cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 1.38 Release Rolling Out Now

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
The latest Rift system software v1.38 is beginning to roll out, and we wanted to take a moment to share an update on our development progress. This release contains a number of fixes for issues that some Rift S users reported, most notably a reduction in black screen occurrences and improvements to audio quality. Over the course of the 1.38 PTC, we released 3 additional stability updates to the software. These updates were directly informed by the feedback we received from the community members who opted into the PTC. Thank you so much for all your help, and please continue to utilize the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. Please note that 1.38 does not resolve all reported Rift S issues as some are still being investigated and debugged, including the white / static flashing issue and sporadic instances of tracking loss. Our team greatly appreciates your patience while we work on these outstanding issues. We will continue to share updates with the community as we have them. Thank you!

Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
258 REPLIES 258

stch7299
Explorer

Richooal said:

I still haven't got 1.38 but I'm thinking it might be best to disconnect it until they've sorted this mess out.

Turnoff automatic updates in settings

Babodildil
Explorer
to DEV team.
please check if some of param to launch services make failure to start oculus rift cv1/S properly.
my cv1 was not launched well after the recent update v1.38.
when i saw the service log in 'AppData/Local/Oculus', something weird string was found
'18/06 02:54:50.624 {DEBUG}   [Kernel:Default] Failed to open file: C:\Users\諛뺢린??AppData\Local\Oculus/NetServer.cfg'

as you can see, utf8/unicode account name in the pathname was broken.
several broken pathnames were also found in the log.
after i changed my account and user path in english, now it starts to work well.
please correct handling those utf8/unicode string in this release v1.38 because it was fine in v1.37

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

stch7299 said:

Richooal said:

I still haven't got 1.38 but I'm thinking it might be best to disconnect it until they've sorted this mess out.

Sorry but that just automates updates for Oculus Store apps/games, not final version release rollouts like 1.38
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege

stch7299 said:

Richooal said:

This only applies to game updates not firmware updates

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
OK, I received the 1.38 rollout earlier today.  All seems fine so far.  I've tried a few Oculus Store games, SteamVR games, and independent (x plane 11 standalone) without any problems.  Performance seems ~ the same.

BTW, when I notice that there is a version update downloading I take my goggles off my head and use the Desktop/library/updates to monitor downloading progress.  I think (but don't really know for sure) that taking the headset off your head frees up a few resources.  Plus it makes it easier to monitor updating and firmware progress. 

Man, that 10-10 portion download takes a while.  Seems to hang at 51% for a minute or two, then finally finishes.

I'm on Win10 1903 and nvidia 430.86.  So far so good, touch wood, lol!

edit;  this is with a Rift cv1.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Aerandir
Honored Guest
Update 1.38 has made my Rift S unusable.  I now get headset tracking stuttering whenever I move my head, happens in Oculus Home, games, and even in passthrough mode.  Here's a video someone else posted that shows the same issue I'm having:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWGIzR_8ylE&feature=youtu.be

And here's the thread I posted on reddit.  https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/c1dyca/update_138_causes_my_rift_s_headset_tracking_to/

Before 1.38 the only issues I was having is the annoying static flashes that everyone is getting, and sometimes when I plug in the headset I have to unplug it and restart the Oculus app (sometimes several times) until I see that the passthrough mode is working while in Oculus Home.  I was able to live with those issues although I really do hope the static flash thing gets fixed soon because it's so annoying and it even happens when you're watching movies in Bigscreen so it's not game related.  

Oculus support has contacted me and I shared my log files with them but i'm losing my patience.  I'm going to check tomorrow if I can still exchange it at Best Buy but I'm not sure if that would change anything because it'd probably force me to get the 1.38 update once I plug the new headset in.  I miss my Rift S and Beat Saver 😞

DTH
Heroic Explorer

Just updated and no problems took a few minutes.  I have not tried my x plane yet but the other apps (games) I did try worked fine with my Rift S I did not take off my headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, still no word from developers or support staff?

gpcustom
Explorer
Hey dear OCULUS,..What the hell did you do today?...Just sat through one of your updates for audio(everything working just fine!) and now the audio is turned off on the right ear and I don't have access to my apps library. Is there a crew in Bangladesh that I should be talking to because I sure feel stupid having paid this much for this little!...How about some input and a tiny bit of action on your part!

Richooal
Consultant
Okay, so feeling encouraged by @TomCgcmfc 's post.

Yesterday I updated Win10 to 1903 (I agree with @MAC_MAN86 - why the blurry intro background?)
This morning 1.38.0.256587 invaded my Rift CV1. My Nvidia driver is still 416.94.
So far all is good, makes me a little warm and fuzzy inside knowing I didn't jump in on the "S".

My VR regulars work as expected and, as usual, I tested it on an old VR app which hasn't seen regular updates for a while to make sure it isn't being left behind.
I'm pleased to say that Mountain Goat Mountain still works well.

Round one of the "S" updates has been kind to my CV1. Fingers crossed that it stays this way.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.