cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Release 1.31 Rolling Out Now (Live)

cybereality
Grand Champion
Today at Oculus Connect, we shared some exciting updates about the future of Rift. Core 2.0 is out of beta — and now known as the new Rift Platform. Soon, everyone will be using Home and Dash. We've put a ton of work into improving performance and look and feel, and can't wait to hear what you think. Release notes for 1.31 can be found below — and be sure to visit the Rift blog for more info.
  • Dash
    • We're launching Experiments, a proving ground for experimental features aren't ready for official release. You can toggle individual experiments via the Settings tab within Dash. Some of the first experimental features available for testing:
      • Oculus Desktop Window Pullout
      • Wristwatch
      • Window Controls
    • Various design improvements to increase usability.
    • Various performance improvements and fixes, including an issue with Library sorting
  • Home:
    • New themed item collections: Spooky, Pirate, and Retro-Modern.
    • Customer Developer Items
      • Developers can now give out special Home objects and decor as gameplay rewards and achievements (live with initial partners, opening to all developers soon).
    • User generated content
      • Home now supports the playback of skinned animations for user generated content
      • Fixed an issue where user generated content would sometimes not show up in Home
    • We've revamped the UI to improve usability.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
780 REPLIES 780

TaintFist
Heroic Explorer

vr_marco said:

vr_marco said:

I'm asking the team about what happened with the admin trick.

It would be awesome if you would make that to work again. Thanks for an update.

And please in the future avoid pushing updates unexpectedly to everyone without any options whatsoever to postpone/opt-out. None does that, not Apple, not Microsoft, none. And for a million of good reasons.

Apparently the beta has been in the works a long time, but same as you I was also caught unaware.  A combination of not really looking around in Home all that much (I mean I really only used it to launch games) and the fact that I never took much care to notice where that little beta opt-in switch was in settings hehe.  

I actually only found out about the beta and the update because on the 8th I was walking a guy through the admin trick on Reddit.  I wasn't home at the time and he told me he thought he had done everything correctly, but had black screen.  Then someone else commented that the black screen happens if you are using core 2.0.  I replied I would check when I got home, and when I did I went through the settings more carefully and is when it clicked and I told the guy he must be on the beta.  He confirmed it, and then I went to launch Skyrim, and had black screen hehe.  You couldn't time better...timing :).  In the time I was helping this guy figure out why he couldn't do the admin trick, my Oculus had updated hehe.  I know the majority of people knew about all this coming, but yeah, I was blindsided.  After initially setting up my Rift way back, I've never really gone through the settings again after (except when my audio died and I had to go through and switch to windows preferred audio).

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This push was not unexpected. It was announced publicly at OC5, which was Livestreamed to millions, and the recordings were published to YouTube.

Home 2.0 has been in Beta for over a year. That knowledge has been widespread throughout that entire time. Usually when someone is in Beta, it eventually gets pushed as a final version. That's the point of Beta.

TaintFist
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

MAC_MAN86 said:
1. MODS - PLEASE MAKE THIS POST A STICKY FIX TO THE UPDATE HATE!

nah, there are better ways to solve technical issues than a simple hack. Plus, Home 2.0 is not a real problem, so there is no real issue. This is not about solving problems, this is about catering to voices who feel "entitled" to having a luxury experience treated as a crisis.  this is about fixing a feature many people were using prior to the update, that was taken away without any good reason, that allowed the prevention of launch of a bunch of software that did not need to be running in the background.

2. OCULUS OWES THAT HACKER A PAY CHEQUE!

hmm, that's like saying that you owe every intelligent person who read your last angry post a paycheck for attempting to cause distress lol

Back to NO HOME2 but I did prefer HOME CLASSIC so devs are useless if it is not brought back!

The Oculus and Facebook dev's are very useful. Some of the best titles and leading VR platform were built by them. In fact, one could argue that if the dev's failed to release an updated platform then they would in fact be useless. So, you are getting it backwards.

Back to BLACK BACKGROUND yay!

Now that your problem is resolved, will you continue to complain on the forum? Just curious.

I fixed it for you.  Mostly because it is very offensive to label us, "entitled," just because we are asking about an issue that you personally don't have a problem with.  Ironically, this makes YOU entitled.  Sorry for our posts about legitimate issues we have with the update disturbing your world where you don't have the same issue.  If you don't like reading about the issues, the exit door to this thread is over there.

TaintFist
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

This push was not unexpected. It was announced publicly at OC5, which was Livestreamed to millions, and the recordings were published to YouTube.

Home 2.0 has been in Beta for over a year. That knowledge has been widespread throughout that entire time. Usually when someone is in Beta, it eventually gets pushed as a final version. That's the point of Beta.

I don't watch OC.  I don't patrol YouTube.  I use my Rift to play games, I'm not a software designer.  

I was aware of the fact there was a beta.  That doesn't mean I ever opted into it.  It eventually got pushed, I realised a feature I was using in the old version no longer worked.  I posted about the issue on the forum.  That's the point of a Forum.

Everyone's own interests are subjective.  You had an interest in Home 2.0 and found information about it, so to you it was well known.  I couldn't care less about Home 2.0, I use Home to launch games, period.  Now, ASW 2.0, that I am well aware of and looking forward to.  That is well known to me, so I have gone out of my way to find information about it.  You cannot say something was well known or easy to find out about, just because you took interest in it.  Everyone is different.

vr_marco
Protege

MAC_MAN86 said:

Download OculusHomeless works great for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8uf1sm/oculushomeless_use_dash_without_home_20/

1. MODS - PLEASE MAKE THIS POST A STICKY FIX TO THE UPDATE HATE!
2. OCULUS OWES THAT HACKER A PAY CHEQUE!

Back to NO HOME2 but I did prefer HOME CLASSIC so devs are useless if it is not brought back!
Back to BLACK BACKGROUND yay!

Hacks aka workarounds are good as temporary emergency fixes, but they tend to break unexpectedly. We need a supported and professional way to 1. Disable Home if someone doesn't want to use it (this is like the Run as Admin hack that the latest upgrade "broke") I am not daring to ask for a kiosk mode, but definitely there should be a low-footprint / efficiency mode. Right now if home is disabled and any VR experience launched, all you get in the Rift is a black screen. 2. Decide whether any future update should be installed without the users being informed and given the option to postpone/opt-out (which is what all other platforms in the world do).

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

TaintFist said:
 Mostly because it is very offensive to label us, "entitled," just because we are asking about an issue that you personally don't have a problem with.  Ironically, this makes YOU entitled.

That's not very sound logic since I'm simply illustrating the process of going from a Beta Platform to a Production Platform. That process is expected and logical, whereas the request to go backwards is not. And those who feel that they should get special treatment in order to opt out of a basic and reasonable process fall more in line with being "entitled." That's what "entitled" entails afterall: special treatment.
I also see a lot of raging, such as insulting oculus dev's by calling them useless and threatening to sell their Rift. Those are not people "asking about an issue," but in fact making emotional responses to what does appear to be a sense of entitlement.

If you don't like reading about the issues, the exit door to this thread is over there.

I'm fine reading about real issues and commenting on them. I'm also fine reading about entitlement and responding to that as well. If you don't like reading my responses, there's a water slide on the left.

I don't watch OC.  I don't patrol YouTube.  I use my Rift to play games, I'm not a software designer. 

Yet you take to a forum to complain after-the-fact. Not a very reasonable approach to owning technology. You should at least attempt to check in once a month to see what the future entails for a technological product you own. OC5 and the YouTube Stream have been available for about 3 weeks now. If someone isn't going to use the Internet to stay up-to-date on products they own and maintain, then why take to the Internet to complain after a change is made? Be proactive, not reactive.

I posted about the issue on the forum.  That's the point of a Forum.

Yet the Forum exists on the Internet, which is the same information medium that warned you this was all coming. Before using a Forum to complain, use the Internet that the Forum exists on to obtain useful information.

I don't think such a thing is unreasonable.

LZoltowski
Champion
Folks can I remind that if you quote someone, do not change their comments and say "fixed it for you" thanks.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

WiLLuMPJuH
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

Yet the Forum exists on the Internet, which is the same information medium that warned you this was all coming. Before using a Forum to complain, use the Internet that the Forum exists on to obtain useful information.

No. 

Not everything is anounced. For instance, from my update list in the library : 
- Received update to 1.31 10 days ago.

Oculus software, Version 1.31.0
  • Dash
  • We're launching Experiments, a proving ground for experimental features aren't ready for official release. You can toggle individual experiments via the Settings tab within Dash. Some of the first experimental features available for testing:
  • Wristwatch
  • Window Controls
  • Various performance improvements and fixes, including an issue with Library sorting
  • Home:
  • Developers can now give out special Home objects and decor as gameplay rewards and achievements (live with initial partners, opening to all developers soon).
  • User generated content
  • Home now supports the playback of skinned animations for user generated content
  • Fixed an issue where user generated content would sometimes not show up in Home

- Received update to revert to 1.30.1 9 days ago. No information in 'Whats new'.

- Received update back to 1.31 18 hours ago. 
  • Dash
  • Wristwatch
  • Window Controls
  • Home:
  • User generated content

Apparantly the devs can revert without obligatory anouncements. And it shows they can revert back to older versions immediately if needed.

I can appreciate you are trying to improve civility, but there' s no need for blind apologetics.

The dev team broke general functionality. They can restore without everyone being misdirected to personal log files or filing tickets.

THAT is , in my opinion, what this forum is for. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Not everything is anounced.

I never said "everything is announced." Re-read what you quoted to get the context correct.
I am referring to the fact that Home 2.0 was coming out of Beta and going live. This was definitely announced. A Forum is for open discussion; and open discussion is most productive when individuals take proactive steps to knowledge sharing. Open Discussion is least productive when people avoid information until something unexpected happens, and then go online just to complain.

WiLLuMPJuH
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

Not everything is anounced.

Open Discussion is least productive when people avoid information until something unexpected happens, and then go online just to complain. 

What more information do the devs need besides what is already mentioned here ? I'm not avoiding information, but am not willing to stand personally in line all the time waiting to be adressed for something that is generally an issue.