cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of April 19th, 2021.

Oculus Air Link

• Oculus Air Link allows you to discover and pair your Oculus Quest 2 headset to your Oculus-ready PC over a secure Wi-Fi network.
  • You can opt in to this experimental feature from the Experimental Features section of Settings. Follow the instructions on our support site to set up Oculus Air Link.
  • Note: Air Link is part of v28 but it requires that both your headset and PC be running v28 software. That means we’ll be unlocking Air Link once both Quest and PC v28 releases are rolled out, which will happen soon - but you won’t see Air Link just yet, so stay tuned.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an issue with the USB Cable Benchmarking tool for Oculus Link which would result in lower than expected speeds to be reported.
29 Comments
Jazz8680
Honored Guest

@ShowbizDonkey Hi there! This release sounds extremely interesting! I was wondering if you're able to disclose a possible release window for Air Link's activation. You mention that Air Link won't be activated till the v28 release for Quest and PC are both rolled out, how long does that process usually take? Will it be a matter of days, weeks, a month, or is it not able to be disclosed? Thanks!

chert1024VR
Protege

Already got both v28 updates to the Quest 2 and the PC app. My Oculus Link USB bandwidth is back to 2.6 Gbps. which is good news. 

Looking forward to trying out the Oculus Air Link feature when it is finally released hopefully in the very near future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Works good... USB-Test climbs up to 2.4Gbps (should be 2.7/2.9Gbps w/original Link Cable).
No Air Link (as expected).

huliqan
Adventurer

Why again 72Hz only ?

What with 80 & 90 Hz ???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Everything works fine... even with 72/80/90Hz at any resolution (static res in headset though).

And Air Link is available now... but ist is VERY experimental.

(refer Quest/Quest2 thread)

One question to the Desktop-App: 

Settings for the bitrate only in Home, not in the Desktop-App? Really?

My fault, sorry 😉

chert1024VR
Protege

Air Link already appears on my Quest 2 but still not on the Beta section of my PC app which is already V.28. What particular V.28 version of the PC app does Air Link appear on? My version of the PC app is 28.0.0.222.469

chert1024VR
Protege

Solved my problem by re-installing the Oculus PC app. Already tried Oculus Air Link and it's working well for me.

Thank you Oculus for this feature.

LtJamesWatts
Expert Protege

Good that you keep updating and keep in touch with the community but I'm not gonna go inside some kind of test fase.
Just make sure that when you release it that it actually works.
Take your time if needed just no half work.

This is with all due respect.

ShocksVR
Superstar

PTC v29 release notes ?

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

I got PTC 29.0.0.48.528 now. Any v28 problems aren't solved. White stripe problem, screen edge problem, encode resolution bug, distortion curvature bug... Link is still unuseable!!! 😡

EDIT: Got 29.0.0.54.528. No difference.

stateofstatic
Protege

FYI Build 28 breaks the Rift S...persistent random black screens and driver crashes.  I manually rolled back to v25 (most recent version I had available to test with) and blocked the Oculus app from auto updating in firewall list and it fixed the issue, no more black screens after testing for 8 hours...as soon as I unblock in Firewall and it auto updates to v28 again (or the PTC update) the black screen/driver crash issue returns.  Someone in QC needs to get yelled at.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Edit - I fixed the issue by updating my nvidia drivers and disabling the Link settings in Oculus Tray Tools (OTT). Thanks to TomC for the troubleshooting help.

I finally for around to trying v28, PTC v29 on wired Link (busy and playing Quest titles).  I too experience the same horizontal visual artifact in the lower 1/4 of the visual field. Below this line, there's also a different tint to the image.  The lower visual field has a very noticeable difference to the rest of the image.  I have never experienced this artifact when using previous versions of the Oculus PC app.

I recently purchased some PCVR games to play via Link, so discovering this bug is pretty irritating. I hope it is addressed soon.

I also submitted an Oculus feedback form via the PC app.

Using the Quest 2, RTX 3080.

Thanks

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@ShocksVR  v28 (you should not try v29ptc yet imho) all working well with my Q2 with either my official link cable and Air Link.  With Air Link there seems to be a few changes that may effect wired Link as well.  Try going into ODT and make sure everything is default, esp. encoding and bitrate (both need to be = 0).  Also go into you Oculus Desktop app device/q2 Graphics quality and leave the slider on default.  With your strong gpu you should be able to select 90Hz refresh (then just accept the default rendering.

If you are using OTT go into the Link panel and disable OTT setting.  After saving and restarting you can play around with global SS and ASW, and finetune these later using game profiles. 

Also make sure your nvidia drivers and win10 are up to date.  Sorry, all I can think of.  With so many systems out there it's pretty hard to second guess exactly what is causing your problems.

If you are still having problems I think you are best to contact Oculus Support and attach your log files.  This may give them a bit more info than the app feedback form.  Good luck mate and cheers.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Thanks Tom for your advice.

I do use OTT and went ahead and disabled the Link settings, along with updating my GPU drivers (they were 1 step, 1 month out of date); I also opted to go back to v28.  After doing this, that resolved the horizontal line+tint issue I was having with wired Link.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure which thing (OTT vs drivers) fixed the issue for me.

I also did some preliminary tweaking in ODT (encode 300, width 4000) and the issues didn't come back.  I will continue to mess around with the settings and report back (mainly with OTT to see if I can reproduce the issue).

Thanks again Tom.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@ShocksVR  Glad to hear it seems to be working ok now.  I'm finding it still best to keep OTT's Link panel options all disabled and just let the Oculus Desktop app device/Q2/Graphics settings at 90Hz and the slider at automatic.  Then just use OTT SS and ASW globally.  With my rtx3090 I'm using Global SS = 1.5 (your 3080 probably can use 1.4-1.5) and ASW = off (on is only useful for weaker pc's imho).  I also leave auto gpu scaling = off (mainly because it does not seem to do anything anyway, lol!).  Then I just adjust SS and ASW in OTT game profiles to finetune apps that can take a little more, or need a little less SS.  I leave asw = off except for complex flight sims, where I use asw = 45fps, fixed (fixed aws=off). 

In general, I'm finding that playing around with OTT SS gives me a better bang for my buck (visually and performance wise) than playing around with either OTT Link settings, or Oculus debug tool (ODT) encoding/bitrates.  Leaving them all default at 0 seems to be let them be where they want to be.

Like everything, if it's working ok it may be best to quit mucking around with a lot of these.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol!   Thanks for letting me know how you made out mate.  Cheers.

ShocksVR
Superstar

PTC v30 notes ?

I see the General tab now shows OpenXR status.  The Oculus Debug Tool also has some extra features - dual NVENC ?

thanks !

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Oh, I got 30.0.0.18.502 now.

White stripe problem is solved! Wait... not solved!!! 😂

Encode resolution bug is still there. Worthless update... 🤣

ShocksVR
Superstar

The Link problem could be on your end. 

Go back and read my previous replies in this thread.  I had the visual line artifact in the lower 1/4 of my visual field, I was able to fix it by resetting my Link settings.

And what's the Encode Resolution bug ?

tanubon
Heroic Explorer
ShocksVR
Superstar

Ya I had a very similar issue with v28, v29 except my visual artifact had a red tint instead of being white/bleached out.

Here's the image posted in the thread you linked: large (749×999) (oculusvr.com)

I was able to fix it by disabling Link settings in OTT, and setting ODT settings to default. For some reason, after the reset I can now change Link values back to custom settings via ODT (OTT Link still disabled) and the visual artifacts haven't returned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got the Desktop-App v30 in the release-channel yesterday... no words on changes / release-notes.
Also not on the official site: Oculus - Release-Notes - latest ist v29 back to may.

Works with firmware v29 on Quest 2... Air Link has to be activated in beta-section as before.

One new option (also in beta-section of the app) : OpenXR - runtime.
(wich should reset OpenXR back to Oculus if that changed in multi HMD environments)

ShocksVR
Superstar

PTC v31 release notes ?

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

I noticed "dynamic bitrate offset" was added in ODT. I don't know other changes. 😛

I don't understand why they don't post release notes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got an update of the Oculus-App from 30.0.0.36.502 to 31.1.0.67.507.

As "always" no word on what's changed... nor a communty thread für the freshly released firmware v31.

Oculus, what's up to you?
No community work anymore?

Sku77s
Protege

Recent changes to airplay and dynamic bitrate seems to have bricked some Rift S's into a loading loop. A loop that can be recreated by setting the bitrate to something unusable via oculus debug tool.

Simply turning on Airplay ended my three dot loading loop and brought me to a failed dash with passthrough.

I informed support of this issue with the recent updates and was told to not raise unneeded tickets.

I don't want to say that this bitrate change was done to purposefully destroy some Rift S's that had camera sensors that were known to be out of warranty. I however will say that they sure don't want any help fixing what they broke.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

v35 now... where are release notes?

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Why has there not been ANY posted updates on Oculus PC software.

PTC is on v35 and NO patch notes.

I've got a sinking feeling they are trying to kill pcvr.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

v37 now!!!