cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Man's Sky icon not displaying in Rift library - Fix

I decided to spring clean my Rift library and check everything was running ok including all the Steam games, steering wheel is set up ok for all the driving sims, joystick set up ok for flight etc etc.. so after all that, the only problem remaining was no icon being displayed for No Man's Sky

Couldn't find a solution on the forum or the net (sorry if this has already been posted somewhere but I couldn't find it). So here's the fix for anyone else with OCD like me.
The problem is the game's apostrophe in the canonical naming which seems to confuse the Oculus software from getting the correct folder for the icons, I'm guessing it's confusing it for the end quotation.

Probably a good idea to make a backup of the below files and folders just in case.

Fix:
1. Delete the apostrophe from the two NMS json filenames located in C:\Program_Files\Oculus\CoreData\Manifests
2. Open the above two json files in notepad and delete the apostrophe from the canonicalName string only (DO NOT delete the apostrophes from the directory descriptions that follow the canonicalName string in the first json file, the apostrophe can remain in the displayName string, or you can give it any displayName you like).
3. Delete the apostrophe from the NMS folder name located within C:\Program_Files\Oculus\CoreData\Software\StoreAssets
4. Restart the Oculus software (Settings, Beta, Restart Oculus).
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a bit weird. My icons were fine up until a while ago, and my link to the game in the Library installed the game again for some reason. I've got two of the buggers now lol 😄

And they both are missing the icon, so cheers for this, I'll sort it out when I can be arsed! 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’ve generally avoided using Oculus library icons for SteamVR games, because I had several games that didn’t work properly if they were launched that way (no audio, among other issues). I’ve also had some games not generate Oculus library icons.

Something must have improved either in the Oculus app or SteamVR, because I recently noticed that a few new icons showed up (HL:A, for one). When I tested them, they seemed to launch successfully, so I guess I’ll try this fix and see if NMS will work that way.

Edit: Well, first hurdle--there are no json files in there for NMS, although there are json files for other recent games that don't appear in my Oculus library (namely GZDoom OpenVR mod). Tried launching NMS from within the Oculus desktop mode, but it just launched the game on the desktop rather than in VR, and still didn't create any json files. I'll mess around a bit more and see if I can get it to generate the files. I normally launch the game from within SteamVR Home, but I do the same for all SteamVR games, and other recent ones like HL:A and Boneworks do have library icons.

Edit 2: Played the game in VR, still no new json files. When I hit the Oculus menu while playing, it indicates that I'm playing SteamVR. I'll have to google the way to launch the game in VR without doing it from within SteamVR Home--there is likely a Steam launch option to force it. If I can do that, maybe Oculus will recognize the game while it's being played and create the files.

Edit 3: Tried to manually add NMS to my Oculus library, pointed it to the exe file, but that just launches it in desktop mode.

Edit 4: Deleted my manual json files, and added -HmdEnable 1 to the Launch options in Steam. Now the game can be launched directly into VR, and Oculus recognizes it and creates json files. I do see a proper icon in the Library viewed in VR, but a blank icon in the desktop library. Tried the edits, and the icon disappeared from my library. Played the game again, and the library icon cam back with unedited json files. !!?? I'll try it again from the top... --my mistake, I missed a step doing the edits.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Yeah, I've noticed things improve too, so far I've not found any problems launching from Oculus, except Prey:Typhon Hunter which doesn't seem to want to create an Oculus shortcut at all so I'll have to do it manually.

I've started to use the Oculus library more as it seems to cut out the extra step of 'Launch in monitor or VR mode' that Steam adds to most VR games, at least if you're launching from the monitor... if you're launching from Steam VR in the headset I guess it doesn't do that.

I like having everything in one place which is Oculus right now, I used to create shortcuts in a games folder for Oculus and Steam VR games and just use that but Oculus seems to do it ok now.

nalex66 said:

Edit: Well, first hurdle--there are no json files in there for NMS, although there are json files for other recent games that don't appear in my Oculus library (namely GZDoom OpenVR mod). Tried launching NMS from within the Oculus desktop mode, but it just launched the game on the desktop rather than in VR, and still didn't create any json files. I'll mess around a bit more and see if I can get it to generate the files. I normally launch the game from within SteamVR Home, but I do the same for all SteamVR games, and other recent ones like HL:A and Boneworks do have library icons.

Edit 2: Played the game in VR, still no new json files. When I hit the Oculus menu while playing, it indicates that I'm playing SteamVR. I'll have to google the way to launch the game in VR without doing it from within SteamVR Home--there is likely a Steam launch option to force it. If I can do that, maybe Oculus will recognize the game while it's being played and create the files.

You could try adding the game manually using the desktop Oculus software (the + at the top of the library), Then edit the json files, you should end up at the same result, I'll add the json file contents here just in case things get messed up!

OK (& for anyone interested, change all the x's to the games installation drive letter)

first json is:
x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_NoMansSky_Binaries_NMS.json

and with the apostrophes removed, it's contents are:
C:\Program Files\Oculus\CoreData\Manifests
{"canonicalName":"x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_NoMansSky_Binaries_NMS","displayName":"No Man's Sky","files":{"x:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/No Man's Sky/Binaries\\NMS.exe":""},"firewallExceptionsRequired":false,"isCore":false,"launchFile":"x:/Program Files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/No Man's Sky/Binaries\\NMS.exe","launchParameters":"","manifestVersion":0,"packageType":"APP","thirdParty":true,"version":"1","versionCode":1}

second json is:
x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_NoMansSky_Binaries_NMS_assets.json

I think the long letter/number strings are unique to everyone's install so those probably have to remain unchanged but after adding the game manually I think you should have this second file and so you'd just edit the canonical line to:

"canonicalName": "x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_NoMansSky_Binaries_NMS_assets",

Come to think of it, if you add the game manually you'll end up with the game's exe icon being used as the Oculus icon so you'd need to replace those image files in the C:\Program Files\Oculus\CoreData\Software\StoreAssets NMS folder with the attached ones:

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Okay, finally sorted and working (more edits to my original post above with some of the details). The -HmdEnable 1 launch option in Steam allowed the game to be recognized by Oculus, and with that working, I was able to fix the json files as you explained in your first post, so now the library icon uses the correct graphics in desktop and VR view. I had missed the first step of editing the the json filenames in my previous attempt.

I tried some games that had been problematic before, and now everything seems to work when launched from my Oculus library (except those GZDoom OpenVR ones, they still don't show up, but I can probably add them manually).

Thanks!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo