cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S tracking issues

Exce55ion
Honored Guest
So I've had the Oculus Rift S since the 23rd (I preordered it) and I ordered it for the purpose of playing high level beatsaber maps/competing for top spots in the game. However, 5 hours into the game and I'm having trouble beating any Expert + maps due to the fact that the tracking will constantly "blackout" leaving my saber stuck in the down position after swinging.  It will still rotate when I move my wrist but it won't move for a few seconds and in difficult maps this consistently leads to failure.  Is there any known fix for this or is the tracking on this version of the Oculus actually just this bad?  It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of returning it.  I have tried bypassing the settings that causes my PC to turn off power to the USB 3.0 port if it is trying to save energy, and I've tried several other fixes including double checking the cables and new batteries but nothing has worked so far.  It also seems that the new controllers have significantly less options for useful grips that won't eventually give me carpal tunnel, and as a percussionist this is also a major problem.  Thoughts?
12 REPLIES 12

alec_menadue_7
Honored Guest
That shouldn't be happening at all, the tracking is great until it stops working. I've been having a more severe version of your issue where the controllers will freeze in place after anywhere from 1-20 minutes of play. I can still rotate the controllers, push the buttons, turn my head, but the Passthrough cameras show static and nothing i've done has helped. USB stuff I did, reinstalled the Oculus software 4 times, reseated all the connections and tried all USB ports, rearranged my room as the tech agent I was talking to told me my room may be too bland in some spots for the cameras to track? Lighting? No help. People/pets moving in the room? Doesn't matter. Consistent issue that is only temporarily fixed with a hard reset and even then there is no telling how long it will last. I'm sorry, but support is not communicating with us and there's no telling of a patch to possibly fix it. 

ZenWolf117
Honored Guest
I'm having the same problem as well. I have turned off the USB power save options, reinstalled several times, cleaned the lenses, everything that the internet has suggested. It would be nice that my first step into VR wasn't soured with these tracking issues. Sometimes it works wonders but most of the times the system just decides that my hands are going to be stuck in the air and jitter from spot to spot while allowing me to partially rotate them while my headset itself is still able to fully rotate. Any official support would be wonderful

JohnRB
Protege
I had 4 camera for my rift and tracking was never a issue.  With the rift s I have trouble if a controller is close to my side or back.
can I add cameras on the rift s to cover what the head set doesn't cover?

Anonymous
Not applicable
What type of video card do you have? If you have VirtualLink port on the card hook the USB to it instead of one of your USB ports.  You will need a USB A to C adapter. 

Kidaeyo
Honored Guest
Has this problem been fixed yet? If so how???? I'm having the same issue...

Kidaeyo
Honored Guest
I THINK I FIXED IT. It turns out, all I needed to do was move the USB cable to a USB 3.0 port on my PC. At first it was connected to USB 2.0 port. 

lordsherman
Honored Guest

Kidaeyo said:

I THINK I FIXED IT. It turns out, all I needed to do was move the USB cable to a USB 3.0 port on my PC. At first it was connected to USB 2.0 port. 

is this fully fixed for you now?  I am getting this certain issue only after having the system for a solid two weeks of no issues, well minor blackscreens,  the only fix i can have is if I reseat cables but it still will continue to happen once i launch a game.

ThatGuyThimo
Honored Guest
This issue has jet to be fixed by oculus. 
The only thing that you can do right now is to either RMA the oculus rift s or wait for a firmware update.

All the other methods are unreliable
As it's not a permanent solution. 

I am personally waiting for a firmware update to fix the problem but this will probably take another month. 

In the meantime I hope some of you find a temporary solution for your oculus rift. 

Forsakenwolf42
Honored Guest

This issue has jet to be fixed by oculus. 
The only thing that you can do right now is to either RMA the oculus rift s or wait for a firmware update.

All the other methods are unreliable
As it's not a permanent solution. 

I am personally waiting for a firmware update to fix the problem but this will probably take another month. 

In the meantime I hope some of you find a temporary solution for your oculus rift. 

Is the device defective or is it just firmware because mine barely wants to even turn on. And i'm having the tracking issue.