Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 23.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
These features and enhancements will become available starting on 11/13/2020

Oculus Link
  • Oculus Link is now out of beta! In addition to the beta exit, we’ve added the following features that let you crank up the visuals by fine-tuning the following graphics preferences:
    • You can now set your refresh rate to 72hz/80hz/90hz.
      • Please note that USB-3 is required for 80hz and 90hz support.
    • You can now adjust your render resolution for even better visuals.
    • Learn more about these new features in our Graphics Preferences article. 
73 REPLIES 73

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

I have the option to select 1.0, 1.1, 1.3 and 1.5 as Render Resolution in the Oculus PC app (Quest 1).

What if I want 1.2 or 1.4?

The sweet spot for me would be 1.2 but I can't select it and changing encoding resolution in ODT doesn't work anymore.

Maybe do what I do and just select Auto (= 1.0).  Then use the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) to change this (Super Sampling) to anything you want, Globally, and using game profiles to finetune it for each app.  I guess you could also use the Oculus Debug tool (ODT) but you'd have to do this every session.  OTT is very useful and a lot more convenient imho.  If you have not used it before have a look at its thread in this forum's General section. 

Problem is render resolution setting in the app is more than just supersampling.

It changes the baseline resolution of the headset.

Take Assetto Corsa for example. If I set the Oculus app to 1.0 and set pixel density (supersampling) in game to 1.6, it still doesn't look anywhere near as sharp as 1.3 in the Oculus app and pixel density 1.0 in game.

I have tried several ways/combinations of doing this with Assetto Corsa (original version without SS options) and found that selecting 1.0x in Oculus app and then using OTT (which I startup before Oculus desktop app) Link settings to set render res = 3648, bitrate=500, and set my AC game profile to 1.7x SS gives me the best result with my Q1.  This gives me a stable 72fps and looks fantastic!  Pretty well the same as I get with my Rift cv1 using 2.0x SS.

You need to be careful with apps that have their own SS values.  These often over ride your other setting.  Trover is an example of doing this and I found I was best to just up those values to where I could still maintain a steady 72fps.  Also, if you use SteamVR you need to be careful because % pixel density (steamvr's SS) generally become additive to what you've used in your Oculus SS settings.  Again, you may find some Steam games that have internal SS settings that can over ride all this.

Pretty impossible to be prescriptive as far as all these settings go.  You just need to experiment and see what works best for you imho.  Have fun and cheers mate.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I still have no sound in the Vimeo videos using the Oculus Video app  :'( 

Either Vimeo changed to sound codec, or Oculus failed to support the correct codec (or something similar). 

I got perfect sound in the 360 degrees videos in the Oculus Video app - so it's not the app in itself missing sounds. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem is render resolution setting in the app is more than just supersampling.
It changes the baseline resolution of the headset.

Take Assetto Corsa for example. If I set the Oculus app to 1.0 and set pixel density (supersampling) in game to 1.6, it still doesn't look anywhere near as sharp as 1.3 in the Oculus app and pixel density 1.0 in game.

This is not the case... with both devices types.
Quest1: you are right, render resolution changes base resolution of the headset (native supersampling on device)
Quest2: no, render resolution don't changes base resolution of the headset (supersampling or such on PC)
The quality enhancements with Quest1 are much more effective, than with the Quest2 😞
(discussed that in the v24 PTC Thread - there is a reason for this, we think)

Digikid1
Consultant
Must have missed this one.  Will update today,.