cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S Floor - Height issue

Pic0o
Protege
Hello.  I recall many people having similar issues while seating, where you are only about 3 ft tall and it makes many games an experiences difficult.

Since we cannot set the floor lower than the max point that is possible to touch the floor in real life, has there been any progress or mitigation for setting your height?  I am aware applications have a parameter they can use that specifies between seated and standing mode... but one of the most consistent issues of this happens in Oculus Home.

I can add more details if needed and on a quick search I did not see this mentioned lately.  Using a Rift S, is there any way to set your height / the floor level higher than the distance presented between your controllers and the actual ground?  It makes seated games really difficult to enjoy while seated and I image it's frustrating for persons who do not have the option or ability to stand up while using VR.

I have my prior CV headset and can hook that back up, but I think that is a silly resolution for some sort of persistent height adjustment.  Not sure if there is or could be a base-level software flag to present your in-game height to be as if you were standing up.  Since this floor setting is defined in the guardian setup for the Rift S, where you touch the actual ground to bind your height.
20 REPLIES 20

EclipsedTheSun
Honored Guest
Oculus, you certainly are NOT doing your disabled community any favors. I'm actually really disappointed about that. Like the gentleman above said, he has back problems that prevent standing for extended periods of time, does he just not get to enjoy VR because he has a disability? Really just poor service guys.

Xarstealth
Protege
well..i hate oculus but..its not an oculus problem, its a game problem, simply the game you are trying to play is not made to play seated, when the game is enabled u always have a setting inside to change seated\standing
also some games like alyx provide you a button tu stand\crouch that can be setted in steam menu so u seat on ur chair, press that button and magically you are standing in the game, i played all alyx seated as it was my first vr game and well... smoke and no exercises was killing me after few mins hehe

only thing oculus can do is introduce an offset to help in those game who are not meant to be played seated
in those game u will also have problem in evading stuffs because u cant move your body too much

Xarstealth
Protege

Pic0o said:

Thank you all for adding to the conversation.  I too have some back issues and find seated to be preferable.  I tried to browse some of the Oculus developer SDK documents for parameters on how the height is being set by the guardian process but did not have any luck.  I also tried to run ProcessMonitor on windows (by Windows SysInternals) but did not isolate any parameters.

I was hoping to find something in the .json or .xml oculus configuration files as I did not see any flags in the windows registry that seemed to be getting set.  My intent is to at least get an idea what range value gets used for setting floor distance and possibly making a took that lets us bind the floor, as if from a standing height.

probably because oculus dsnt need your height as a data, it will be a bit unusefull, you just set the floor not for the headset but for the app you run that will render the floor where u indicated in guardian setup, then well just need to see the floor and u are positioned in virtual space without necessary height calculation, some apps do it just inside theme like beatsaber but its found in "reverse" mode counting cm between the floor and your lenses

edit : maybe its more understandable like this, you headset has x,y,z axis that can moove freely everywhere even at 10km distance if u have a long cable or a road without cars hehe , you position is absolute and floor is just a preset, if u have a stair near you u can just position underlevelled you floor and u will feel a giant everywhere and probably u will fall 

Pic0o
Protege
The 3rd party games tend to have seated support.  Oculus Home and the major oculus backed games, are the ones that tend to not have seated support.

There are developer flags to have guardian setup utilize a seated mode option.
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/android/mobile-guardian/?locale=en_US

My point here is, Oculus Home itself does not use this, like many major games do.  We used to have an offset height with the Rift CV, but with Rift S, it is not possible to physically lower the floor in guardian, since it's a physical check.  That is the mitigation being asked for.

Xarstealth
Protege

Pic0o said:

The 3rd party games tend to have seated support.  Oculus Home and the major oculus backed games, are the ones that tend to not have seated support.

There are developer flags to have guardian setup utilize a seated mode option.
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/android/mobile-guardian/?locale=en_US

My point here is, Oculus Home itself does not use this, like many major games do.  We used to have an offset height with the Rift CV, but with Rift S, it is not possible to physically lower the floor in guardian, since it's a physical check.  That is the mitigation being asked for.

ouch i misunderstood some parts of the first post so 🙂 sorry
im half way to conspirancy stuffs lol but...oculus goal is not let u play to games..in years of development there 3 or 4 nice game made for oculus and nothing more (i ignore what was before rift s btw so can be wrong)
i really think that when facebook will release horizon will start to understand that if they want ppl on their social platform for more than 5 minutes...they have to let u use seated without any limitation on "gameplay" and maybe will add something for oculus home too.. i dont like home so i just use the white trekk holodek and there i have no problem just need to press the oculus button to have everything moved to my new head position that can be used to walkaround for seated\standing position (and more customized than stand\seat in game)

Belwin_Ec
Explorer
How in the HELL is this still an issue after over 8 months?!?! Oculus, please get off your lazy arse and create a 5 minute fix in your crappy software!! You USED to have this in Rift !!

Why is it so hard to have a manual setting to adjust height?  Or just tell us where the fuggin .ini file is and we can modify it ourselves!

Also, you used to have a calibrator in Rift, but not the Rift S ?!?! WTF guys?  The red is slightly off and I can't adjust it, like I could with Rift!!

I just "upgraded" to the Rift S and I am mortified to write this out, but I am DISAPPOINTED!  It feels like you guys just phoned it in, with total shite coding.

Hate to say this, but this one might actually be going back and if that's the case, I will never get another Oculus product again...all because of lazy-ass programming.
<insert silly, witty comment here>

Belwin_Ec
Explorer
Oh yeah, another thing?  The IPD doesn't work like it used to!!!!  I can't even see mid-ranged without it being blurry, unlike the Rift, which worked fine.

More damn lazy programming....

Pic0o
Protege
Pics or it didn't happen, I guess.

Still same as it has been.  Minimum floor setting options make me unable to be taller than about 3 feet in-game for titles like Oculus Home. I am shown roughly the height of a coffee table.ldzrxyn57nu3.jpeg6bjlekcr619e.jpega5libvkpkt7v.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its not gonna help with things purchased in the Oculus store but if you purchase through Steam you can use a free program called WalkinVR. It lets you adjust your seated height, standing height, and then toggle between them with a specified button or something like a double click. It is made for people with disabilities but I use it for my son who is way too short to play most games.

The point is to be seated and simulate standing up. But you can just use it to adjust your seated height to essentially artificially make yourself taller in any Steam game.

Belwin_Ec
Explorer
Hi there Adam - really appreciate the help on this.  I might grab that app.  Thanks!

The original point is still the same - that there are some lazy programmers over there at Oculus and that height is a basic configuration for the system - it's like buying a car without a steering wheel.  FFS