cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Release 1.31 Rolling Out Now (Live)

cybereality
Level 15
Today at Oculus Connect, we shared some exciting updates about the future of Rift. Core 2.0 is out of beta — and now known as the new Rift Platform. Soon, everyone will be using Home and Dash. We've put a ton of work into improving performance and look and feel, and can't wait to hear what you think. Release notes for 1.31 can be found below — and be sure to visit the Rift blog for more info.
  • Dash
    • We're launching Experiments, a proving ground for experimental features aren't ready for official release. You can toggle individual experiments via the Settings tab within Dash. Some of the first experimental features available for testing:
      • Oculus Desktop Window Pullout
      • Wristwatch
      • Window Controls
    • Various design improvements to increase usability.
    • Various performance improvements and fixes, including an issue with Library sorting
  • Home:
    • New themed item collections: Spooky, Pirate, and Retro-Modern.
    • Customer Developer Items
      • Developers can now give out special Home objects and decor as gameplay rewards and achievements (live with initial partners, opening to all developers soon).
    • User generated content
      • Home now supports the playback of skinned animations for user generated content
      • Fixed an issue where user generated content would sometimes not show up in Home
    • We've revamped the UI to improve usability.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
780 REPLIES 780

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Basically, dash is the equivalent of explorer.exe in windows (no not internet explorer) .. explorer.exe in windows is the taskbar, the file windows and desktop icons. Dash is the equivalent of it in VR.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

TaintFist
Level 7

TaintFist said:

TaintFist said:

@MAC_MAN86 
I haven't tried Homeless yet, waiting to see what Cybereality finds out from the devs before I start modifying files myself.  Does it just prevent the launch of Home2, or does it also prevent Dash launching as well?  I am going to test again tonight how much memory it takes up, so far I've seen it range from 470 to 550Mb.

Just FYI, trying to disable dash would be like disabling actual windows in windows, it's the UI and underlying system.

I've been playing Skyrim VR for months without it 🙂  Only issue is when touch controller batteries die, screen goes black until batteries are changed.

Sorry, no I meant dash is the UI now, I wasn't talking about the previous version. If you were to disable dash, there would be no UI to quit an app, recenter, change your volume or settings while in VR. 

Well, I think we may have stumbled backwards accidentally into the reason why the admin trick no longer works then. 🙂 The admin trick disables Dash as well as home, so that's probably why there is blackscreen now when it is used.  Well then, that certainly changes things, don't know why that info wasn't posted earlier on, at least for me, this ends my whole issue.  There will be no way to reimplement the admin trick if Dash now contains the main operating processes for the Rift.
I guess I have to tie my hopes to a performance mode being implemented then.  It is sad too, because moves like this only restrict the use of the Rift, they don't expand it.  I meant to comment on what you said a few days ago about Ready Player One, because I too would love to see that come to reality.  But sadly, the difference of the fantasy of that book/movie is that it is a singular platform where you can access all games.  Hehehe that will NEVER happen in reality, sadly, because if a game isn't exclusive to a console or pc, then it only supports this peripheral or that one.  Before we can all enjoy a Ready Player One - like world, all the exclusive deal wheeling and dealing has to stop, and I don't see that happening, it's actually getting worse not better.

But 🙂 we can dare to hope and dream all the same anyway hehe.  Thanks LZ, it's a good thing this came up, because I didn't realise the shift of processes to Dash, and now I know.

Only other issue I know of now with 2.0 is (at least in outside games) it has caused me to freeze twice now, although it isn't a full ctd or permafreeze, but when I come back to the game, if I was pulling a trigger when it froze, that trigger is stuck on in game.  Reloading a save doesn't fix it, have to exit right to desktop and close everything and restart to fix it.  I'm putting a ticket in about it tonight.

OddButAwesome
Level 3
Weird problem caused by the forced use of Dash is my Left Touch trigger registers as both Left and Right on the game I am developing. Was working fine 2 days ago. Then the forced update came (I loved the simplicity of the original Home) and buttons mess up. Only tested triggers as thats all my game uses (3 buttons per hand in the end)

Unity, VRTK, Playmaker. Win10, Nvidia 1070. Checked on a few previous builds (up to 1 month ago) and same result. I had initially thought I had broken something in the last few days but no. Only difference in last few days is the Dash. 

Also updated to lastest NVidia drivers. 416.34. This PC is 3 months old never had AMD or other hardware. 

So its not just end users that are jacked over by this forced change but I want to make games for the unit...

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
If you are a developer and put a lot of time and $'s into VR for our Rift ,I feel for you and I hope it does not force you out of the Rift VR market.
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

MaoZeTung
Level 4
we have been talking about this problem for days now and I have been vain of it. a small update would be enough to put the old procedure back and would please both those who used the rift with the administrator trick and others who love the 2.0 version of oculus home. You will see that a solution will be found

Anonymous
Not applicable
@OddButAwesome :
Hey there,
First and foremost, please guys, stop blaming the new update for any issue you're encountering before even trying to troubleshoot it. It doesn't help you, doesn't help anyone else, doesn't solve your issue, and certainly doesn't make any good to this forum. It's just a toxic behaviour, and Toxic is good only in Pokemon.

That being said, I'll try and help you, as a fellow dev ^^.

- First, we have to make sure this is not a problem in Unity. Try launching a VR app with those controllers and see if your Left hand controls both hands in those games as well. If you don't have this issue in other apps, it means the issue doesn't come from the Oculus update and the problem does come from your code. Bear in mind that Unity updates often break some working codes. Rewrite your code about Oculus Touch, from scratch.
- If the problem does occur in every other app, you should try synchronizing the Touch controllers again. In the device tab of the desktop app, you should be able to make your computer forget these controllers and then connect them again (maybe by configuring the Rift again).

Netheri
Level 8

TaintFist said:

TaintFist said:

@MAC_MAN86 
I haven't tried Homeless yet, waiting to see what Cybereality finds out from the devs before I start modifying files myself.  Does it just prevent the launch of Home2, or does it also prevent Dash launching as well?  I am going to test again tonight how much memory it takes up, so far I've seen it range from 470 to 550Mb.

Just FYI, trying to disable dash would be like disabling actual windows in windows, it's the UI and underlying system.

I've been playing Skyrim VR for months without it 🙂  Only issue is when touch controller batteries die, screen goes black until batteries are changed.

Sorry, no I meant dash is the UI now, I wasn't talking about the previous version. If you were to disable dash, there would be no UI to quit an app, recenter, change your volume or settings while in VR. 

But through SteamVR there would be still, i think?

So the Dash is now implemented as a part of core 2.0 so that it can't be separated? 

About the example, it can be said also with windows explorer and it would be even better example. Wouldn't it be stupid, that when you use ANY 3rd party software on Windows, windows explorer would open automatically on top of it everytime, without the any use of it in games, or in 3d modeling etc.? Of course it doesn't do that in the real life and still we have video through 3rd party drivers of Nvidia and AMD, we can use 3rd party input devices with their 3rd party drivers and setting programs, every 3rd party program opens with no opening internet explorer. But only if we WANTED to, we can open the MICROSOFTs programs, on it's OPERATING SYSTEM, as any 3rd party programs. We can also choose, do we use automatic driver updates for 3rd party drivers through windows update or do we want to update them ourself etc. We have quite a lot of OPTIONS on the _operating system_, and we don't HAVE to use M's software other than the operating system itself. 

Well, 
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

OddButAwesome
Level 3
@LuluViBritannia
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I did do some basic trouble shooting (pairing Touch controllers/setting up Rift completely did naught) - my games input manager was getting each buttons up/down state pretty well pre-update. Controllers move & translate in the 3d world as expected pre and post update - it's just the weird trigger thing that is different. The left trigger performs the in game action assigned to both left and right. It's like the left gun trigger fires for both hands. Right trigger does not even register. Its hard to get more simple than a bool - trigger up/down.

In Unity editor testing the HMD works but not in some games (Rec Room is fine, Beat Sabre & Skyrim VR are not - black screen on HMD but visible on Monitor 1). I remember something like this happening many moons ago when I tried the new dash (then beta - March/April?? not sure) but not liking it - I had controller issues then and not connecting the two at the time. Maybe it's Steam vs Oculus purchases... not sure I will have to investigate further.

It is difficult not to blame the update since it was the only thing that (as far as I am aware) changed since in Unity buttons and normal Windows Rift games were working. No other new updates, drivers (NVidia was after the issue came up), SDKs/plug ins all the same etc etc. That being said I am open to the possibility a legit update exposes something else which while 'working' wasn't the best way. But that is of little help.

Thanks again. I would like to have the option to go back to the original Home back regardless. 

vr_marco
Level 4
I believe there is some misunderstanding going on. These are some facts collected simply by looking at Process Explorer and through some tests:
  • Home2 is a separate application and it is started each time the HMD is worn if no other VR application is currently being run.
  • If Home2 is running and the HMD unworn, Home2 keeps running.
  • If Home2 is running and another VR application is launched, Home2 is terminated.
  • When the other VR application is terminated, Home2 is restarted.
  • Dash is a separate piece of software. In fact when running any VR application with Dash support, Dash can be summoned on top of the paused VR application. No Home2 is loaded or running at that time.
  • Blocking OculusClient.exe with the previous "Run as Admin" trick doesn't work anymore. This has the effect of not starting the oculus-platform-runtime.exe and OculusDash.exe, so the HMD remains totally black and cannot receive any input.
  • If OculusClient.exe is running, other VR applications can be started independently (command line, link, etc.) and they will work properly.

Netheri
Level 8
@vr_marco
Wait!? Have you possibly tried that if one manually starts oculus-platform-runtime.exe, screens would be enabled? Or is the oculus-platform-runtime even runnable by itself or is it dependent from oculusclient.exe?
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2