oculus software to start playing I get a Fatal Error Encountered Press any key to restart Dash... and a No Internet message (Internet connection was out at the time). Let us say I am starting any game I have on my PC that is VR either through Oculus home or Steam VR, I get the game load screen and in the headset the Fatal Error message... no matter how many times I click try again the message pops up in my headset over laid on the game screen. Also, putting on the headset does not start the oculus software (in case that was to be a work around).

Does this mean that without the access to internet My Rift S and or CV1 are not usable and games can not be played?

I have seen older messages (2016/2017) where it was supposed to work if the software was correctly installed in the first place or the HMD was worn starting the software.  Is it supposed to work off line if everything was correctly installed and set up prior to internet loss?
15 REPLIES 15

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, it looks like you at least need internet access to startup your Rift.  Hopefully Oculus will provide a fix for this soon.  A short term workaround that might (?) work is to create a wifi hotspot with your smartphone.  You probably only need the hotspot to be active till you startup your Rift.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Eldraad
Protege
Well, that takes the rubber biscuit doesn't it? 😄 So if anything happens to the internet connection Oculus Tethered headsets cannot be used. So the time period when moving to a new home where you are setting up gas, electric, mail, cable and internet is to be considered "down time". I don't believe I was aware of that at the time of purchase or I might have reconsidered the VR Equipment.  The "phone with the hotspot is "possible" as long as a cell phone is used. I may have an old one that I used for 2nd verification's but we rely on the Cable Company for home phone service...

Thank you for the reply!

kojack
MVP
MVP
It may just be a bug (the way that Dash crashes and needs to keep restarting), I'm pretty sure before the current update you could at least run stuff you already had.

I'm on the Australian NBN cable (the government shut down all local internet that wasn't NBN or mobile) and it often either goes down due to faults or due to maintenance. Sometimes days to come back up. So internet for things that don't need the internet (VR development, single player games, etc) is annoying.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Eldraad
Protege
Yes, I have heard about the internet issue there...I watch quite a few Prospecting videos from that area and they ALL comment about it at one time or another :#
My Condolences...

There has been talk about us moving in the near future with all of the problems I mentioned above, so I hope it gets delayed. I'm almost 59 and I don't do much except watch the Grandbaby and hit the VR.  I do remember an incident or two, in the past, where access to products were "Limited" by the MUST have internet connection to verify legal use etc .Microsoft Windows had one for games you would buy the disc for but had to be verified each time you started the game on your pc.  After a few years the Security company went bye bye leaving me with several hundred dollars of unplayable games.  No, they did not supply a patch before they left us, and I had to hunt sites for Cracked No-CD patches to get some to play again.

I have a bit more invested in Oculus with the CV1 x 3 Sensors and the Rift S, plus all of the games bought for VR (and messing with Unreal and Unity to build myself a VR Dungeon Crawl) and find the prospect of not being able to use them when the internet drops very disconcerting...

cinetech
Explorer
Hey ive got the same issue.  Did you find a fix? Wtf is oculus doing. Worst programmers ever. Absolute morons. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

cinetech said:

Hey ive got the same issue.  Did you find a fix? Wtf is oculus doing. Worst programmers ever. Absolute morons. 

Thankfully you have a lot of choices now out there.
Loving my Rift S myself.

cinetech
Explorer
Yeah well try being a developer and see how much you like it.

Eldraad
Protege
Yes, we do have a few choices out there, but we made the choice to purchase Oculus. It would be rather silly (although an extreme option) to sell off the equipment to buy a Vive or an Index or Pimax or any of the others... unless we get too discouraged.  According to some posts on the internet, you used to be able to take Oculus offline (Trickster first suggested it to me for problems I experienced with their game but I don't recall how well it worked). That said, I may try running the beta program and see if it allows offline use.  Heh, I have forgotten why I stopped testing the beta mode...guess I will find out.

Eldraad
Protege
Huzzah! Went through the settings in oculus and saw a notification that some services had been down last night.  Checked my App Version and then the public channel.  Public channel was switched on.  I have had it off as a rule in the past but I recall now that I had to swap back and forth on that setting when I got my first Rift S, which I returned to the store for my current one.  I turned OFF the public setting and Oculus reinstalled back to 1.41.  Testing offline mode worked flawlessly with the internet connection switched off.  I wish I had double checked that offline was still not working before I tried this out.  Now, I do not know if this was what corrected it or if it was one of the oculus app updates or something else.  Pity, would love to know if it was the beta or something else.