Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 1.36 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Home:
  • Sound Objects: Fill your Home with sound by placing new sound objects. Select from an initial pool of nature, sci-fi and other sounds to add effects and enhance your space. Sound Objects can be found in the audio section of your inventory.
  • Gateways: Create an easy link between your own Home and other Homes with a Gateway. Place anywhere in your Home to expand your space and connect different themed rooms or public Homes. Find Gateways in the Special Items section of your inventory.
  • Performance Improvements: Miscellaneous graphics updates for improved performance with medium and low settings across devices.

If you encounter any issues with this PTC software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
65 REPLIES 65

davejohnblack
Protege

Jeez! Another Home focused update? What about ASW 2.0? What about in-game performance improvements (according to this list, they didn't even try to improve it)?
Don't get me wrong, sound objects and gateways seem very cool, and I like Home, but it's not the center of the VR world...

You are assuming that the same people who work on home also work on the runtime, I would be surprised if that was mainly the case...

Asw 2 does seem to be takeing quite a while though... But i guess they are a lot more carful with runtime changes and have to stay ahead of graphics driver and application bugs.

kzintzi
Trustee
 @Zenbane, just added a portal to your home1.

very cool :smile:
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

kzintzi
Trustee

Jeez! Another Home focused update? What about ASW 2.0? What about in-game performance improvements (according to this list, they didn't even try to improve it)?
Don't get me wrong, sound objects and gateways seem very cool, and I like Home, but it's not the center of the VR world...

You are assuming that the same people who work on home also work on the runtime, I would be surprised if that was mainly the case...

Asw 2 does seem to be takeing quite a while though... But i guess they are a lot more carful with runtime changes and have to stay ahead of graphics driver and application bugs.

Yeah, have to agree with this... most dev teams are focussed on a specific project, and don’t cross to other things (too hard to keep changing headspace).

I’d much prefer them to take their time with the underlying drivers and system than rush stuff

LZoltowski
Champion

kzintzi said:

God help us all.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kzintzi said:

God help us all.

Just saw the Portal, it's awesome!

801i2b7voxml.jpg

I cordially invite anyone to make a Portal to my Home. Fair warning, this is my most common greeting:

bl9x2keun8ks.jpg

Thmoas
Rising Star

This update did something to my dashboard. The screen is still at the right level but the board that you select items from such as Explore, settings, home, social etc is so high in the air now I can not reach it. I restarted everything yet it is still the same. Worked fine before this update.

You can grab it and move it down?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Thmoas said:

This update did something to my dashboard. The screen is still at the right level but the board that you select items from such as Explore, settings, home, social etc is so high in the air now I can not reach it. I restarted everything yet it is still the same. Worked fine before this update.

You can grab it and move it down?

I was able to grab mine and pull it down no problem.  I seem to recall I needed to stand up in order to reach it though, lol!  Mine now seems to start up at the right height.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't assume anything, mate. It's a fact that this update only brought Home stuff, and it's a fact that other updates actually brought other stuff. That's why I'm disappointed. But hey, I'll just wait for next month update, hopefully there will be more than Home this time.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
In all fairness to Oculus I think there are some minor performance improvements with 1.36 PTC.  My %cpu and %gpu usage in home is down a few % and the transition time between the Store and Home is a little faster.

If you want to see further improvements go to your home settings/graphics and turn off the improved panel rendering option but leave AA on because it does make text look a lot clearer.  Also, go to the Preferences (left controller/menu) and go to graphics.  Turn off the top auto option then turn down quality to low.  By doing those changes I lowered my %cpu and %gpu another +5% each and I cannot really notice much difference in visual quality.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kzintzi
Trustee

Zenbane said:

kzintzi said:

God help us all.

Just saw the Portal, it's awesome!

801i2b7voxml.jpg

I cordially invite anyone to make a Portal to my Home. Fair warning, this is my most common greeting:

bl9x2keun8ks.jpg

now all we need is more than 4 homes, and the ability to name them other than "Home#1/2/3/4".. I'm goingto sacrifice one of my homes to make it into a portal world or something; don't suppose anyone has a link to the doco on creating your own homes?