cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 19.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
These features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of 7/20/20

Oculus Link

You can now select from 4 graphics profile settings to optimize your experience with Link. The new settings options are:

• Automatic: When this option is selected, the optimal setting for your configuration will be chosen for you.
  • Performance: This setting is recommended if your configuration is lower spec.
  • Balance: This setting is recommended for mid tier spec configurations.
  • Quality: This setting is recommended for higher spec configurations.

Learn more about the optimal settings for your configuration.

Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that caused tracking to not work as intended for some Rift users.
  • Fixed an bug with Link that caused some AMD GPUs to show a black screen when launching apps. 
84 REPLIES 84

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
I didn't prove anything lol Oculus stated they're no supporting Win 7 anymore and that's what they did. Nice try lol

bitzie
Expert Protege

bitzie said:

I know this really sucks to hear, but here goes:

Valve cares about their customers, Oculus does not.

Should Oculus provide proper support for all of their products? Yes, absolutely, but the reality of the situation simply is that they do not. Repeatedly saying that they should and comparing them to companies that do will solve nothing. The only way to potentially change things is quite simple: hit them in the only way we have at our disposal as consumers; hit them in the only way that Oculus cares about us: our purchasing dollar. Don't buy from Oculus/Facebook. It won't matter much because the Quest 2 is going to sell ridiculous numbers, but it's something more productive to do than to wistfully daydream about what Oculus would/should do if they were a company that actually cared about it's customers.

It all really sucks because hardware-wise, I love the Rift S. For the price it was a great headset when it came out. It's just too bad that Oculus really doesn't seem to care about it at all anymore.

What I don't understand is that if you've given up on Oculus, why are you even here? You've already made your point that their support is terrible.

I own a Rift S. I don't really have much desire to buy an Index and can't even pre-order a G2 because I live in Canada and HP hates us. I stick around in the somewhat imbecilic hope that Oculus might actually remember they still sell the Rift S and actually start supporting it properly.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
So this is the entire issue regarding forced updates - it did work and they took it away.  Still kept the money though !
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

HiThere_
Superstar
There's nothing pointing towards this being a Windows 7 issue to begin with, specially with CV1-S being hit too.

jab
Rising Star
Windows 7 was very much supported when people bought their CV1..

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

jab said:

Windows XP was supported when win7 came out as well, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

jab
Rising Star
Point being that with Oculus forcing updates, users have no way they can stay on older software that officially supported Win7. Meaning that Oculus is forcing users to install windows 10, even if Windows 7 was supported when they purchased their CV1.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

TomCgcmfc said:

jab said:

Windows XP was supported when win7 came out as well, lol!

True, but it did not stop windows 7 working when windows 8 and 10 came out.  You were not forced to update.  Unlike Oculus software that is effectively taking your product use off you if you don't.  Now sure you can say ahh well you won't get any new games if you don't update - and fair enough but at least you can continue to play what you have, and download games that do work (like off steam).

Not forcing users to upgrade only affects those who don't upgrade - so I don't understand the negativity towards having a choice.  
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17

HiThere_
Superstar
So again, what I said was : Nobody said this was a Windows 7 issue.

And with Rift-S users also being impacted, I'm guessing most impacted users are running Windows 10.

Also build 20 didn't fix the issue (on GTX 970), and was only meant to fix it on AMD GPUs anyway.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

HiThere_ said:

So again, what I said was : Nobody said this was a Windows 7 issue.

And with Rift-S users also being impacted, I'm guessing most impacted users are running Windows 10.

Also build 20 didn't fix the issue (on GTX 970), and was only meant to fix it on AMD GPUs anyway.

So it might not be for you - but it still stands for others.