Oculus discontinues the best VR option soon

cybernettr
Superstar

Facebook To Discontinue Oculus Rift S Beginning 2021

https://vrscout.com/news/facebook-end-sales-of-oculus-rift-s/
34 REPLIES 34

cybernettr
Superstar
Ironically, I've been having serious problems with my PC lately, and I haven't been able to enjoy VR for literally weeks now. So I can understand FB's desire to phase out the complexity of tethered VR. I'll just be glad if I can get this thing working again so I can continue to enjoy my purchased content. I do think it will be a while though before mobile VR can equal the graphics quality of PC VR, if ever. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:
I never said that Rift "was not" the best VR option graphics-wise, so not sure why you're dropping my name in the comment.

Personally, I don't have an opinion on which VR HMD available today offers the overall best graphics. They all have their pro's and con's.

When Robo Recall was officially announced for the Quest, I wondered if the graphics would be as good as on the Rift and you said Robo Recall was not that cutting edge, so no problem!

Don't make me find the actual thread...

Even if I did say that, which I'm doubting you are quoting verbatim, then that would just be a comment about Robo Recall, not about the Rift-S. Your claim was that I somehow criticized the Rift-S for not being the "best VR option graphics-wise."

That aside, I own the Rift CV1, not the Rift-S. And based on reviews, I would say that the Index and Reverb are likely better graphic options. But that is just hearsay since I haven't done the comparison myself.

My Rift CV1 is certainly better, visually, than the GO and Quest 1.

HaselHoof
Adventurer

Personally, with the armchair Oculus Experts in this forum not withstanding, I think FB and Oculus are going to see a mass exodus of users (read:  consumers'  $$) with all of these less-than-stellar changes.

It has already begun.  I put my CV-1 on Craigslist for a ridiculously low price and I haven't got one bite on it in 3 weeks.  I live in Las Vegas.  Last year, when I was looking for one for a family member, every one I called on had already been sold - and that was in a much smaller market in Oregon.  I see the Rift-S units staying on CL a long time too and they are already severely discounted from just a few months ago.  Same with the Quests.

The reason people arent buying the CV-1 and Rift -S is because the quest 2 is so much better why buy old tech tying you to a PC .

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
RIP Rift S - something I could never use due to its limited IPD. It joins the same fate as Rift CV1 that I still use.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

Anonymous
Not applicable
OP: Shits on others' elitist behaviour.
Also OP: States his opinion as an undeniable fact.

Hypocrisy at its finest...

Aside from that, if we're talking about graphics only, the Rift-S never was the best. The resolution bump from CV1 was shy (it wasn't even as much as the Vive Pro, and far from HP Reverb), and the color contrast of its LCD screen was awful. If you wanted to get rid of SDE, the Reverb was the way to go ; if you wanted high color fidelity, the CV1 was the place to stay. The Rist-S screen was not stellar, and that is a fact.

I don't think the Rift-S was a bad headset per se. But its main advantage against the Rift (and the others) was its Insight tracking, not its screen.

Also, the Quest 2 screen has a much bigger resolution than the Rift-S. From what I hear, graphics compression through Link isn't that bad, so the Quest 2 with Link is better than the Rift-S (in terms of visuals).

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

I've seen a few articles on the end of the Rift-S but none of them actually provide any source. So I did a little looking and found official word: https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-quest-2-the-next-generation-of-all-in-one-vr-gaming/
We’re going to focus on standalone VR headsets moving forward. We’ll no
longer pursue PC-only hardware, with sales of Rift S ending in 2021.
That said, the Rift Platform isn’t going anywhere. In fact, we've seen
significant growth in PC VR via Oculus Link, and the Rift Platform will
continue to grow while offering high-end PC VR experiences like Lone Echo II and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond well into the future.
The important thing there is that it's PC-only hardware that's ending, not PC-only software.
If the comfort of the Quest 2 is better than Quest 1 and they can improve Link quality, then it has the potential of being a better PC headset than the Rift-S.

The CV1 is still better overall.

What I been saying for a long time xD there is a BIG difference between software and hardware. All future headsets will be moving towards Quest like devices. Like it or not - its the straight up truth because it opens the doors for a lot of things going forward. On the flip side - I am worried they will not continue to focus on both side of the field - in terms of - a head set for the massive and a headset for the higher end users. This price grounding is not a good thing long term for us users. We still need two options going forward one to show case what can come to future VR and one for the low price. That high-end doesnt even have to that much either (less than 800) and they can basically keep using the same shell/hardware found in the base. Just up the specs and add some type of new technology. This can mean more cameras, higher res screens, multi switch input cable (USB or DP), Eye Tracking, etc. With out this - we will have to wait every time playing the chicken and egg problem to push out new technology and that isn't good either. Imagin having eye tracking ability for a year - yet - only 1 or 2 games. You need that leap over and long with that - lead where the industry is going to with it. We had basiclly the same headset for 2 generations now even if little more specs - its a bit boring. Quest1, Quest2, and Rift S has been the same headset sadly. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

OP: Shits on others' elitist behaviour.
Also OP: States his opinion as an undeniable fact.

Hypocrisy at its finest...

Aside from that, if we're talking about graphics only, the Rift-S never was the best. The resolution bump from CV1 was shy (it wasn't even as much as the Vive Pro, and far from HP Reverb), and the color contrast of its LCD screen was awful. If you wanted to get rid of SDE, the Reverb was the way to go ; if you wanted high color fidelity, the CV1 was the place to stay. The Rist-S screen was not stellar, and that is a fact.

I don't think the Rift-S was a bad headset per se. But its main advantage against the Rift (and the others) was its Insight tracking, not its screen.

Also, the Quest 2 screen has a much bigger resolution than the Rift-S. From what I hear, graphics compression through Link isn't that bad, so the Quest 2 with Link is better than the Rift-S (in terms of visuals).

No graphics compression through Link is not bad at all, I was surprised how good it was after testing with some of my more played games. If they improve upon that it should be quite good. Especially if they get it running acceptably at 90 Hz. It will be interesting to see how much effort they put into Link versus the stand alone VR experience.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

nalex66 said:

I wonder whether those Bionik Mantis PSVR headphones will easily mount onto the Quest 2 Elite strap? That would help with the audio issue, and they look like they're made for the Quest 2.
gg0ojnmjfa40.jpg
Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap Review A Great Add-On

I have already seen a Youtuber reviewer with these on his Quest 2 and they look like they fit fine and match in color and style nicely. I may get a pair. I have the Quest headphones on my Quest and the are convenient but not comfortable. Plus there is only one jack on the Quest 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyiF1EGMJWU&ab_channel=TyrielWood-VRTech

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
While I praise Valve and HP for bringing us two fantastic VR headsets and keeping PC -VR alive. Isn't it about time they also injected some cash into a few PC -VR games, if Facebook is mainly focused on Mobile VR now? Devs are going to be trying to make quick money with Mobile VR, so what happens to PC -VR now? Half Life Alyx made a lot of money for  PC -VR, so why doesn't this convince some more devs to go AAA PC -VR? 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

While I praise Valve and HP for bringing us two fantastic VR headsets and keeping PC -VR alive. Isn't it about time they also injected some cash into a few PC -VR games, if Facebook is mainly focused on Mobile VR now? Devs are going to be trying to make quick money with Mobile VR, so what happens to PC -VR now? Half Life Alyx made a lot of money for  PC -VR, so why doesn't this convince some more devs to go AAA PC -VR? 

Completely agree with this. Now that Facebook is focusing more Mobile VR, the whole entire PCVR ecosystem feels so... barren. Perhaps that is hyperbolic, but it certainly feels like we need a new PCVR "software is king" player to step up to the plate.