cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 17.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 5/15/2020: Hey everyone - thanks again for your patience during this rollout. The team just pushed out an update to those of you who have already received the v17 software update. This new build should resolve the blue screen crashes that some of you have reported. We have also pushed this same update to the PTC channel to those of you who have hit this issue on PTC but have not yet received the live version. Please do continue to let us know if you experience any problems with this new update using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software and by contacting customer support. Thank you!

---

Social Reporting

• We’ve made usability improvements to the in-VR reporting flow

Oculus Link

• You can now control audio and mic settings for Oculus Link directly from your Quest.
  • During setup, the Oculus desktop app will now let you know if your USB cable meets the standards required to power Link.
  • General stability improvements

Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where some Rift users would join a party and couldn’t be heard by other party members. 
153 REPLIES 153

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone try to use there charging cable as a link cable now? Seen on a discord someone stating his pc is on 17 but his quest is still on 16 and his charging
 cable cable(the one supplied with the quest) is working as a link...kinda odd as im on pc 17 and 16 for the quest..dont work for me...also that would be kinda stupid for them to do that. no one would buy their 120 buck cable...lol..and i dont see any release notes...

It's $79 direct from Oculus unless you buy one from some gouger on Amazon.  It's also fiber and 16' which allows you to actually have a play area that isn't right in front of your computer sitting down. It also works consistently - something the cheap aftermarket solutions don't do, especially anything longer than 10'. It's also been mentioned that they are (or were at least) working on a mode that allows full use of 3.1 bandwidth. I would still think the official cable is a decent purchase. I have one now and it works so much better than the 10' cheap aftermarket version I have does. https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961

rmednitzer
Honored Guest
I updated the app and got a portcls.sys error (Windows 10).
Even a clean install fails at the driver install and crashes with a 
portcls.sys error. (Yes, even in safe mode + networking)

Deactivating the "Oculus Virtual Audio Device" in the device manager fixes the portcls problem.
If the installer even gets that far...

Please fix the "Oculus Virtual Audio Device" driver, or give us at least the option to skip the install for Rift and Rift S users.

My Rift S worked just fine before the update and now I can't even use it!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

I've read that the charging cable will work, but that the quality will be lower than using USB3 with an official Link cable. This feature will help people with a lower-end setup or lower quality cable, but USB3 and a high quality cable will still provide the best experience.

Also, I doubt that a usb 2.0 Link cable will supply enough power to maintain your Quest battery charge level.  Most usb 2.0 only supply 500ma.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Netheri
Rising Star
"Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where some Rift users would join a party and couldn’t be heard by other party members."

...for those who decide to join Facebook to Oculus. :wink: For the rest: no apparent improvements and/or fixes for Rifts. 
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Hey folks - Jumping in with a couple clarifications. First, I chatted with the team about USB 2 connections for Link. They said that USB 3 is still the recommended connection type for the best Oculus Link experience. That said, we wanted to give people flexibility to try Link with a USB 2 connection if they have it, as some USB 2 connections can support the Link experience. Hopefully that clears up a little confusion there.

I also want to address this:

xsd13ddkvhar.pngWhat bothers me the most is that the only person to my knowledge that can get on an respond to us in some capacity is the same person who creates these posts here, if you check their profile, they get on here every day, so it's safe to say he/she reads and decides to ignore all of what we say, no comment about it, no reassuring, no this, no that, nothing. They decided to purposely ignore us, leave us in the dark, not say a damn thing and just post update after update, completely ignoring anything and everything we say here over and over.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: if you are experiencing issues with your PC hardware or software, please open a support ticket and use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the desktop software to submit a bug report - do not just rely on a forum comment. Both of these methods, the Provide Feedback option in particular, help ensure the issue you're experiencing is being reviewed by our engineering team. These methods are also more helpful for us in determining how widespread particular reported bug is and if the root cause of a reported issue is the same across the various user reports (logs are hugely helpful here, which again are better served as being included in a support ticket or bug report). I do monitor the forums and relay feedback when applicable, but support tickets and bug reports are much more reliable and actionable. Do not rely on the assumption that others will submit a ticket or bug report for a given issue you are facing. Hardware varies from user to user and the more info about a situation we can get via the proper channels (support tickets and Help Center > Provide Feedback), the better. I'll continue to share updates as I have them. Thanks.

J_Shepz
Protege
Thanks for clarifying, ShowbizDonkey.
I tried out the cable that comes with Quest on my PC (it has a USB-C 3.1 port) and it worked well, it looks a tiny bit fuzzier compared to a cheap 3m USB-A to USB-C 3.1 cable that I have but much prefer the angled connector on the included cable so going to swap to using it from now on when I'm not using Virtual Desktop

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
Awesome, great to know that there's attention being placed here which is just as important as the other methods of feedback. Now since you answered that and we know you can relay information back to the dev team when "applicable", relay this information to them from the Oculus consumers, the ones buying the product, supporting it and using it day in and day out. Why is it impossible for us the users to downgrade our software to whatever version we desire if we feel that particular one (v1.43!!) is the one that works the best? clearly there is no disadvantage whatsoever for one user being on v1.43 and playing a game with someone on the latest and frankly not the greatest version.

Another HUGE thing to note in your response is the extreme lack of any rift/rift s talk, considering how many users in this very thread as well as the V17 PTC have been saying over and over how it gives them BSoD, crashes, etc etc. You chatted with the team about USB2.0 and so on, stuff for the quest as per-usual for the past few months. Did you chat with them about the Rift and Rift S? I'm assuming you did right? So what did they tell you about those 2 others HMDs? Is the Rift S getting stability improvements? Is it getting new features like the Quest is every month? Why can't we downgrade? So many questions left unanswered, many that many others and I have expressed about in the user feedback tool for months and to what? More Oculus Quest and Social features on a PC software release meant primarily for Rift and Rift S users. 

I'd love and be surprised if you could answer these questions, but my hopes aren't too high.

kojack
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

nalex66 said:

I've read that the charging cable will work, but that the quality will be lower than using USB3 with an official Link cable. This feature will help people with a lower-end setup or lower quality cable, but USB3 and a high quality cable will still provide the best experience.

Also, I doubt that a usb 2.0 Link cable will supply enough power to maintain your Quest battery charge level.  Most usb 2.0 only supply 500ma.

I used a 3A charging cable. 🙂
My Quest was at 0% (battery warning icon only), but I was able to turn it on and charge while playing Pistol Whip.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

MysticNinjaSoul
Explorer
Thank you for once again taking a dump on your PC user base and instead trying to shove the quest down our throats. You have once again proven you do not care at all about your PC RIFT-S user base at all. I am already looking to sell my rift-s because with every update, some new problem arises and I can't use it. I have to spend hours just to try and fix it, just isn't worth it. I should have kept the damn cv1, cause at least it worked.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

TomCgcmfc said:

nalex66 said:

I used a 3A charging cable. 🙂
My Quest was at 0% (battery warning icon only), but I was able to turn it on and charge while playing Pistol Whip.

So that was using the usb 2.0 charge cable (which I guess is 3 amp rated because that's what the supplied charger puts out) that came with your quest, using it as a link cable, and connected to a usb 2.0 port?  Many alternative usb 3.0 link cables were not able to charge at the same time.

Btw, pretty hard on batteries to let them get down to 0%, let alone charging/using at that point.  I aim to charge mine up before they get lower than 20-25% and do not try to use them again with an external power source until they are at least recharged to 75-80%.  Otherwise you are going to heat those poor little guy up a lot and lessen their life imho.  I've been in the Lipo/Li-ion game for +20 years and I've learnt how to take care of them, usually found out the hard/expensive way, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers