cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and External USB

JakAzz425
Explorer

Hello all,  

I have a rift S and have been using it in my downstairs game room.  Well now im looking to relocate just the rift to my upstairs room that has a much larger play space.  Ive purchased the necessary wiring and extensions for the display port to go upstairs but i was wondering if it would be easier to just plug the usb 3.0 into a correctly rated wall outlet instead of another run of usb 3.1 extensions which would need to plug into my pc.  I guess my main question is does the rift s use the usb for anything other than power?

Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Z390 With 9900K / 970 Pro 1tb Boot Drive And WD Black 6tb Data Drive / 64GB Dominator Black / Strix 1080 TI / RMi1000 Watt / Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic / 2 Rad Custom Rigid Loop
2 REPLIES 2

420inPortland
Expert Protege

I am fairly certain it uses the data connection to interface with the Bluetooth and Audio functions of the PC. It might also use them for controller functions. I don't think it is just using the USB for power, but I am not certain by any means. 

Ryzen 7 1800X, Auros X470 Gaming Ultra, Power Color RX 580, 4200Mhz Corsair Hynix 32g, 500g Samsung 970 EVO (OS Drive), 1TB Silicon Power Gen 4 (Game Drive), Custom Water Loop 

MaccaDishDash
Explorer

There has to be a lot of bidirectional communication, eg to keep track of the controllers, head orientation etc and that must be using USB. Why not plug it into a wall socket by your computer, to find out?