cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift Build 14.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of February 24, 2020.

Oculus Link

• The Quest microphone has been re-enabled for use with Link.
  • A dedicated Oculus Link button has been added to the Oculus Quest menu bar to make jumping into Link quicker and easier. Similarly, a button was added to the Dash belt that allows you to quickly exit Link when using it.
  • Link audio and microphone volume controls have been added to Dash and the Oculus desktop app.
  • Moving forward, Oculus Link no longer requires that the Quest software and the PC software have matching version numbers. However, the two software versions must be within one version of the other. For example, Link will function when the Quest is on software version 14 and the PC is software version 15 or the PC software is version 14 and the Quest software is version 13. It will not work if Quest is on version 13 and PC is on version 15 or vice versa.

Miscellaneous

• Fixed a bug that prevented Oculus Link from working when the resolution had been adjusted with the Oculus Debug Tool.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Oculus Link from launching when the Link cable was disconnected and reconnected after ending a previous Link session.
  • Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
123 REPLIES 123

huliqan
Adventurer

dburne said:
With each update??

Year! I delete 
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\OC_ASSET_FILES
and
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Content
folders and replace file Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe on homeless file
after each update and oculus soft restores deleted files :(((((((((((((((((((((

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
To startup in homeless just go to your pc Oculus desktop app settings/ general and at around the bottom disable the start in oculus home slider.  Next time you startup you will be homeless.  I’ve been using it that way for +2 months and it works great.  Faster startup and fewer pc resources.  If you ever want to see your home you can press the house icon on your dashboard.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RattyUK
Trustee

If V15 PTC doesn't include major fixes for the Rift S, Oculus is done for, ever since V12, people with the CV1 and Rift S have been having major issues with their HMDs, all because these people wanted to experiment merging the quest with PC HMDs, force Facebook down our throats and completely ignore anything and everything people have posted over and over, saying they've fixed or cannot replicate the issue with their stations, this is ridiculous and ever since Carmak moved on from VR, the Quality of software for VR had gone down by a lot, only remains a bunch of complacent and from what it seems, untrained workers who push out broken updates and go radio silent on their community, only focusing on the Oculus Quest.

Shame on you.

Interesting...
  • I have no major issues with my Rift S.
  • I don't seem to be having Facebook Stuffed down my throat
  • In general the quality of updates appear to be well executed
Of course, I may just be the exception >:)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

lensmandave
Superstar

RattyUK said:

If V15 PTC doesn't include major fixes for the Rift S, Oculus is done for, ever since V12, people with the CV1 and Rift S have been having major issues with their HMDs, all because these people wanted to experiment merging the quest with PC HMDs, force Facebook down our throats and completely ignore anything and everything people have posted over and over, saying they've fixed or cannot replicate the issue with their stations, this is ridiculous and ever since Carmak moved on from VR, the Quality of software for VR had gone down by a lot, only remains a bunch of complacent and from what it seems, untrained workers who push out broken updates and go radio silent on their community, only focusing on the Oculus Quest.

Shame on you.

Interesting...

Yep, same for me. I have had no problems since they fixed the 'white static flashes' way way back. 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RattyUK said:

Shame on you.

Interesting...

Same here.
Throughout each version change my Rift S has been working beautifully.
Not to take anything away from those users who are experiencing issues as I am sure it is very frustrating, just to say it may not be quite as widespread as it might seem.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@RattyUK: While I don't have any issues at all with my Rift, we can't deny that the attention of Oculus VR shifted almost 100% towards the Quest and Facebook features. The very last real update we had on PC VR was the introduction of Dash, and that was more than 2 years ago. After that, ALL updates have been about social features (which do require a Facebook account, it's a fact) and Quest features. When it comes to PCVR, improvements were minor, and we got no new features at all.

That said, Link has the potential to be great, so I'm glad that they're focusing on that for now. The problem is we've been hanging on for way too long on the PCVR side. It's retarded that they didn't work on a performance mode that allows to run VR apps with the absolute minimum.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@RattyUK: While I don't have any issues at all with my Rift, we can't deny that the attention of Oculus VR shifted almost 100% towards the Quest and Facebook features. The very last real update we had on PC VR was the introduction of Dash, and that was more than 2 years ago. After that, ALL updates have been about social features (which do require a Facebook account, it's a fact) and Quest features. When it comes to PCVR, improvements were minor, and we got no new features at all.

That said, Link has the potential to be great, so I'm glad that they're focusing on that for now. The problem is we've been hanging on for way too long on the PCVR side. It's retarded that they didn't work on a performance mode that allows to run VR apps with the absolute minimum.

While you are quite welcome to your opinion on all this, I kinda disagree with most of them.  Again, just my opinion(s).

First of all I think that Oculus has done a very good job improving pcvr over the past couple of years.  For me (Rift cv1) up until ~1.38/1.39 I think that the performance/features improved quite a bit and the platform was very stable. Once v12 software was introduced it's been downhill.

I blame their need to make the Quest Link (which is still in beta btw) work at all costs.  Very silly imho and Oculus should have just kept separate software app for Rift (S and cv1) and the Quest Link.  At least until the Quest Link was stable and out of Beta.

As far as making pcvr work on the lowest PC specs possible by providing a performance mode that's just about the worse thing to do because it will do nothing but induce motion sickness and poor visual results.  If you want good pcvr then you need a good pcvr PC (even with the Quest Link).  WMR already has a low 60fps performance mode that you can even run with an integrated cpu.  Try it and I assure you will not like it (I tried this a long time ago btw).

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.  I still have not got the v14 update but I suspect it isn't going to float my boat, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

RattyUK said:

Interesting...

You are not the exception but if you research this issue you will find that there is an absolutely massive amount of people who have been unable to reliably use their Rift S since the version 12 driver release in December. Probably 50 posts here about it, even more on Reddit, some developers have even complained, and now Tech websites are publishing articles about it. Read some of the reviews on Amazon in the last couple months. The S is seriously p*ssing people off. Most people have no idea that the problems were introduced through an update, they just assume the hardware is flawed. 

Since I am one of the ones effected I am obviously not a big fan of Oculus anymore and the frequent updates for Quest or for silly additions (avatar features, etc..) are frustrating when they continue to ignore such a huge problem that renders our product useless.

huliqan
Adventurer

TomCgcmfc said:

To startup in homeless just go to your pc Oculus desktop app settings/ general and at around the bottom disable the start in oculus home slider. 

No,it constantly keeps the dash running with grid and dash-panel ! And with oculus homeless file i have no dash and no room(home) !!!
With oculus homeless file more performance !!!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

huliqan said:

TomCgcmfc said:

To startup in homeless just go to your pc Oculus desktop app settings/ general and at around the bottom disable the start in oculus home slider. 

No,it constantly keeps the dash running with grid and dash-panel ! And with oculus homeless file i have no dash and no room(home) !!!
With oculus homeless file more performance !!!

Ok, if you say so, lol!  I'm not sure why you would not want to be able to call up your dashboard when you need it?  Dash will still run in any case because it's the backbone of Oculus runtime.  Anyway, if you think it's doing you a lot of good, that's great imho.