cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S screen becomes grainy/snowy for a fraction of a second every once in a while for no reason

euliver
Level 2
I already updated all possibly related drivers (Windows 10, Oculus and Nvidia) and checked the cable connections on both ends, it doesn't seem to be a connectivity problem as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to be related to moving the cable or not at all. The screen just randomly turns grainy/snowy (like a grainy TV screen used to I guess) for a fraction of a second for no reason while playing games, but immediately returns to normal. It just flashes. Doesn't matter which game or software I try either. I'm worried it might be a hardware problem, but that seems unlikely too, wouldn't the Rift S just shut off completely if it just lost connection? Not sure. Anyway, it isn't all that bothersome and happens rarely and randomly, but I'd certainly prefer it if this wouldn't happen anymore, and not just because I fear it might become worse. I hope it's a software problem and that I can find out what causes it soon, so that I won't have to return the unit.

142 REPLIES 142

Zahariel
Level 5
Just got an update from 'Support' on my ticket - asking me to enrol in the PTC and get the latest version as "We've included updates that should help."

"Should....." is not very inspiring...

Just downloaded it and I'll give it a whirl tomorrow but seems like as you have already tried it, and it's not a complete fix.

MAC_MAN86
Level 9
Reading all the Users that it made worse and had to roll back - NO thanks!!!

cybernettr
Level 9
 I had the same thing on the CV1 (twice). It was a sign the displays were about to go out. 

AlexAtkinUK
Level 4
Pretty sure its signal loss/RF interference over DisplayPort, as its awfully similar to what my monitor has done once or twice especially when the A/C fires up.  I specifically saw it happen on the Rift S EXACTLY when the compressor turned on my A/C, would be quite a fluke if it wasn't one trigger.

Of course it didn't happen EVERY time the A/C fired up and does happen even without the A/C turning on, but that the nature of random data loss, its more likely to be triggered by something but can just as equally happen totally randomly. (or even if its the neighbours fridge or A/C turning on)

This doesn't mean it can't be fixed by software though as it could just be a flaw in the timings of the DP firmware, bug in the error correction, etc.  It would be pretty tragic if it was a hardware issue and entirely dependent on the signal strength of your particular GPU, but I've seen that too with long HDMI cables and my TV.  I suppose maybe if it was, just upgrading the Rift S cable to a higher wire gague might fix it?  Its how I had to fix the problem with my TV.

mhajii210
Level 5
Guys anyone figured out how to prevent the static flashes from appearing? I'm still getting about 2-3 per hour. Anyone tried limiting CPU cores or anything else that you found that helps? This is my only issue with my headset, and even though it doesn't happen very often, when it does it's really immersion breaking.

MAC_MAN86
Level 9
Tried Priorities. Didn't try CPU cores actually but those are temporary if they happen to work. I can bare them until then.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Pretty sure its signal loss/RF interference over DisplayPort, as its awfully similar to what my monitor has done once or twice especially when the A/C fires up.  I specifically saw it happen on the Rift S EXACTLY when the compressor turned on my A/C, would be quite a fluke if it wasn't one trigger.

I really don't think this is the cause for this particular issue.

It seems to be occurring with very similar regularity for most users and here in the uk A/C isn't a thing unless you're in an office or large building. Certainly in my case, there's nothing in the house switching on or off at this 30 - 45 minute interval.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

Zahariel
Level 5
Latest update on my ticket from OC support is..... "we will do our best to contact you back with more information or an update in the next 3-4 business days"

😞

AlexAtkinUK
Level 4

I really don't think this is the cause for this particular issue.

It seems to be occurring with very similar regularity for most users and here in the uk A/C isn't a thing unless you're in an office or large building. Certainly in my case, there's nothing in the house switching on or off at this 30 - 45 minute interval.

Like I said, I don't think its limited to the A/C but its more likely to trigger it due to causing RF interference in general.  Someone suggested the Rift S uses HDCP which is definitely more prone to issues, especially with cable length.

On my old surround receiver I had to turn off HDCP or my PS4 Pro would temporarily lose signal.

Zahariel
Level 5
They're sending out a new cable to me as well so it looks like they are following the same pattern as before with nothing new so far.