cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Tracking Latency

austint30
Protege
This is my second attempt at creating this post as my original post suddenly disappeared after editing it too much it seems.

I got my Rift S about a week ago and I love everything about it except this very irritating display latency. It appears that my head movements are delayed on the screen by a small fraction of a second, but it is just enough that my brain is telling me something is wrong and I start feeling a bit dizzy. And that is very odd because I have very strong VR legs. I can play almost any VR game without feeling motion sick. This latency also makes everything around me look like an earthquake is going on when I move my head or make small quick movements. Additionally, every single footstep that I take causes everything around me to shake violently like an earthquake. Incredibly distracting amount of shaking, and I have the HMD as tight as it can go.

Out of all of the VR headsets I've used for the past 3 years (PSVR and Rift CV1) none of them have had this issue. I still don't know if it is a problem with my Rift S, or if it is my PC. I've even tested it on my brother's gaming PC and the problem still persists.

Is anybody else having a similar issue? I hope my headset is just defective. But if this problem is widespread due to design limitations of the Rift S inside-out tracking system, then I might return Rift S and save up for a Valve Index instead.
14 REPLIES 14

Fred00
Honored Guest
We definitely have the same problem. My best guess is that all Rift S have this issue. For me these "jumps" in the image destroy the immersion. I have also tested my Rift S on different systems, with the same problem, so definitely an issue with the Rift S itself or the software.

carpaso
Honored Guest
What are your pc specs? For me the head tracking is just awesome. Only if I increase the supersampling quite too much I get the same issues like you. 

austint30
Protege
GPU: GTX 1070
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
MOBO: ASUS PRIME X370-A

Fred00
Honored Guest
My specs are:
GPU: GTX 2080 Ti
CPU: i7-4790K
This is hardly a performance issue (and doesn't really feel like it either). It feels like a software issue to be honest.

carpaso
Honored Guest
well.. yes the specs are more than enough. Sounds like its a problem with the rift itself. I would try to send the rift back an get a new one.

rgrlee
Protege
This thing is garbage no matter what system you have and no matter what tweaks you try.  Mine just randomly loses all linear axis head tracking, but rotation never falters.   The hand grips might as well be bricks, they lose tracking constantly.  The more they update the software the more these problems get worse.  I have owned every Oculus product from DK1 on, but I hate to say this may be the last Oculus product I buy.  I'm going to have to go back to my CV1 for now.

carpaso
Honored Guest
Im relatively new to VR. I bought my Rift S on Black Friday and Im really impressed how well the InsideOut and the Controller Tracking works. Everything is pretty fine for me. So the problem is not the Rift S in general. As mentioned it could be a software bug with specific hardware or this rift itself is bugged

Helcion
Expert Protege
Try another USB slot (or better try all of them). Asmedia 3.1 gen 2 ports can cause that.

austint30
Protege
Oculus support is asking me to send back my Rift S and they're going to sent me a replacement. The customer support team checked my logs and said that there is indeed significant lag between the sensor input and the headset. I'll update you all if my problem is fixed when I receive my replacement headset.