Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, same here.  Just the odd flash and controllers without battery covers are not a deal breaker for me so far.  I'll pass on this PTC for now.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

tomalee
Honored Guest

abydosan said:

Update done. I went to Beat Saber the sound is better. Not a HQ Hi-Fi, just a mobile phone speaker fine. After one game I went to play Onward. During the start I got a blackscreen super fast. The loud sounds still make blackscreens.

Yeah this is definitely still an issue. It happens whenever the volume is high and a loud noise occurs. Happens in Pavlov if you throw a flashbang near you, for example.

ShocksVR
Superstar

tomalee said:

abydosan said:

Update done. I went to Beat Saber the sound is better. Not a HQ Hi-Fi, just a mobile phone speaker fine. After one game I went to play Onward. During the start I got a blackscreen super fast. The loud sounds still make blackscreens.

Yeah this is definitely still an issue. It happens whenever the volume is high and a loud noise occurs. Happens in Pavlov if you throw a flashbang near you, for example.

Those might still be STEAM issues.  STEAMVR Beta just released a new beta today with some S fixes, so it might be worth checking out.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not even being prompted for the update? How do I kick it off for the S ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or maybe I already have it? Was this released today? LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable
its deceiving. Sounded like an update, but this was in addition:
If you're using Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues, please try opting into the latest PTC (https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/) build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

Is this the only update?

rickyleung90
Explorer
Sometimes when I adjust the headset while wearing it (for better vision clarity) it would crash and show a black screen. After a while I would be kicked back to the Home. Is this normal? Am I not supposed to touch the headset when using it?

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

@RT2 If you all are worried about your return window then return the S and buy again when the issues are worked out.

Oculus support already stated last week they were looking into the issues and were working on a firmware update (which they released today).  It looks like the firmware still wasn't enough. So perhaps use the "Feedback" option and stay in contact with Oculus Support.

But if you can;t do that then be an adult and refund the S. My S works just fine (love it btw), but if I were having your guy's issues I would have refunded it long ago. . . . 

Exactly my experience.

I am super happy that they got the sound update out so fast and there is definitely an improvement. Is the sound now high end quality? No. Do I expect that from this form factor? No. It is however better balanced and all ranges are distinctable.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
My wonder is if people running GTX are having a different experience than those running RTX?

ErroneousKill
Explorer
Is anybody else having an issue where the colors seem washed out?  It's like if the rgb range was set to limited in Nvidia control panel but I made sure it is set to full on all my display ports