cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift and laptop performance optimization

slickwidnick
Level 2

So I need someone to help me get pokerstars vr to run on my asus tuf a15 laptop. I ran the rift and rift s compatibility tool on it and it says everything is all good for the rift and the rift s to run, but any time I try to play pokerstars vr it loads up a table and it lags too much to be playable. My laptop is running a geforce gtx 1650 with 16 gigs of ram, win 10 64bit, AMD ryzen 7 4800h radio radeon graphics, and usb 3.0 ports. I've tried so many things to get it to run as optimized as I know how and what to tweak, but I must be missing something. So I'm asking for someone to walk me through everything I can do to free up system resources to get it to run. I bought the oculus quest first and used to play the rift version of pokerstars over the virtual desktop way, but that doesnt work, so I figured I'd pick up a cheap used rift and play it directly through that, and it will load up the lobby just fine, but as soon as I go to a table its just choppy and laggy and impossible to play. If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it, otherwise I'll just buy all the parts for a desktop and just spend more money to get this thing working. Thanks to anyone that can help in advance!

1 REPLY 1

TomCgcmfc
Level 16

From ~1.5 years ago from Oculus;

The Oculus Compatibility Tool is no longer supported and will not be receiving future updates. View the Rift S and Rift minimum and recommended specifications. ... Upgrade the components you need to meet the minimum or recommended system specifications.

So I don't think you can sensibly use results for this test.  In your case a 1650 laptop version is probably not going to work with a Rift (S or cv1).  The laptop versions are much less powerful than the desktop versions.  Nor is it compatible or supported with Quest (1 or 2) using a Link cable.  If you want good PCVR you are going to need a much better PC (preferably a desktop).  Either that or just get a Quest 2 and enjoy excellent standalone mobile VR.  Later, if you get a better PC you'll be able to play PCVR with a Link cable or if you have a good router/wifi setup wireless with Virtual Desktop or the soon to be released Oculus Air Link.  For wireless you'll need to have your PC Ethernet wired to your router and good 5Ghz wifi close by , preferably in the same room.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.