Oculus discontinues the best VR option soon

cybernettr
Level 9

Facebook To Discontinue Oculus Rift S Beginning 2021

https://vrscout.com/news/facebook-end-sales-of-oculus-rift-s/
34 REPLIES 34

cybernettr
Level 9
Yes, it IS (was) the best VR option graphics-wise, despite the opining of certain "experts" on these forums *cough*zenbane*cough*. See this side-by-side comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_7r5huQ7Y

dburne
Level 15
RIP Rift.
Loved my CV1 and also my Rift S. Still using my Rift S daily for many hours a week.
They both have done a great job for me and for the longest I was very loyal to Oculus products whilst many of my fellow flight simmers were moving on to others.  I also have a Quest but do not use it all that much any more.

Quest 2 with Link and a required FB account - no thanks, especially not for how I use VR.
Awaiting my Reverb G2 I have on pre-order.

But the Rift opened me up to a whole new gaming world I could only have previously imagined.
I game much more now that I have VR. Spend more money too ugh.

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

Double_Shot
Level 5
Personally, with the armchair Oculus Experts in this forum not withstanding, I think FB and Oculus are going to see a mass exodus of users (read:  consumers'  $$) with all of these less-than-stellar changes.

It has already begun.  I put my CV-1 on Craigslist for a ridiculously low price and I haven't got one bite on it in 3 weeks.  I live in Las Vegas.  Last year, when I was looking for one for a family member, every one I called on had already been sold - and that was in a much smaller market in Oregon.  I see the Rift-S units staying on CL a long time too and they are already severely discounted from just a few months ago.  Same with the Quests.

dburne
Level 15
Yeah I will likely soon have a Rift CV1, Rift S, and Quest up for sale and I expect I will get very little for them.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

cybernettr
Level 9
From the article:

Add in the fact that Quest 2 will support PC powered VR experiences via Oculus Link Plus, and you have the perfect combination of Quest and Rift.

Does anyone know what this means? I bought an expensive Oculus-ready PC with my Rift CV1, and VR is the only thing I really use it for. I bought a PC that was highly upgradeable, for the express purpose of being able to use it for VR for many years. 

Will I be able to use my many, many purchased Oculus games in the future? What about SteamVR games, especially epic and much-beloved games like Skyrim VR and Fallout 4?

I could buy an extra Rift S now as future insurance, but as I have covered before, these headsets have a limited lifespan, and they WILL wear out (break) eventually. I don't know if they have a stated average lifespan, but from my own experience, it is not NEARLY as long as the average PC monitor. Also, when you buy it, even with an extended warranty, the warranty starts ticking at the moment of purchase, so even if you buy a spare, it may not have much warranty left by the time your current one wears out.

lensmandave
Level 9

From the article:

Add in the fact that Quest 2 will support PC powered VR experiences via Oculus Link Plus, and you have the perfect combination of Quest and Rift.

Does anyone know what this means? I bought an expensive Oculus-ready PC with my Rift CV1, and VR is the only thing I really use it for. I bought a PC that was highly upgradeable, for the express purpose of being able to use it for VR for many years. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You should be able to use the Quest 2 tethered to your gaming PC with the optical Link cable and play all your games as you did with your CV1
This is what I am planning to do. I have a Rift S and I've pre ordered the Quest 2. Looks like a nice upgrade.
90% more pixels to play with. Should look good at 90Hz through the Link Cable ::smile:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Zenbane
Level 15

Yes, it IS (was) the best VR option graphics-wise, despite the opining of certain "experts" on these forums *cough*zenbane*cough*. See this side-by-side comparison:

I never said that Rift "was not" the best VR option graphics-wise, so not sure why you're dropping my name in the comment.

Personally, I don't have an opinion on which VR HMD available today offers the overall best graphics. They all have their pro's and con's.

Nunyabinez
Level 8

From the article:

Will I be able to use my many, many purchased Oculus games in the future? What about SteamVR games, especially epic and much-beloved games like Skyrim VR and Fallout 4?

I could buy an extra Rift S now as future insurance, but as I have covered before, these headsets have a limited lifespan, and they WILL wear out (break) eventually. I don't know if they have a stated average lifespan, but from my own experience, it is not NEARLY as long as the average PC monitor. Also, when you buy it, even with an extended warranty, the warranty starts ticking at the moment of purchase, so even if you buy a spare, it may not have much warranty left by the time your current one wears out.

I have a Rift CV1 and a Quest and I use both on my gaming machine. I bought the Quest 2 and it will now become my main headset. Oculus expects that from now on, the people who want to play PCVR will do so with a Quest 2 and Link Plus.

For what you would pay for a Rift S you could buy a Quest 2 with 256GB of storage. You could still play your "Rift" games on it via the Link cable, but also have a portable headset that plays lots of great games (some of the same ones as your Rift, but not as graphically detailed).

When we first get the Quest 2, it will be a similar experience to the current Quest via Link because it will run at 72hz and the current Quest resolution. However, eventually they will move to 90Hz with the nearly 2K resolution. BTW, the current Quest experience with Link v1 is much better in many ways than the CV1. I don't have a Rift S, so I can't compare.

I have to say, comparing Rift S to Quest is silly. Of course Quest games won't look as good as (in my case) something with a $1,200 video card. The real test will be putting a Rift S up against a Quest 2 running Link Plus. My money is on the Quest putting the Rift S to shame and coming close to G2. but we will have to wait and see.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

JohnnyDioxin
Level 11
Funny how people mention armchair experts in a derogatory way and then start to tell us all "how it will be".

Calling Rift S the best VR option is narrow-minded to say the least. Might be the best Oculus PCVR option (edit depending on what you want out of VR) - but that's as far as it goes.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2