cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S owners who had the Displayport issue and FIXED it: How?

pardalis
Explorer
Picked up a Rift S recently and it refuses to work because of the well-known displayport issue. I've already submitted a ticket, but I thought I'd try to gather info from the community as to which fixes worked and which didn't.

The specific issue I'm talking about is where after connecting the Rift S, both connections will seem OK for a few seconds, but then the Displayport disconnects and you're left with one of these status screens in the Oculus app:
hrwcjnbek1g2.pngy07o9desfx64.png
There's plenty of speculation as to the cause of this issue and no official word from Oculus as far as my research goes, the most likely culprits seem to be a power delivery issue where the headset is drawing too much power for the USB port to keep up (which, for some reason, causes an issue with the DP connection rather than the USB one), a bad cable, or a software/firmware issue caused by the 2019 update that brought Facebook integration to the Oculus app (this is, again, pure speculation, but there are a few articles that suggest these issues became more prevalent when that update dropped)

The behavior is the same for every "plug-in procedure" as Oculus describes it: Connect the USB3 cable, wait 10 seconds (the LED between the lenses goes from off, to amber, to white, and stays there- nothing from the displays themselves), connect Displayport. 

Here's everything I've tried so far, collected from forums and other sources:
  • Rebooting
  • Reinstalling Oculus app
  • Disabling power-management USB suspend options
  • Disabling USB suspend on USB devices through Device Manager
  • Updating video drivers
  • Reinstalling video drivers
  • Reinstalling video drivers using DDU and Safe Mode to fully wipe the previous driver
  • Running C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers\oculus-driver.exe , which starts silently and doesn't pop up any kind of status window, which seems like a bad way to design software but whatever
  • Connecting the headset through every available USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 port on my computer, using the proper "plug-in procedure" each time
  • Connecting a single monitor through HDMI rather than Displayport or DVI
  • Disconnecting all other non-essential USB devices
  • Checking the seating of the connectors on both the computer side and headset side
  • Checking the integrity of the cable, connectors, and headset, for kinks/frays/etc
  • Unplugging audio devices from the headset

Here's what I've seen online, but haven't been able to try yet:
  • Using a dedicated, powered PCI-E USB 3.0 card, specifically the Inateck KT4001 as (apparently) recommended by oculus support 
  • Using the above card but with different drivers (the ones that come with it, the ones Windows installs automatically, whatever "Fresco" drivers are, etc)
  • Using a powered USB 3.0 hub
  • Replacing the cable
  • Replacing the GPU
  • Replacing the entire headset
  • Replacing the entire computer

The fixes I haven't been able to try seem hit-or-miss, though the PCI-E card seems to have worked for some.

So here's my question to you, Rift S user who's fixed this issue: What did you do? What has worked out for you? If your headset worked and then suddenly didn't, do you remember around what time it happened or what you did around that time?

If your answer is "I stopped using a cable extender" or "I stopped using a mini-DP to DP converter" or whatever else, that answer doesn't apply to this issue. This issue is specific to the Rift S in its intended setup, with no dongles or adapters involved.

Once again i've already submitted a ticket and am working through the issue personally, this isn't me asking for solutions, it's me asking for experiences from people who had this issue and got it fixed.
57 REPLIES 57

joss_curnuck
Honored Guest
Hey Pardalis,

I have just experienced the same issue just over a week ago with my new Rift S. I was going around in circles, I did everything to wiping my PC, all the same troubleshooting steps you have done. I didn't see it listed on the forums but I had a Powered USB Hub handy and gave that a shot. I can confirm this fixed my issue immediately. I have USB 3.0 and VR Ready 3.1 slots available on my machine so the fact it doesn't work on any of those are a worry. seems like a misleading technical requirement that Oculus have no clue about as their support had no resolutions for me.

I wish you the best in finding a resolution for this and I hope my fix also works for you.

Regards
Joss

Bryaan_
Explorer
Hello,
I have the same problem since a few days. Still not having found a solution with the support, so I came here. So for you a Powered USB Hub solved the problem ? Can you tell me which HUB you have used ?

beastman666m
Explorer
Same problem since yesterday. there are a few things that may have triggered the problem:

- Ysterday I have installed a new monitor (going from Full-HD 60 Hz HDMI-Port to WQHD 144Hz Display-Port Freesync)
- Yesterday there was a Windows 10 December Update
- Yesterday there was an optional Windows 10 graphics driver update (i immediately replaced with latest AMD-driver which i used previously without problems)
- There was an Oculus update 17 days ago

I did the same steps as OP to no avail.

I removed ALL Oculus-stuff from all directories and registry. This evening I will reinstall from scratch and see if this resolved the problem. Perhaps I will even try to plug my old monitor...

I have a AMD Ryzen 1700 and RX 580 with 16 GB RAM. Until yesterday my Rift S worked without problem.

News from this evening: I reinstalled Oculus software and all is good.

So my solution was: I removed ALL Oculus-stuff from all directories and registry and reinstall.

SeanMFRussell
Explorer
I'm having the same issues.  Bought it a few days ago and played fine for the first night.  Went to bed and when I woke up I had the same issue as the OP, tried reinstalling, updating drivers, uninstalled drivers and reinstalled, confirmed the ports work and nothing.. it's just not recognizing my display port.  If any of you find success in fixing it PLEASE come back and let us know what worked.. there isn't a lot of concrete information and Oculus staff are basically saying "unplug and plug it back in" , which is just insulting.

grillby305
Honored Guest
Hello,
I'm having the same problem and have done everything I can, I've looked up and have done everything with no luck ( including all the stuff pardalis listed). It has gotten to the point that its unplayable. And I think pardalis has a point, all my problems started with the 2019 "Facebook integration" update. At this point, I'm just gonna upgrade to a value index, so at least I can PLAY in vr. 

DKMaxx
Honored Guest
Hi All,

It appears i'm have the same issues with both the headset (displayport disconnect during use, then reconnecting) and oculus support (i have a ticket open) and i have been directed here by oculus support. I recently had a new PC built and the motherboard (gigabyte B550) has USB3.2 ports, for infor the GPU is a RTX 3070 and the CPU a Ryzen 5600X) I recently purchased this powered USB hub (Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports) and I'm still having no joy. All drivers and windows are up to date. How have you used the powered USB Hub, to get it to work, have you plugged everything into the hub just leaving the headset goining into the motherboard ? or the other way around so everything plugged into the PC and just the VR headset into the powered USB hub. I been going around in circles for a while now and hoping there is somebody here that can help.

Honored Guest
I've had this happen multiple times on multiple Rift-S units. Replacement of the cord fixed the issue every time. Not sure why the cords fail, but I believe it's an internal connection fault.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Get a powered hub - problem goes away.

nindivid
Honored Guest
Fixed all my problems with ORIENT NC-3U2PE.