cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Laptop Support

NoctemGaming
Level 2
The oculus rift s, unlike other VRs, must have a direct connection to the GPU. This "feature" causes there to be no way to play vr on most laptops without just getting a vive or windows mixed reality. I know this is not a requirement for VR because every other VR has performed excellently on my laptop but not oculus. I wish oculus didn't have that minimum spec requirement check because that is what is ruining it without a direct GPU connection.
Please Fix This Facebook
2 REPLIES 2

Richooal
Level 12
If you've tried every other VR on your laptop, and they work excellently, you don't have a problem. Just use one of those. You don't have to buy every new thing just because it exists.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Mradr
Level 13

The oculus rift s, unlike other VRs, must have a direct connection to the GPU. This "feature" causes there to be no way to play vr on most laptops without just getting a vive or windows mixed reality. I know this is not a requirement for VR because every other VR has performed excellently on my laptop but not oculus. I wish oculus didn't have that minimum spec requirement check because that is what is ruining it without a direct GPU connection.
Please Fix This Facebook

Even though it might work for some - I bet it's not working for all and/or you are overlooking a background problem thinking its the VR headset issue when it's the connection it self. This is a requirement because of the limitation found from older hardware linking the GPU to the port for the CPU to save power. This isn't a software bug - but a hardware bug found in that setup. The only way around it is to redesign how that link works and that will only happen if you buy a newer laptop unfortunately. Granted - with the way Quest is going to go about it - it might be possible to by pass that limitation. Until it release - it's a unknown until then. Unfortunately, Rift S will not have the ability to do this new link yet.

Also, this isn't the answer we would want either as the link would be limited to USB speeds meaning something would have to be given up to make it work really well either it be the resolution or the FPS/refresh rates of the device. So this might fix some backwards compatibility for unsupported laptops - it wont fix forward thinking hardware that fix that bug either.

Even though they could disable this check and let customers figure it out for themselves - it really doesn't help people that have no clue - waste time trying to figure out why it's not working - and then wasted too much time and feeling wasted out of the money than it is to just block it and call it a day. I mean at the end of the day - the company that allows it MUST support it - and if they have NO control over how that part works - then you can't support it and therefore must do your best to keep users safe best you can. UK laws are all about that and some US laws as well.