cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift s mic issue (Solved)

matthew_ang_31
Honored Guest
hey guys, regular rift s user here. If you’re like me, who suffered regular mic snaps while using the rift s, it’s your lucky day! I recently came out with a solution for that and it is surprisingly easy. First, you have to download an app called voicemod (totally free!). It will then allow you to gain access to a new default microphone. So what you have to do is then to list your rift s microphone as the input and output audio in the VOICEMOD app itself. Then, you will have to go to your sound settings (input, output audio settings) on your pc and change your default mic to the voicemod microphone. Afterwhich you may have to go to the oculus app and do the same - as in to change the default mic to the voicemod mic. 

Eg. For those playing VRchat, remember to switch your microphone in-game to the voicemod microphone!

Hope this helps!
14 REPLIES 14

Fangzhou
Adventurer
 😐 I bought a $120 ModMic Wireless to solve the Rift S microphone problem last week.
Now I saw this thread

Downluck
Protege

hey guys, regular rift s user here. If you’re like me, who suffered regular mic snaps while using the rift s, it’s your lucky day! I recently came out with a solution for that and it is surprisingly easy. First, you have to download an app called voicemod (totally free!). It will then allow you to gain access to a new default microphone. So what you have to do is then to list your rift s microphone as the input and output audio in the VOICEMOD app itself. Then, you will have to go to your sound settings (input, output audio settings) on your pc and change your default mic to the voicemod microphone. Afterwhich you may have to go to the oculus app and do the same - as in to change the default mic to the voicemod mic. 

Eg. For those playing VRchat, remember to switch your microphone in-game to the voicemod microphone!

Hope this helps!

It didn't work for me, but hope it works for you, I'm still getting the mic problem with the freaking mettalic voice. Maybe it'll get back again for you too, it's because you can play whole sessions without getting the issue, but sooner or later it comes up, even if you're using another app to capture it. I bought a PCI-e USB 3.0 card to see if it could solve the problem since it could be a power issue on the mb usb port. Since I installed it, the issue decreased a lot, but I'm still getting it sometimes. I think Oculus will never solve it, so we need to live with it.

Downluck
Protege

Fangzhou said:

😐 I bought a $120 ModMic Wireless to solve the Rift S microphone problem last week.
Now I saw this thread

I also did an investment on a USB PCI-e Card, didn't work though. At least with a new mic you will never get this again, but it's still an inconvenience and doesn't justify the staff just ignore the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully all of you experiencing this have opened support tickets with Oculus on it?
The more the better - do not depend on them reading about it on the forums.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
As stated above open a ticket Why is this marked solved ?  Purchasing a $120 mic or using a third party program is not solving the problem. This should be labeled as workaround.

Downluck
Protege

dburne said:

Hopefully all of you experiencing this have opened support tickets with Oculus on it?
The more the better - do not depend on them reading about it on the forums.

Yep, I opened a ticket and they couldn't help me. I also opened an Uservoice topic (link https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38299354-fix-rift-s-microphone-intermittent-quality-droppin) just for trying to get it resolved. Actually I'm done already about this issue, completely hopeless about when it will get solved. 😕

Orkel
Adventurer
Bumping this because Oculus still hasn't fixed the static mic issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I gave up on my Rift S Mic and purchased an inexpensive USB desktop mic, works great every time.

MPires
Heroic Explorer
Hi Dburne can you give the indication of the mic you bought? thanks.