cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift s stuttering

General220
Honored Guest
I've been having this problem for a while. I thought I could live with it but I guess not. 

The problem is that whenever I move my head the screen stutters. It doesn't matter which direction.

I had bought a cable from amazon, female usb 3.1 to usb-c. But nothing changed. Closed specific apps, still nothing.

I don't know how to fix the problem. Please help.
6 REPLIES 6

PITTCANNA
Visionary
have you tried to adjust your performance profile?

• Open the Oculus app on your Computer.
  • Click Devices on the left side of the app.
  • Click Quest and Touch.
  • Scroll down to Graphics Performance.
  • Choose the best option for your GPU. Your options are:
    • Automatic: When this option is selected, the optimal setting for your configuration will be chosen for you.
    • Performance: This setting is recommended if your configuration is lower spec.
    • Balance: This setting is recommended for mid tier spec configurations.
    • Quality: This setting is recommended for higher spec configurations.

Please note: If you’re using a less powerful GPU, the Automatic setting may result in an overly aggressive profile. In this case, you may have a better experience by switching your setting to Performance instead.

Also if your using a usb port on the front headers they tend to be less stable.

use a usb port on the rear of the pc.

General220
Honored Guest

PITTCANNA said:

have you tried to adjust your performance profile?

• Open the Oculus app on your Computer.
  • Click Devices on the left side of the app.
  • Click Quest and Touch.
  • Scroll down to Graphics Performance.
  • Choose the best option for your GPU. Your options are:
    • Automatic: When this option is selected, the optimal setting for your configuration will be chosen for you.
    • Performance: This setting is recommended if your configuration is lower spec.
    • Balance: This setting is recommended for mid tier spec configurations.
    • Quality: This setting is recommended for higher spec configurations.

Please note: If you’re using a less powerful GPU, the Automatic setting may result in an overly aggressive profile. In this case, you may have a better experience by switching your setting to Performance instead.

Also if your using a usb port on the front headers they tend to be less stable.

use a usb port on the rear of the pc.

I did what you suggested. Unfortunately it didn't work. Imma try to repair the app. And hopefully that helps.

GlasWolf
Honored Guest
Mine stutters whenever I'm connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, but is fine in Gen 1.  You may have to check your motherboard manual to find out which ports are which.  There's a post on Reddit with further info, including a suggested add-in card if none of your ports are compatible - search for "Possible fix for 1.38 Rift S stutter problem".

DarkSilhouette9
Honored Guest
Are you still having this problem General220? I am having the same problem and have been for 2  months now. Nothing works to fix it. Even the Gen 1 suggestion GlasWolf mentioned. Headset works fine on my wifes computer.

Pedro7777
Explorer
I'm in contact with Oculus support right now for the same issue. It's been going on a few weeks for me and i've tried everything. As has been said above, i've got great framerates but everytime I move my head the whole image judders and freezes. If I keep still everything is smooth. I get this in Oculus Home or SteamVR home too. 
I'm running an RTX3070 with the latest drivers.

GlasWolf
Honored Guest
"Judders and freezes" sounds more dramatic than what I had.  In my case the image would just blip briefly every second or two while my head was moving.  Out of interest, what motherboard do you have?  Mine is an MSI B450-A Pro Max, BIOS 7B86vM7.