cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift cv1 vs Rift S Take 2, TomC

TomCgcmfc
Level 16
As my previous post;

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/96338/oculus-rift-s-on-sale-for-us-299

I was pretty keen on trying to make a Rift S my primary Oculus app pcvr headset.  Anyway, for us$299 I decided to try it again.

The Rift S is a great pcvr headset and I still highly recommend it for all PCVR newbies . However, compared to my current OLED Rift cv1 and Vive Pro headsets,, it pales in comparison. 

The Rift S I bought was my 2nd one.  I originally pre-ordered a Rift S May 2019.  After a few weeks use I returned it for a refund because I did not think it was a significant upgrade and at the time the tracking was not very good and the audio was very poor.  Since then, the tracking has improved, but it is still not up to cv1 or valve base stations standards, nor has the audio improved imho.

After quite a few tests I've returned my Rift S to Amazon for a refund, which I got within 24hrs btw.

Another problem I had, which may not effect all users, is that I like to switch over my Oculus and SteamVR  headsets like my Vive Pro.  I use OTT to turn on/off  Oculus runtime services (set to manual btw) and use my Vive Pro Link Box on/off switch.  With my cv1 this has never been a problem.   With my Rift S this was not always the case, about 50% of the time,  The problem seems to be that the device manager/image//rift s does not always properly turn on/off this device.  Restarting oculus runtime services normally fixes this.  Changing usb or DP ports does not seem to make any difference.  Not sure why this only seems to be a Rift S issue for me?  Anyway, now not so much a problem for me, lol!
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, Corsair 750w, Quest 1 w/Link and wireless w/VD, Vive Pro.
2 REPLIES 2

RuneSR2
Level 16
Somehow fits my thoughts after playing Above & Beyond using both CV1 and Index. Index has many advantages, and the higher res does make me see details I didn't notice using the CV1. 

But let's take the level on the ferry - before you go into the Higgins Boat. It doesn't look right with the Index, blacks aren't right - looks more fake-ish, but still highly playable. Now, using CV1 everything just looks real - shadows just look right, even with lower res and SDE everything just look more real. 

That said Alyx looks awesome - to me it just proves that games need to be made for lcd to truly shine on lcd.

Also Chronos looks great using big fov in the Index - and plays nicely, but using CV1 ss 2.0 there's just no doubt that this is the way it's meant to be played. Using CV1 you instantly know you're getting the vision the devs tried to create. Using Index res 150% there's still jaggies in Chronos, not much, but they're definitely there - using CV1 ss 2.0 I really do not notice any jaggies. 

I'd probably perfer lcd for games made for lcd hmds, but right know it feels like at least 95% of my VR games were made for gen1 oled hmds. You might need to use oled a lot to notice these differences - or play some Gnomes & Goblins, and CV1 ss 2.0 is so much ahead of lcd that there's simply no comparison. That's why I can live without lcd, but I'm not ready to part with my CV1. 2c.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
Level 16
@RuneSR2  Thanks mate.  Ya, actually Alyx looked great with the Rift S.  Probably better than my cv1 actually.  Still not as good as with my oled Vive Pro though.  Like you say, hopefully in the future more developers will put out more lcd friendly games.
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, Corsair 750w, Quest 1 w/Link and wireless w/VD, Vive Pro.