cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift CV1 Frame drops with latest nVidia drivers (451+)

gamefan101
Adventurer
I'm experiencing severe frame drops with the later nVidia drivers (post 451.xx).
Latest driver tested is 457.09.  App "Motion-to-Photon Latency" flashes "N/A" regularly as tho something is interfering on a random basis resulting in dropped frames every few seconds.
If I roll back to v446.14 (or any pre-451.xx driver), the problem immediately goes away.
My system is  Ryzen 3950x 2080ti x570 32GB so i shouldn't have any performance issues.
Temporary solution is not to update, but some apps are now insisting on later drivers.
Latest PTC has no effect.

Anyone else having issues with similar setup to mine?
9 REPLIES 9

Richooal
Consultant
No app should be "insisting" on new drivers. It should only be a recommendation. It's your system, and it wasn't built to run a single app. Dump the app that insists on updating. I'm still on 432.00 and won't change it unless I have problems.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Richooal said:

No app should be "insisting" on new drivers. It should only be a recommendation. It's your system, and it wasn't built to run a single app. Dump the app that insists on updating. I'm still on 432.00 and won't change it unless I have problems.

I've stayed on nvidia 442.59 for a while now (5-6 months) because I seem to get the best VR performance with it.  I recently bought Star Wars Squadron on Steam and after installing it I got the message that I needed to update my nvidia driver to 451.67 or later.  Otherwise, the game would not start up.  That's the only time I've had this happen and is one of the reasons why I uninstalled it and got a full refund.  Some developers are pretty silly, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

gamefan101
Adventurer

TomCgcmfc said:

Richooal said:

I've stayed on nvidia 442.59 for a while now (5-6 months) because I seem to get the best VR performance with it.  I recently bought Star Wars Squadron on Steam and after installing it I got the message that I needed to update my nvidia driver to 451.67 or later.  Otherwise, the game would not start up.  That's the only time I've had this happen and is one of the reasons why I uninstalled it and got a full refund.  Some developers are pretty silly, lol!

Same happened to me. I had to fight, but got my steam refund as well.
I have a support ticket open with nVidia and Oculus .  I may have no choice but to update eventually one day and I want to be sure this is fixed before Oculus forgets what a CV1 is ;-).

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I was also forced to upgrade drivers due to Squadrons, which nearly caused me to refund the game. 

But so far I've had no problems - using GTX 1080 and CV1. No slowdowns at all with CV1. Even played Agos last night with ss 2.0 and 8xMSAA - and perfornance was great (but the gameplay wasn't, although that's a different story).

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
nvidia 451.67 resulted in a loss of +5fps with X Plane 11 and Assetto Corsa.  Not too bad with everything else.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

gamefan101
Adventurer

RuneSR2 said:

I was also forced to upgrade drivers due to Squadrons, which nearly caused me to refund the game. 

But so far I've had no problems - using GTX 1080 and CV1. No slowdowns at all with CV1. Even played Agos last night with ss 2.0 and 8xMSAA - and perfornance was great (but the gameplay wasn't, although that's a different story).

Yeah, later drivers seem to work OK on my Intel PC, but I have issues on my AMD based PC. I'm hoping that the Oculus drivers just need some tweaking for the AMD CPU's and chipsets that have come out fairly recently.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Using 456.55. Got worried about Tom's results, and just ran the Heaven benchmark. Got the highest result ever - well, usually I get 120 fps -. but have once registered 122 fps. I just got 123.4 fps. Thus highest result I ever got in 3 years (same overclocking all the way), lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Using 456.55. Got worried about Tom's results, and just ran the Heaven benchmark. Got the highest result ever - well, usually I get 120 fps -. but have once registered 122 fps. I just got 123.4 fps. Thus highest result I ever got in 3 years (same overclocking all the way), lol. 

I'm not a big fan of benchmark programs.  I prefer to see what performance I actually get with my high demand apps like X Plane 11.50r3 Vulkan.  I generally always try the latest nvidia drivers (including up to 457.09 now).  I use DDU to clean uninstall before updating.  So far I have yet to see any nvidia driver show any performance improvements past 442.59 with my gtx1080ti (stock clocks).  With my Vive Pro the SteamVR performance graphs clearly show this, as do my in-game fps counters, and of course visuals through my headsets.

I'm not saying that you cannot get good results with later drivers (and some games require these as do the new series 3000 gpu's) but I doubt that you will see any actual VR performance improvements with any gtx10 series gpu's imho.  There is a pretty good tester over at Reddit that I follow.  He tests all drivers out using his gtx1070 gpu and he has come to the same conclusions.  I think his reviews are worth a read.  You can find his reviews here;

https://www.reddit.com/r/allbenchmarks/collection/784253fd-6f65-446d-a9f2-89d0304f2037/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

RuneSR2 said:

I'm not a big fan of benchmark programs.  I prefer to see what performance I actually get with my high demand apps like X Plane 11.50r3 Vulkan.  I generally always try the latest nvidia drivers (including up to 457.09 now).  I use DDU to clean uninstall before updating.  So far I have yet to see any nvidia driver show any performance improvements past 442.59 with my gtx1080ti (stock clocks).  With my Vive Pro the SteamVR performance graphs clearly show this, as do my in-game fps counters, and of course visuals through my headsets.

I'm not saying that you cannot get good results with later drivers (and some games require these as do the new series 3000 gpu's) but I doubt that you will see any actual VR performance improvements with any gtx10 series gpu's imho.  There is a pretty good tester over at Reddit that I follow.  He tests all drivers out using his gtx1070 gpu and he has come to the same conclusions.  I think his reviews are worth a read.  You can find his reviews here;

https://www.reddit.com/r/allbenchmarks/collection/784253fd-6f65-446d-a9f2-89d0304f2037/

Of course I only tested Heaven which is a pancake benchmark. I doubt Nvidia cares much for GTX anymore, my point was only that I have not observed problems with 456.55 so far (no stuttering or sudden frame drops), but unlike you I have not run a lot of VR benchmarks - thus relying only on my naked eye for what it's worth. All rigs are different, and I have not updated Win10 - using 1909.