cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Home 2.0 - Enhancement Requests

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The purpose of this thread is to compile a list of any suggestions for additional enhancements and other "nice to have" things for the new Home 2.0 Environment. If anyone is having any issues with Home 2.0, please use a separate thread to report problems and grievances.
Granted there may be some enhancement requests that walk a fine line, such as the need to update Home 2.0 in such a way that it has little to no impact on the overall performance of the Rift when in VR. As of now we know that the Oculus Dev's are aware, and it is on their roadmap to engage in continuous improvement the Home 2.0 runtime optimization and overall experience.

That being said, I'd like to begin with my own Enhancement request:
In addition to owning the Oculus Rift, I also have GO. One of my favorite features in GO comes from browsing the store - which is an experience that takes the user in to the various environments of the VR Title you are browsing. So for example, if you click on Sea Life Relax then your 360 environment takes you under water and surrounded by whales. If you click on the Lone Echo 2 trailer, you end up inside the space station next to Liv.
Not all titles do this, but many of them have it implemented. It is similar to what Netflix does... how it starts to play a trailer when you hover over a film. Currently, the Oculus Store has a stationary video interface that you can watch while standing. But it would be amazing if developers could provide either a 360 image, 360 video, or even a full VR Trailer for anything in the store.
Imagine if Lone Echo had this, and when you clicked the "preview" button, you are suddenly Jack floating above the rings of Saturn. Not that this would be a playable demo, just a cut-scene that puts the user inside the VR world.
That feature alone would provide hours of fun browsing the 1,000+ (and growing) title list.
31 REPLIES 31

CrashFu
Consultant
This has been on my wishlist since before Home 2.0 was even in beta, but I still want to see gifting functions.  And because this is VR, we should be able to go visit our friends in their Homes (or invite them to ours) and hand them a virtual gift box "in-person" that they can unwrap  (Or leave / hide the package somewhere in their home for them to find next time they log on?  Anonymous gifting possible through that method, too) ;  think how much fun that could make birthdays and christmas, etc.!

Functioning Music Players would also be neat, like, ones that can play MP3s or link to popular internet radio sites without having to use Dash and a browser window.  Specifically, I demand one that looks like a record-player  (artificial pops / scratches optional)

Oh, and how about the option to make fully-interior Home rooms?  The current open-faced ones are cool, and the exterior scenes are very pretty to look at, but it also might be fun to make more of a house or somesuch?  Ideally, the dimensions would be fully customizable, and there'd be an easy way to make walls  (instead of having to pretend like it's Minecraft. Stacking dozens of cubes around is kind of a pain, and eats up a lot of rendering resources.)

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's all up to the developers I think but nobody has taken advantage of it for some reason for the Rift. It's been available right from the start too. All a developer needs to do is create a cubemap to have this feature enabled on their game's Store page unless I'm remembering things wrong.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

That's all up to the developers I think but nobody has taken advantage of it for some reason for the Rift. It's been available right from the start too. All a developer needs to do is create a cubemap to have this feature enabled on their game's Store page unless I'm remembering things wrong.

Oh interesting. Yeah I'd love to see if this is a feature that does exist, and it's the Dev's not taking full advantage (yet).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please allow hiding of ads/promotions window (and other windows) just as it is allowed in Steam VR.

In the worst case, allow pinning those windows somewhere else in a room, out of sight.  Thanks!

Can you not just close Dash?
Then all you have is the Home environment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

Can you not just close Dash?
Then all you have is the Home environment.

If I close it, it is back on next time Home starts, it does not persist.  Or am I missing something?

No, would need to close it each time, at least as it is currently.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:

Oh interesting. Yeah I'd love to see if this is a feature that does exist, and it's the Dev's not taking full advantage (yet).

Providing a cubemap panorama for the store is a mobile only feature, it's not available for the rift. I've got both rift and mobile unreleased apps in the console, only the mobile ones have the field present (as of a few minutes ago).

According to the developer console, adding a cube map image to a title in the store can take up to 2 weeks to process, which seems a bit much for a 12288 x 2048 image.

You can get the guidelines that describe all of the store assets here: https://static.oculus.com/documents/oculus-store-art-guidelines.pdf

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Digikid1
Consultant
Allow audio streaming along with video streaming.  When I had a friend over we tried to see a video and he couldn't hear the audio of the video I was playing.

LZoltowski
Champion
  • Resizing of objects for me, this was promised in the blog posts many months ago, but never happened. It's such a hit and miss at the moment with imported object sizing with no clear guidelines.
  • Proper shadowing of imported objects, at the moment they don't interact with the lighting like the standard objects
  • Resizeable TV screen (so I can have a wall-sized TV with Netflix running while I tinker.
  • More interactive objects
  • An object sharing marketplace, let people create and sell sculpts and their own work for others to place in their homes
  • Possible achievements for a game (at the moment it's a guessing game) ... show like in steam where you get to see what possible achievements are possible.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Digikid1 said:

Allow audio streaming along with video streaming.  When I had a friend over we tried to see a video and he couldn't hear the audio of the video I was playing.

1. I genuinely would like a Built-in Media Player in DASH so it is always there without having to go into the Desktop.
  2. A DISABLE "WARNING YOUR SYSTEM DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM SPEC" in VR. 
    (this is not the Health/Safety Warning and does have a Close Button only for Desktop)
  3. For Home2 I'd like a DISABLE SWITCH for Home2.