cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Dash Disable X-Ray for Pinned Windows

owenwp
Expert Protege
Just wanted to put in a request for an option to make pinned dash windows not use the X-Ray effect while the dash is closed, and instead have them clip against the 3D geometry normally as if they were part of the game world. That way we could do something like put a video screen out on the far wall of a virtual environment without it drawing on top of all the foreground objects. It would make it so you can have (single player) Big Screen like functionality in any game.
4 REPLIES 4

LZoltowski
Champion

owenwp said:

Just wanted to put in a request for an option to make pinned dash windows not use the X-Ray effect while the dash is closed, and instead have them clip against the 3D geometry normally as if they were part of the game world. That way we could do something like put a video screen out on the far wall of a virtual environment without it drawing on top of all the foreground objects. It would make it so you can have (single player) Big Screen like functionality in any game.

I believe that would be computationally expensive and would require access to the z-depth buffer for each application, which varies between engines used and would be extremely difficult to work across the board.

The pinned windows do not exist within the game/environment but are simply overlayed on top of the frame using the same "space" coordinates to make them seem as if they are there.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

owenwp
Expert Protege
The X-Ray effect is already using the depth buffer provided by applications.

LZoltowski
Champion
It is? I always thought it's only reacting to object outlines without actually being aware of them in the render pass, a bit like a filter on top, but no actual z-depth .. interesting.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

owenwp
Expert Protege
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-dash/

What I am asking for would actually make the rendering potentially cheaper, as it could discard pixels that are occluded.