Larania
Honored Guest

I recently bought an Alienware M15 R5 Ryzen Edition

. 15.6 FHD 360hz

.AM Ryzen 9 5900hx

.16gb RAM

1 TB SSD

GeFore RTX 3070 8gb

Windows 11 (also downgraded to windows 10)

First of all i also have an alienware R4 and quest 2 works fine with both oculus link and air link

Whenever i connect to the alienware m15 with either cable or air it shows a black solid color fill or just a black image on top of the floating HUD but i can see the controls just below me where i can go to the settings or disconnect or go to home, i can even see the Steam VR Home just that there is this black image that hinders me to see my computer desktop.

I've tried resetting both laptop and quest 2.

Updated to latest driver and even downgraded to a stable driver for both.

Only solution that worked for me is either i deactivate the second gpu which is gtx 3070 so quest 2 will solely rely on the dedicated which is AMD or manually change app preference into using the dedicated gpu without the need to deactive gtx 3070.

Please help i've been at this for days..

3 REPLIES 3

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there Larania! While we can see that you're dealing with a black screen when using either your Link cable or Air Link, it's not clear if you were able to resolve this issue on your own. We'd be more than happy to provide our own insight on the matter, just in case!

First, your Quest 2 will have to run on the dedicated GPU with the latest drivers, as it will not run on an integrated graphics processor. It does appear that you've changed your settings already to allow your Quest 2 to run on your dedicated graphics card, as well as updated your drivers, so we applaud you for taking the initiative!

Next, we did notice that you are running Windows 11, which is still not supported on your Quest 2. For best performance, please run on the most recent Windows 10 build (21H2, also known as 19044.1586).

We'd also like to advise you to stop any additional programs that are not necessary for your laptop to run, as conflicting programs could possibly cause discrepancies such as the black screen you've observed. This would include programs designed for overclocking of your CPU, and streaming or gaming services.

If you've completed all of this, and still run into a black screen during a Link connection, then we'd be pleased to review your Oculus logs in a support ticket! Feel free to contact our Support team at your leisure. One of our knowledgeable agents will delightedly continue assisting you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I have the exact same issue. I have gone into the oculus app through my graphic settings and set all programs, drivers, I mean everything to run using my gtx 3050 instead of the laptops default card. I am so frustrated I don't know what else to do. This is a common issue it seems for laptop users to get a black screen or notice that states "Your system's graphics card is incompatible with the Rift system software". I have found people asking about this all over the internet with no solution offered. Maybe it's something to do with Windows 11.

Hey there, @3LeftToes! We can definitely understand your concerns regarding the black screen issue that you've run into, and we'd love to help! Please reach out to us through our support site where we'll be able to take a closer look at the issue and see what we can do to help get it resolved! We'll need to review your logs, which we aren't able to do through the forums. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!