cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S not connecting / not detected

reivaxrm
Honored Guest
I've received my new Oculus Rift S two days ago and the only thing that I've got is disappointment.
The setup program does not detect the headset. I plug the USB 3.0 connection and nothing happens. No error or message appears in the Windows device manager. Obviously, the same result if I connect the displayport some seconds later.
Windows updated, USB, graphics card, motherboard drivers updated. Oculus drivers uptaded using oculus-driver app. All to the last version and absolutely no activity when the setup softare is waiting for the headset.
I've reinstalled Windows and the Oculus setup software many times. I've even tried it only connecting the headsed alone and all the other USB 3.0 ports with nothing connected.
All my USB 3.0 ports work perfectly with any other device. I'm afraid that the headset that I've received is dead.
Please, can someone help me? Thank you very much.

47 REPLIES 47

BasementDoc
Honored Guest
Purchased two new Aurora R9 and two new Rift S. Processing power wasn’t an issue – compatibility is a major issue. The Rift-S has buggy hardware and software, making installation and use extremely difficult (see reddit and other oculus threads on all the freezes/stalls/failed install/startup, etc.) with a main culprit being the USB ports. Apparently, the Alienware Aurora USB 3 ports don’t work well and the findings were replicated on two new independent systems, confirming a design flaw. Only one USB port (front middle port) worked OK with Rift S. Like others here, invested more than a dozen hours of reading forums, reinstalls/downloads (we clocked >80GB of repeat downloads of oculus install software), turning off power saving features, virus protection, switching USB drivers, testing different ports, re-installing half-dozen times.  It's working for the moment, but Rift S is not the solution for widespread VR, so it's not surprising to see Facebook giving attention to Quest (we have two of those, which work fine).  Concerned they will ignore the higher end Rift S as may be minor software income relative to Quest due to sheer numbers.

leoguitron
Honored Guest
I had a lot of problems with the usb connections in my pc, have 6 usb 3.0 and 4 usb 3.1 connectors, and in all of them, there were problems with the headset, i have a usb-c connector, so i got an adapter from usb-a to usb-c and worked fine, no more problems with not detecting the connection or no video, seems that rift s doesn't like the normal usb ports..?

Crippey
Honored Guest
I hate this thing, I have huge buyers remorse. Bought a 4k$ custom built machine to run VR and the rift S just never damn works

Zaid_Likes_Cats
Honored Guest
Yeah same I bought the Rift S just yesterday i checked everything they were all up to date I to off the thingy and took off the cable and waiting and put it back in I TRIED everything and now im out of ideas :(. What do I do?

tailsld
Honored Guest
I am having the same problem as well.  Used the system for a while shut it down for a few hours. when the computer shut down it updated and shut down. now it dosent work. i hate facebook

Magus069
Honored Guest
I had the same problem just recently in the end of the year 2020 with the Oculus Rift S... Searching in vein trying to find a fix for this with no avail.
I ended up trying things by myself with ideas throughout the web. I ended up with assured win for my situation. Any time I have problems with the headset not connecting I would do the following steps:

1. Install headset drivers by executing the following file: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers\oculus-drivers.exe

2. When opening the Oculus software, the device is still not being detected. You can either leave the software open or close it for the next steps.

3. Once this is done, now go to Windows start menu and type down "Device Manager" or access it through control panel.

4. Scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus (USB) controllers and you should be able to see/identify a component such as Rift S. If by any case you only have one Rift S component detected and it contains a Yellow triangle... My best bet is to try a different USB port on your PC as this is how I managed to get to the next step.

5. In my case I managed to get two different Rift S which one of them had a yellow triangle (Yellow triangle reports as error Code 31) and the other one seems to be just fine. I uninstall the component that is working just fine. NOTE for this to work, you need to be able to check an option within the uninstall dialog that says "Delete the driver software for this device" and this must be selected. Afterwards uninstall the device with a yellow triangle.

6. Wait and see the magic in the oculus software. Not kidding and I couldn't understand the logic behind this fix, but hey worth a shot... If it doesn't work you simply can re-install the drivers from the location on step 1

gfilos
Honored Guest
any help guys?i have the same issue with display port its turning around trying to recognise it but nothing....and if somehow can make it going to next step when i press continue i see instant that stop recognition of display port so it cant found the sensors....any help?

xRadicalDragon
Honored Guest
I've had an Oculus Rift S since July 2019 and i can say its never worked perfectly. First there was a controller duplication, then I suddenly have to do an environment setup about 3 times every use and the cables never detected first time, now they don't detect at all. As far as im concerned, Oculus has not fixed any of these issues, and the controller duplication was a community fix. It feels like this has been given up on by Oculus which is really disappointing.

Lucygoosey88
Honored Guest
Fuck Oculus

apbird
Honored Guest

I've had an Oculus Rift S since July 2019 and i can say its never worked perfectly. First there was a controller duplication, then I suddenly have to do an environment setup about 3 times every use and the cables never detected first time, now they don't detect at all. As far as im concerned, Oculus has not fixed any of these issues, and the controller duplication was a community fix. It feels like this has been given up on by Oculus which is really disappointing.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?