cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S being unstable with games

MLDKF
Explorer

For the past few months (I want to say since, like, June) my Rift S is constantly having problems staying stable. Some examples include:

• Whenever I play on VRChat, it isn't uncommon for my view to go black, only for me to come back in a crouching pose and being unable to actually put myself in a proper position unless I restarted the game entirely
  • When playing any games on Steam VR, if my computer itself didn't crash on me, the games themselves would frequently black out and then come back in for maybe a second or two before it blacks out or the game crashes entirely
  • Even just playing in the base Oculus world doesn't work, as it would go black without doing anything besides just teleporting around

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

4 REPLIES 4

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there MLDKF, we can imagine that having apps crashing like this can really hinder your immersive experience. We see that this is happening with VRChat, but to clarify, is it happening with other games? Also, when this started happening back in June, did you update or change anything on your PC? 

While we wait to hear back from you, we also recommend ensuring that your Link graphics settings are set to default by doing the following:

1. Open the Oculus app on your Computer.
  2. Click Devices on the left side of the app.
  3. Click Quest and Touch.
  4. Click Graphics Preferences.
  5. Click Reset to default.
  6. Click Save and Restart
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Yes, this has been happening with SteamVR (and two games available via SteamVR: "Pavlov VR" and "Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, & Hand Grenades"), Superhot VR, and even the Home part of the default Occulus app on my PC. I had changed my Hard Drive back in Late April due to the previous one suddenly failing, but everything was still fine back then. Once June hit, things started going wrong. And the only updates to my PC are Windows updates

As for the graphics settings default, the setting was already set to "Automatic"

Thank you for letting us know! Are you currently running Windows 11? If so, this could play a big part in the issue as it's not fully supported just yet. So to ensure the best performance, we still recommend using Windows 10. 

Now, if that is what you are using, we may want to take a closer look at your logs that way we can suggest more options for you! If you could submit a ticket with us here and include your logs that would help us take a deeper dive. Here are the steps to gather those: 

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
  2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
    • The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed Oculus Home to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
  3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
  4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
  5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
  6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.
  7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

We look forward to helping you resolve this issue, so we look forward to hearing back from you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi Support,

How about you fix the windows 11 issue instead of pointing people to a downgrade to windows 10, every other mainstream manufacturer has managed to realease drivers for windows 11 except for yourselves. I have raised mutliple direct messages into support as asked by yourselves and get no response, your level of customer support is shocking. Could it be that now that now the rift s is legacy you dont care anymore. i will not be buying another one of your products ever again. I am now going to trawl through every forum post and reply the same as you dont seem to care