cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about required USB ports

foominsoup
Level 3

I recently bought a second hand Rift CV1 and despite the fact the HDMI cable connector is broken (getting a replacement cable today) I don't understand why it states on the box that 3 USB 3.0 ports plus one USB 2.0 port are required? There's only one USB plug on the HMD and then one on the sensor. Where are all these other USB connectors I'm supposed to need? Are they in case I need additional sensors, or am I missing something really obvious here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

You must have at least two sensors if you have Touch controllers. (If you only have one sensor and no Touch controllers, you’re going to have to try to find a secondhand set of CV1 controllers and another sensor, or else you will be limited in what you can play.) The USB2 port would be for an optional third sensor.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

You must have at least two sensors if you have Touch controllers. (If you only have one sensor and no Touch controllers, you’re going to have to try to find a secondhand set of CV1 controllers and another sensor, or else you will be limited in what you can play.) The USB2 port would be for an optional third sensor.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

View solution in original post

Ah I see. The headset I bought only came with one sensor and an Xbox controller, rather than the touch controllers. I'm aware that I'll be limited with the games I can play but to be honest there were only really a couple I had my eyes on and they don't need the controllers as it's pretty much sitting down. Thanks for the answer!

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

That's the original 2016 kit from before the Touch controllers released (That's what I have too). Later kits included two sensors and the Touch controllers rather than the xbox controller.

If you're only interested in flight/driving sims, that's all you really need, but I'd still recommend trying to find a secondhand Touch controllers kit if you can--very few VR games work without tracked controllers these days, and having hands in VR takes it to a whole other level.