cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Release 1.31 Rolling Out Now (Live)

cybereality
Level 15
Today at Oculus Connect, we shared some exciting updates about the future of Rift. Core 2.0 is out of beta — and now known as the new Rift Platform. Soon, everyone will be using Home and Dash. We've put a ton of work into improving performance and look and feel, and can't wait to hear what you think. Release notes for 1.31 can be found below — and be sure to visit the Rift blog for more info.
  • Dash
    • We're launching Experiments, a proving ground for experimental features aren't ready for official release. You can toggle individual experiments via the Settings tab within Dash. Some of the first experimental features available for testing:
      • Oculus Desktop Window Pullout
      • Wristwatch
      • Window Controls
    • Various design improvements to increase usability.
    • Various performance improvements and fixes, including an issue with Library sorting
  • Home:
    • New themed item collections: Spooky, Pirate, and Retro-Modern.
    • Customer Developer Items
      • Developers can now give out special Home objects and decor as gameplay rewards and achievements (live with initial partners, opening to all developers soon).
    • User generated content
      • Home now supports the playback of skinned animations for user generated content
      • Fixed an issue where user generated content would sometimes not show up in Home
    • We've revamped the UI to improve usability.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
780 REPLIES 780

Netheri
Level 8
To answer to myself: 

I loaded SteamVR, then ran OculusDash.exe with admin rights, then oculus-platform-runtime.exe (also with admin rights) and voila, screens enabled in SteamVR with oculusclient.exe blocked from starting with admin rights (admin trick). So, there is NO obstacle to not add option for non-mandatory oculusclient.exe start! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Oculus!

NOTE: Start the OculusDash.exe and oculus-platform-runtime.exe with right mouse click and choose "run as admin", do not set them to admin rights through compatibility options, or the hmd won't launch when used Oculus Home 2.

Now, if someone is great making startscipts, it would be great if that someone made (.bat is it?) one to launch those to exe's with admin rights at the same time. 😄 Name for it would be like "ibeatthe3rdpartyscreenlock.bat" or something. 😄

Also, spread the word.

Edit: With the quick and valuable help from DOS-wiz TaintFist heres some love:

Step1:
Make a new text document
write the following into the text document
-------------------------------------------------
@echo off

cd "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-platform-runtime"
start oculus-platform-runtime.exe

cd "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-dash\bin"
start OculusDash.exe

exit
-------------------------------------------------
save the text file as .bat,
change "save as type" to "all files" when you save it,
done

Step2:

Make shortcut of the .bat file i.e. on your desktop and on this shortcuts preferences (right click), on shortcut tab, under the additional preferences button there's "run this as admin", mark it and "OK". 

Now you have this admin righted batch to run, after you start SteamVR and screens should enable. It's just one double click and one "ok" click less to do but still, lot quicker to run still. 🙂
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
@OddButAwesome: No problem mate ^^.
Ah, for the black screens issue, I'm pretty sure it's because of the drivers. Nvidia drivers often gave me black screen (I would say  I had to revert back to a previous version 1 out of 5 times this year).
Anyway, try and revert back to 398 Nvidia drivers, ok?

For your triggers issue: have you tried reconnecting the Touch controllers?
Also, I'd like to make sure I understand your issue: when pressing the left trigger, it activates the action for both triggers, and when pressing the right trigger, it does nothing? But that issue occurs only in Unity, right? In the other (working) apps, do the triggers work properly?
If the issue occurs only in Unity, we can be pretty sure it comes from the code. Again, even if you think the code is right, write it from scratch (I know it can be annoying, but sometimes, tabula rasa is the best option ^^').
Or at least write a basic script to use the triggers (like : "when LTrigger pressed, log write Left and when RTrigger pressed, log write Right").

EDIT: Ok, I wrote down the troubleshooting script for you ^^.
- You have the LocalAvatar sample scene, right? Open it in your project (or in a new Unity project, whatever).
- Download this .rar file and extract it, it contains a small script to test the triggers.
- Put the script in your project and attach it to the LocalAvatar object in the LocalAvatar scene.
- During the test, press the triggers. In the console log it will display what trigger you are pressing ("Left/Right trigger" for index triggers, "Left/Right hand triggers" for grips/hand triggers).

This will help us make sure that the triggers respond accordingly. If it tells you you pressed the right trigger when you only press the Left one, then we could assume there is something wrong.

Marc-G
Level 4
mo5a29q623wg.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Netheri: Sorry to ruin the party, but your method doesn't change anything... You just launch manually what is launched automatically by default.

OddButAwesome
Level 3
@LuluViBritannia 

The logs showed that the right trigger was in fact being pressed.

Thank you for clearing that up. Looks like I will have to relook at my setup.

Strange that 2 of my projects had the same Left trigger affecting right problem right after the update when everything was working prior - but then again I wrote them both so...lol.  ::blush:

Thank you so much for your time and the trouble to write the script. ::smiley:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nah, don't worry, it only took 10 minutes (including 7 to launch MonoDevelop because I don't know why but it takes so long xD). I'm glad the problem is solved!
The thing is, Unity has two ways of using the Touch buttons:
- by default, it uses a sort of symmetric control. For example "PrimaryIndexTrigger" is actually both the index triggers by default, so even if you press only the Left trigger, it will trigger the Right one as well.
- if you want to use it in an assymmetric way (that is: only one of those triggers), you have to specify what controller you use ("OVRInput.Controller.LTouch" for the left controller).
Maybe that was the issue?

vr_marco
Level 4

Marc-G said:

mo5a29q623wg.jpg

Oculus Home (Home2) does not run while you are running other VR applications. However it may stay running (paused) if you start the OculusClient, put on your headset, take it off and then run other non-VR applications while Oculus Client is still open.

Even if Home2 does not run, the Oculus Server, Launcher, Oculus Client, Dash and Oculus-platform-runtime are all executing while you run other VR applications.

If you close the Oculus Client, everything else expect the Oculus Server (and the Launcher) closes, but at that point you cannot run anymore other external VR applications.

TaintFist
Level 7

vr_marco said:

Marc-G said:

mo5a29q623wg.jpg

Oculus Home (Home2) does not run while you are running other VR applications. However it may stay running (paused) if you start the OculusClient, put on your headset, take it off and then run other non-VR applications while Oculus Client is still open.

Even if Home2 does not run, the Oculus Server, Launcher, Oculus Client, Dash and Oculus-platform-runtime are all executing while you run other VR applications.

If you close the Oculus Client, everything else expect the Oculus Server (and the Launcher) closes, but at that point you cannot run anymore other external VR applications.

This is true.  Evidently, all the processes that give function to the Touch controllers and Rift have been migrated to Dash now.  So, true Home2 closes, but now you have to have Dash running or the Rift will black screen, which is 500+/- Mb of ram space you have to make room for, even if you already have another platform launching the game (ie Steam).  Unfortunately due to this change, there is no real reason to even try running without Home open, there is nothing gained.  The old version, the Rift and Touch controllers functioned outside of Dash, so the admin trick could bypass running the majority of the software if you were using Rift outside of Oculus client.

Marc-G
Level 4
It's still pointless running all that in the background though as proven above and in the past, all I (and others) want is to have the bare minimum Oculus Services running so we can run RAM Heavy Games without the threat of background programs hogging much needed resources.

Thanks to the guys above I better understand why this is happening now, but an alternative "Basic Load" is what is now required from Oculus to prevent background intervention.

TaintFist
Level 7
I'm sure most people here (since it is a VR hardware forum) read Ready Player One (or watched the movie, or both).  I guess this is where the majority of the disappointment comes from with this update.  Don't get me wrong, I've said before, I actually like Home2 there are a ton of upgrades and great changes.  I'm not into decorating a virtual space, I just use it as a launch platform, but it is a major upgrade, and for those that are into decorating a space, it will be very nice. 
My issue does stem more from the RPO dream I guess, and the principle that I bought hardware, I didn't want to buy into yet another way to shrink a market and add another layer of exclusive content segregation, but there we are.  That is my main issue with this update.  It makes things more difficult (not impossible, but a little more difficult) to use the Rift hardware outside of the Oculus software suite.  It takes another step in the direction of exclusives and platform segregation, and away from the VR dreams of people that enjoyed RPO.

I mean, it is still possible to use the Rift outside of Oculus, for example in Steam.  But, where before I had a small amount of memory taken up by Oculus software, now I have over 1Gb.  Yes, I have 16Gb of ram, so is it a huge impact?  No, I can take a few hours and make some changes to the setup of my more memory intense games, and still have no issue.  But, it's a step in a negative direction imho.  Will the next update up the memory usage to 2Gb, 3?  Are we headed to a place where you can no longer use the Rift outside of an officially Oculus endorsed title?

Some reassurance from the devs would be nice, because it appears this update is taking us further away from what we saw in RPO, and if that wasn't the intention behind some of the changes, it would be nice to hear that.  It would be nice to know if this was unintentional, and if the vision of the user parallels the vision of the developer.