cybernettr
Superstar

Facebook To Discontinue Oculus Rift S Beginning 2021

https://vrscout.com/news/facebook-end-sales-of-oculus-rift-s/
34 REPLIES 34

Double_Shot
Adventurer

JD-UK said:

Funny how people mention armchair experts in a derogatory way and then start to tell us all "how it will be".

Calling Rift S the best VR option is narrow-minded to say the least. Might be the best Oculus PCVR option (edit depending on what you want out of VR) - but that's as far as it goes.

Well since this is an Oculus site for Oculus users I made the assumption the OP was referring to Oculus equipment and posted accordingly.  You're feeling targeted for some reason, not sure why but hey, if the shoe fits, wear it I guess.  (shrug)

Also, please note I said "I think" before stating an opinion.  I never stated this is how things WILL be.   Reading comprehension's a good thing.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
He didn't say the best Oculus headset. And many headsets are discussed in this forum but if you feel you have to justify his statement, be my guest. Good night. You may now ease your ego with whatever reposte you like - I'm outta here.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Double_Shot
Adventurer

JD-UK said:

He didn't say the best Oculus headset. And many headsets are discussed in this forum but if you feel you have to justify his statement, be my guest. Good night. You may now ease your ego with whatever reposte you like - I'm outta here.

hahaha  ok man whatever gets you through the night.  (rolling eyes)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Facebook To Discontinue Oculus Rift S Beginning 2021

https://vrscout.com/news/facebook-end-sales-of-oculus-rift-s/

I don't think that there is an official FB statement regarding this yet.  Posting Fake News is not very useful imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I’ll believe this when it’s officially announced.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP
I've seen a few articles on the end of the Rift-S but none of them actually provide any source. So I did a little looking and found official word: https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-quest-2-the-next-generation-of-all-in-one-vr-gaming/
We’re going to focus on standalone VR headsets moving forward. We’ll no
longer pursue PC-only hardware, with sales of Rift S ending in 2021.
That said, the Rift Platform isn’t going anywhere. In fact, we've seen
significant growth in PC VR via Oculus Link, and the Rift Platform will
continue to grow while offering high-end PC VR experiences like Lone Echo II and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond well into the future.
The important thing there is that it's PC-only hardware that's ending, not PC-only software.
If the comfort of the Quest 2 is better than Quest 1 and they can improve Link quality, then it has the potential of being a better PC headset than the Rift-S.

The CV1 is still better overall.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

cybernettr
Superstar

Zenbane said:
I never said that Rift "was not" the best VR option graphics-wise, so not sure why you're dropping my name in the comment.

Personally, I don't have an opinion on which VR HMD available today offers the overall best graphics. They all have their pro's and con's.

When Robo Recall was officially announced for the Quest, I wondered if the graphics would be as good as on the Rift and you said Robo Recall was not that cutting edge, so no problem!

Don't make me find the actual thread...

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

I've seen a few articles on the end of the Rift-S but none of them actually provide any source. So I did a little looking and found official word: https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-quest-2-the-next-generation-of-all-in-one-vr-gaming/
We’re going to focus on standalone VR headsets moving forward. We’ll no
longer pursue PC-only hardware, with sales of Rift S ending in 2021.
That said, the Rift Platform isn’t going anywhere. In fact, we've seen
significant growth in PC VR via Oculus Link, and the Rift Platform will
continue to grow while offering high-end PC VR experiences like Lone Echo II and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond well into the future.
The important thing there is that it's PC-only hardware that's ending, not PC-only software.
If the comfort of the Quest 2 is better than Quest 1 and they can improve Link quality, then it has the potential of being a better PC headset than the Rift-S.

The CV1 is still better overall.

Thanks for finding that.

CV1 certainly has some better features, like true IPD adjustment with individual screens, and excellent onboard audio, but I'm really looking forward to the resolution bump of Quest 2. Once Link upgrades to 90 Hz and maximized Quest 2 resolution, I'm taking down my sensors and retiring my CV1.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I wonder whether those Bionik Mantis PSVR headphones will easily mount onto the Quest 2 Elite strap? That would help with the audio issue, and they look like they're made for the Quest 2.
gg0ojnmjfa40.jpg
Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap Review A Great Add-On

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo